PDA

View Full Version : Help using ipad+mifi abroad

ferritt
Oct 1, 2010, 11:04 AM
Hi,

I'm travelling to the states in the new year and i'm planning on bringing my ipad (wifi only) with me. I have an unlocked mifi device and am also planning to bring that with me. I know i can use the current sim card thats in there already (3UK) but the roaming charges will be very high so can I pop into a AT&T or T-Mobile store once I've arrived and pick up a data sim to use in the mifi? Do AT&T/T-mobile even do such a thing.

Any help/advice would be great

cheers

nixiemaiden
Oct 1, 2010, 01:24 PM
I don't think they support it. I know they don't sell mifi devices and from what I have read it looks like people take their sim cards out of other devices and put them in their mifi to get them to work. I think you would have to have an already activated sim card to get it to work.

ferritt
Oct 1, 2010, 02:45 PM
Is there not like a pre pay voice and data sim. Obviously I will only be using the data. I'm surprised nothing like this exists?

Cheers

ferritt
Oct 2, 2010, 06:28 AM
Ok so after abit of googling I found out it's possible to get a ipad AT&T microsim and use the normal sim adapter and place in the mifi. I then enter https://dcp2.att.com/OEPClient/openPage?IMEI=X&ICCID=Y (changing x for 0 and y for the sim card number) into my iPad. This will appear as it's the AT&T data sign up page like on the iPad 3G. Sign up to the required plan as normal. Then I have to add the correct apn setting to the mifi so it will connect to AT&T.

This method seems to work on iPhones so I would assume it should work with a mifi

Obviously I can't check if this works until I'm actually in the states.

Cheers