Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
This is the second time that this has happened to my system disk icon! It happens when I run norton utilities on my system disk. It always turns the normal hard disk icon into the black&white folder icon...which isn't even on the same hard drive!:eek: The first time it hapened I tried to fix it using SilverLiningPro...When I changed the icon in silverliningpro it crashed...hard! I restarted and it couldn't read the disk...so I re-formatted and had to re-install EVERYTHING! How can I fix it this time?:confused:

btw, the reason I ran Norton was because I am getting ready to install Jag and I wanted my drives to be perfect!:rolleyes:

[edit: NOW IT'S NOT LETTING ME CHANGE MY DRIVE'S NAMES!!!!:eek: PLEASE HELP!:eek:]

This is a wierd one...:eek:

Attachments

• finder  1.jpg
    finder 1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 330

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Try rebuilding the desktop and stop using Norton if it is messing up your computer.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
When was the last time you booted into OS 9 and rebuilt the desktop?

Or ran fsck -y? Disk first aid? etc.

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I'm going to rebuild the desktop now...Here are the results of disk first aid:

Attachments

• disk first aid  1.jpg
    disk first aid 1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 306

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Well, semi-success...after rebuilding the desktop file on all of the drives I can now change their names...but I still have that wierd icon for my os9 partition...
Have you also tried resetting the open firmware or zapping the PRAM?
That's next...

Attachments

• finder  1.jpg
    finder 1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 286

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I have never seen that type of folder anywhere before. Did you have an application/utility that customized your Hard Drive icon? Also, did you try selecting that folder, go to Get Info, select the folder icon in the Info window, and hitting delete? This MIGHT restore the original icon.

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
GREAT!:mad: :mad: Zapping the PRAM mortally wounded the computer...It chimes on startup, but then doesn't do anything else!!!:eek: :eek: Just blackness on screen!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The zapping of the pram may have killed the SCSI disk startup info stored in the pram.

You may need to boot off the CD and reselect the SCSI startup disk again.

What type of video setup are you running?

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I tried starting up from the CD already! It just sits there!!!! Black screen...the monitor says it's not getting any video...and if it were the video card the hard disk(or CD)would still be doing stuff right?

I'm running an ATI Radeon Mac Edition with an old apple 15"AV monitor...I don't think that's the problem...

btw...the hard drive and the CD drive do spin up but they don't do anything after that! I'm running 9.1

HAAALP!!!!!

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
well, this is after the fact, but still food for thought.

i know a lot of people swear by norton stuff, and i am not attempting to discredit those people, but...

i own a small design studio, and we never had any problems with our computers. then our contract tech guy installed norton on our macs, and our one pc. things went well for three months. no problems. then, exactly three months to the day after he ran the installs, we had:

not one...
not two...
but THREE!!! (two macs, and the PC)

hard drive failures which appeared to be mortal...but wait...norton fixed them! too coincidental for us. so we never used the product since. and have never had a similar problem. i've hear of similar issues ocurring with other people.

so...the moral of the story is.....

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
So why isn't it booting from the CD then???????? I'll just go pick up an old internal scsi drive if I need to, but why won't the CD boot???? I need to be able to boot from the CD to install again!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Unplug the firewire drive and anything else besides the keyboard and mouse plugged into the usb and firewire ports.

Since you've already zapped pram you might as well try a nvram reset under open firmware.

Restart and hold down command-option-o-f, then type in the following lines at the prompts including the dash (followed by return of course).

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all

EDIT sorry command-option-o-f (i think)

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I have done a little bit of tech work in my small time and problems like this just happen ALL THE TIME.

Basically, do not just think that it is not possible for something to be the answer, you just try the most obscure things.

If you are still writing to us, you obviously have another machine... if the monitor is bigger than the one on the other machine or can get to higher resolutions, try putting it on that machine. Zapping the PRAM also can reset the resolution on the machine and it might have been reset to a value higher than the capability of the monitor.

Did you zap the PRAM from the board or using the key command?

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by MacMaster
I can't even get that to work!!!

HAAAAAAALLLLPPPPP!!!!!

Hey, calm down... things can only be fixed if you stop and think in a calm manner.

By the way, I know it sounds silly but just check all of your plugs and make sure they are firmly in place.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
command-option-o-f should boot you into the open firmware screen if you're running any open firmware mac. You should see something on the screen.

The only reason I asked about video was that an expansion card in the PCI slot may be dark at the moment, because all the video is running on the original card - which you may not be plugged into.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by MacMaster
I have an ibook and 2 imacs, and yes I did both...

Ok, I can not find what machine you are on. What machine is this and, apart from the monitor being a 15AV, tell me the basic stats.

When you say black you mean black as in you never get a signal?!

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
YAY!!! Well kinda...I put all the original stuff back in...604 orig vid card etc and it boots! more later....

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Well it looks like it fried my Radeon......wait!!! NO!!! The monitor is getting signal yay!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.