PDA

View Full Version : Buddy/Ignore buttons in my OWN profile???

wrldwzrd89
Dec 27, 2004, 05:11 AM
What's the point of the buddy/ignore buttons appearing if I look at my own profile? Surely adding myself as a buddy is pointless, and ignoring myself might actually be dangerous, as I couldn't see my own posts :eek:

PlaceofDis
Dec 27, 2004, 04:59 PM
the only thing i could think of is so YOU cant see your own post, so that in a thead where you have a lot of posts you dont have to scroll through them all

but thats not the smartest thing anyways so its a feeble attempt for a reason

Sun Baked
Dec 27, 2004, 05:10 PM
Even with the ignore on, you still know they are posting.

It's much better when you cannot see them at all, there's at least one user I cannot see anything on at all (that is still posting) -- and it's so nice not to see any of his posts, the ignore post flag, or even a hint in the pages source that the member is still posting.

Edit: of course the ignore self feature would work quite well if you think your own posts, or signature, are annoying.

wrldwzrd89
Dec 27, 2004, 05:13 PM
Even with the ignore on, you still know they are posting.

It's much better when you cannot see them at all, there's at least one user I cannot see anything on at all (that is still posting) -- and it's so nice not to see any of his posts, the ignore post flag, or even a hint in the pages source that the member is still posting.
I've never messed around with the ignore feature (or the buddy feature for that matter) so I didn't know that. Thanks for the information Sun Baked; I'm still utterly baffled by this though. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than laziness by the maintainers of the software this forum uses.

Knox
Dec 31, 2004, 11:04 AM
What's the point of the buddy/ignore buttons appearing if I look at my own profile? Surely adding myself as a buddy is pointless, and ignoring myself might actually be dangerous, as I couldn't see my own posts :eek:

When I created a forum for one of my own sites I assumed that removing the links from your own posts/profile would be a good idea, however some people assumed that because the links weren't there for them, they weren't there for everyone else as well. Instead, I added the links in but added an error message when you clicked it, which appears to be what vBulletin does as well.

wrldwzrd89
Dec 31, 2004, 11:08 AM
When I created a forum for one of my own sites I assumed that removing the links from your own posts/profile would be a good idea, however some people assumed that because the links weren't there for them, they weren't there for everyone else as well. Instead, I added the links in but added an error message when you clicked it, which appears to be what vBulletin does as well.
That explains it then. Thanks Knox!