PDA

View Full Version : Beta 3 Issues

King Antonius
Oct 13, 2010, 03:37 AM
Discuss any issues you find here.

One I have noticed that has been there from beta 1, is not being able to import photos from the gallery into apps like Pages and iMockups. Pages just doesn't do anything when you tap on the image, iMockups imports an empty box.. it's pretty annoying and I'm contemplating going back to 3.2.2 temporarily.

matins
Oct 13, 2010, 03:47 AM
minor bug?
seems like it's not possible to slide the screenshots of the apps in the App Store (I succeeded just once)

zamenhof
Oct 13, 2010, 05:35 AM
The third time I tried Winnie the Pooh it get downloaded. Before that it says the item is no longer available.

freemini
Oct 13, 2010, 05:44 AM
No issues so far, but iTunes 10.1 beta 2 really sucks. It freezes every time I try to install iPhone apps on my iPad. The moment I go down to iPhone apps(in the Apps tab for my iPad) it just freezes. It's the win64 version.

Phil A.
Oct 13, 2010, 06:18 AM

One I have noticed that has been there from beta 1, is not being able to import photos from the gallery into apps like Pages and iMockups. Pages just doesn't do anything when you tap on the image, iMockups imports an empty box.. it's pretty annoying and I'm contemplating going back to 3.2.2 temporarily.

Yeah, it is a bit annoying, but don't forget you can use copy and paste to get pictures into Pages and with multi-tasking it's not too painful to switch between the photo library and pages

The issue with purchased iBooks is documented in the release notes for Beta 3

Coukos34
Oct 13, 2010, 06:21 AM
minor bug?
seems like it's not possible to slide the screenshots of the apps in the App Store (I succeeded just once)

I noticed this as well. Other than that, has been very impressive build so far (for me). Alot smoother then beta 2

Phil A.
Oct 13, 2010, 06:25 AM
I noticed this as well. Other than that, has been very impressive build so far (for me). Alot smoother then beta 2

Just double tap on the picture and it then allows you to scroll through the pictures. A long single tap seems to work too, but I find double-tap easier

King Antonius
Oct 13, 2010, 06:51 AM
Yeah, it is a bit annoying, but don't forget you can use copy and paste to get pictures into Pages and with multi-tasking it's not too painful to switch between the photo library and pages3

LIFESAVER!

andybno1
Oct 13, 2010, 06:56 AM
No issues so far, but iTunes 10.1 beta 2 really sucks. It freezes every time I try to install iPhone apps on my iPad. The moment I go down to iPhone apps(in the Apps tab for my iPad) it just freezes. It's the win64 version.
downgrade to the 10.01 stable version on apple.com? seems to be working fine for me, I only downgraded so I could use remote app with iTunes and generally don't seem to have any issues, I do get the odd no reason for it freeze up which I have had with all windows versions

BryanLyle
Oct 13, 2010, 07:24 AM
Netflix is still broke for me :(

saberahul
Oct 13, 2010, 07:59 AM

Sigh. I was hoping no one would say that!

hcho3
Oct 13, 2010, 08:13 AM

That's why it's BETA!

Stevessvt
Oct 13, 2010, 08:23 AM
My banking software is broken along with netflix for me too.

guywoodman7
Oct 13, 2010, 09:05 AM
I had issues with iBooks. I'm in the middle of reading a book right now and it refused to open. I kept getting the "a necessary resource is missing, book cannot be loaded" error (that's not worded properly). Also in order to sync my bookmarks across devices I keep getting prompted to sign in. I sign in and it continues asking me to sign in.

However I have a couple of books in my library that i haven't even opened up. I tried those and they work fine.

I've tried everything, restore, set up as new iPad, delete iBooks and redownload, delete book and redownload. Nothing works.

I ended up going back to beta 2 as iBooks is one of the features I use most on the ipad.

Anyone else experiencing this?

EssentialParado
Oct 13, 2010, 09:11 AM
I think i'll probably be fine to stick with beta 2 until the public release of 4.2 comes out now. It's a slight hassle to keep updating every week, and beta 2 is pretty stable. Just gotta hope Apple don't ask me to update any of my bug reports.

Netflix is not part of the OS. It's unlikely to become fixed in a beta, it probably needs Netflix to go back and issue an update to make the app run under iOS 4.x.

melman101
Oct 13, 2010, 09:16 AM
I had issues with iBooks. I'm in the middle of reading a book right now and it refused to open. I kept getting the "a necessary resource is missing, book cannot be loaded" error (that's not worded properly). Also in order to sync my bookmarks across devices I keep getting prompted to sign in. I sign in and it continues asking me to sign in.

However I have a couple of books in my library that i haven't even opened up. I tried those and they work fine.

I've tried everything, restore, set up as new iPad, delete iBooks and redownload, delete book and redownload. Nothing works.

I ended up going back to beta 2 as iBooks is one of the features I use most on the ipad.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes, if you look 9 posts up, you'll notice that it is a known issue in Beta 3.

guywoodman7
Oct 13, 2010, 09:39 AM
Yes, if you look 9 posts up, you'll notice that it is a known issue in Beta 3.

Yes I saw that post, but thanks for pointing it out. My issue is different though.

I'm able to download books without problems, as stated in my initial post.

My issue is that I'm unable to get ibooks to realize I'm signed in in order to sync bookmarks. Is this included in the release notes? I am unable to procure them on google at the moment.

Does anyone know where I can find the release notes for beta 3?

THiPad
Oct 13, 2010, 10:44 AM
I'm still running 4.2, Beta2.
Before I put Beta 3 on, can someone answer the following questions?

Are the SOUND settings working in Beta 3 ??
and
If you have MobileMe... does it crash when adding MobileMe email in Settings?

UPDATE: Yes, they fixed the MobileMe email setup so it does not crash.
LINK:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/handheld/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=227701240&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

InformationWeek.com Article:
iOS 4.2 Beta 3 also fixes a number of bugs. The latest software permits users to add their MobileMe account without crashing the entire device. It also now works with the Find My iPad tablet-finding software within MobileMe.

tekchic
Oct 13, 2010, 11:02 AM
Are the SOUND settings working in Beta 3 ??

Sound settings are working again - there's New/Sent mail, Calendar alerts, lock sounds, keyboard clicks, and the volume slider.

3rd party apps broken for me (no biggy): NYT Crosswords, ABC Player, Netflix. Netflix worked (intermittently) for me in beta 2, but no-go in beta 3.

Zcott
Oct 13, 2010, 11:51 AM
iBooks syncing doesn't work; keeps prompting for my password.

Tom359
Oct 13, 2010, 12:04 PM
That's why it's BETA!

Go into Settings, then select Netflix under Apps, then turn "on" the reset slider. Start Netflix, give our ID / password and enjoy streaming again. Mine was borked until I did this.

melman101
Oct 13, 2010, 12:13 PM
Yes I saw that post, but thanks for pointing it out. My issue is different though.

My issue is that I'm unable to get ibooks to realize I'm signed in in order to sync bookmarks. Is this included in the release notes? I am unable to procure them on google at the moment.

Its not about downloading. The known issue is not loading iBooks that have been purchased from the bookstore.

And yes, I have the same issue with the syncing of bookmarks.

hsotnicam8002
Oct 13, 2010, 12:25 PM
I have the bookmark syncing issue too. BTW, my iTunes 10.1 Beta 2 crashes when I try to change the name of a music track.

andybno1
Oct 13, 2010, 12:41 PM
what some people are missing besides the obvious that its a beta is all iPad apps are designed to work with 3.2.2 and not 4.2 :rolleyes:

Coukos34
Oct 13, 2010, 01:06 PM
what some people are missing besides the obvious that its a beta is all iPad apps are designed to work with 3.2.2 and not 4.2 :rolleyes:

Exactly. You don't see actual dev's "complaining" when an app (not their own) they use doesn't work. You know why? Its because its a BETA. If your not a dev, and have it installed, than either enjoy for what it is, or downgrade back to 3.2.2. Last I checked, its not November, therefore it does not make a difference if an app works with 4.2 or not. Dev's stil have plenty of time to release an update before it is officially released.

Shoesy
Oct 13, 2010, 01:23 PM

Before everyone gets all - 'don't discuss beta issues, because it's just a beta' on us can I remind posters that this thread is specifically for that purpose.

:rolleyes:

Coukos34
Oct 13, 2010, 04:08 PM
Before everyone gets all - 'don't discuss beta issues, because it's just a beta' on us can I remind posters that this thread is specifically for that purpose.

:rolleyes:

Fair enough. I think I misconstrue it as complaining when I read certain posts and how they are written. I know I feel privileged to use the betas before the GM is finally released. No complaints here. Multitasking seems smoother on this rev for me.

Phil A.
Oct 13, 2010, 04:32 PM
Exactly. You don't see actual dev's "complaining" when an app (not their own) they use doesn't work. You know why? Its because its a BETA. If your not a dev, and have it installed, than either enjoy for what it is, or downgrade back to 3.2.2. Last I checked, its not November, therefore it does not make a difference if an app works with 4.2 or not. Dev's stil have plenty of time to release an update before it is officially released.

I fully understand what you are saying, but it could be a big issue if Apple changed a core library and broke a load of apps, thereby requiring apps to be updated and resubmitted before they will work on the new OS. I know 4.2 is a lot more than a point release, but if a new version of the OS completely destroyed compatibility with older apps it could well be considered a bug in the OS itself rather than the apps.

suresh31
Oct 13, 2010, 07:23 PM
iBooks syncing doesn't work; keeps prompting for my password.

+1

chrono1081
Oct 13, 2010, 08:13 PM
Wow reading this thread makes me wish there was no way for anyone outside the development community to get beta's.

First of all, this thread shouldn't exist.

Second, its a BETA it will be buggy.

Third, its extremely rude to take about apps that don't work in Beta, potentially hurting sales of that app for the developer. The developer, I assure you, is hard at work updating the app. Unfortunately there are still idiots who say things like "app x doesn't work in this version. I hope they have it fixed by release!" making it sound as if something is wrong with the app, when in reality nothing is wrong with it and it works fine in its current form.

zhenya
Oct 13, 2010, 08:30 PM
I couldn't disagree more. There is huge incentive for a software release to have a wide beta distribution. There is nothing worse than to release something to the public only to discover a major bug a day or two later. (Snow Leopard guest user bug anyone??) Threads like this exist to make sure bugs are found. It's not complaining!!! :rolleyes:

King Antonius
Oct 13, 2010, 08:48 PM
First of all, this thread shouldn't exist.

Why? It is to discuss bugs we have found. Yes, I know it is a beta. Yes it will be buggy. But it is just to discover issues with the beta.

Maybe it may help someone decide if they are upgrading to it (for example a dev that writes an app that requires the picture insert feature, they are going to be pretty stuck at the moment as that seems to be broken in every app i've tried).

xraytech
Oct 14, 2010, 12:19 AM
The core functions seem to be fine. The apps that are the issue.

So far...

NetFlix (worked under Beta 2)
Early Edition (never worked in any of the Betas)
Implode (never worked in any of the Betas)

melman101
Oct 14, 2010, 05:17 AM
I think the battery is worse in Beta 3 then Beta 2. But it could be in my head. :-)

Phil A.
Oct 14, 2010, 09:05 AM
I think the battery is worse in Beta 3 then Beta 2. But it could be in my head. :-)

I found the battery life really, really bad (dropping 1% a minute) when I did an update to beta 3. However, after I went back and did a clean restore update to Beta 3 I've found the battery life to be back to normal

melman101
Oct 14, 2010, 09:58 AM
I found the battery life really, really bad (dropping 1% a minute) when I did an update to beta 3. However, after I went back and did a clean restore update to Beta 3 I've found the battery life to be back to normal

Hmm that's interesting. I wonder if I should do a clean restore. But I really do not want to LOL!

cRuNcHiE
Oct 14, 2010, 10:27 AM
The option to enable or disable 3G seems to have disappeared from my iPad?

It just has enable or disable cellular data now

MacRumorUser
Oct 14, 2010, 10:59 AM
The option to enable or disable 3G seems to have disappeared from my iPad?

It just has enable or disable cellular data now

Thats all mine has had since day 1

yegon
Oct 14, 2010, 11:27 AM
Thats all mine has had since day 1

Beta 1 had 3G on/off, slightly bizarrely.

heavensblade23
Oct 14, 2010, 11:36 AM
Beta 1 had 3G on/off, slightly bizarrely.

You're not necessarily going to get 3G on an iPad, so cellular data makes sense.

Illuminated
Oct 14, 2010, 11:46 AM
i had an issues since the 2nd beta that when ever I opened up the iPod or videos it would say "canceling sync" in both...I don't know why. the iPad isn't even plugged in.:confused:

suresh31
Oct 14, 2010, 11:59 AM
You're not necessarily going to get 3G on an iPad, so cellular data makes sense.

I could see 3G ON/OFF in my iPad with Beta 3.

Zcott
Oct 14, 2010, 12:09 PM
I could see 3G ON/OFF in my iPad with Beta 3.

I'm pretty certain 3G On/Off is a carrier setting, not an iPad setting. I had it on a previous carrier, but not anymore.

suresh31
Oct 14, 2010, 01:53 PM
I'm pretty certain 3G On/Off is a carrier setting, not an iPad setting. I had it on a previous carrier, but not anymore.

Well, maybe, not sure. I use AT&T.

GreggM3
Oct 14, 2010, 02:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C5115c Safari/6533.18.5)

It's funny but Netflix works better for me on beta 3 but is now FUBAR on my IP4 on beta 3 which is the opposite of beta 2.

suresh31
Oct 14, 2010, 02:23 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C5115c Safari/6533.18.5)

It's funny but Netflix works better for me on beta 3 but is now FUBAR on my IP4 on beta 3 which is the opposite of beta 2.

I never got Netflix to work on any beta version :confused:

xraytech
Oct 14, 2010, 07:13 PM
Well that was fun...

Now restoring back to 3.2.2

melman101
Oct 14, 2010, 07:16 PM
Well that was fun...

Now restoring back to 3.2.2

Why you going back?

xraytech
Oct 14, 2010, 07:22 PM
Why you going back?

The OS is fine. Just a few more bug to work out and it's good to go.

As it stands right now not all my apps run smoothly and some just don't run at all under iOS 4.2b3

So I patiently wait for the final release.

bjet767
Oct 15, 2010, 09:44 AM
Chrono said this:

"First of all, this thread shouldn't exist."

What a bunch of hooeee!

This is what beta is all about. I have been involved with beta products for other OS systems and the more people who used them the more stable the finale product was.

Remember the reason Apple charges so much to be a "Beta" program is not just about development, it is also about $$$$. Apple makes these fine products to make billions of these $$$$ and if they can charge for people to test them, what a deal!

So people point out every bug and issue with the betas, big brother is watching!

lozpop
Oct 15, 2010, 09:54 AM
Installed this morning. Awesome. I didn't tried the first two betas, but this is phenomenal.

Now I'm definitely running 4.2 beta 3 until I will see a major bug The only bug I found until now is in the App Store. Preview screenshots don't scroll.

THiPad
Oct 15, 2010, 11:36 AM
Look at POST #21 in this thread. That worked for me running Beta 3.
Watched a movie last night on my iPad.

I never got Netflix to work on any beta version :confused:

THiPad
Oct 15, 2010, 11:37 AM
Last night I was able to shop through lots of apps, and look at the scrolling
screen shots.

First, I tapped the screen once, then scrolled sideways to see the rest of the shots.

Installed this morning. Awesome. I didn't tried the first two betas, but this is phenomenal.

Now I'm definitely running 4.2 beta 3 until I will see a major bug The only bug I found until now is in the App Store. Preview screenshots don't scroll.

railgunner
Oct 15, 2010, 01:58 PM
Look at POST #21 in this thread. That worked for me running Beta 3.
Watched a movie last night on my iPad.

...Confirmed, worked for me too.

Also, for the APP store scroll, double-tap first image and then swipe away.

matins
Oct 16, 2010, 02:45 PM
Only issue I found now: it's a bit slow in reconnecting to the wifi - and the signal is lower compared to the 3.2.

railgunner
Oct 18, 2010, 07:06 AM
Only issue I found now: it's a bit slow in reconnecting to the wifi - and the signal is lower compared to the 3.2.

....interesting, i've found it to be more stable connecting to wireless in Beta2 and 3. Before with 3.2.2, I had issues where it would not reconnect right away to the wireless network at my office when waking it up. I run WPA2 on a D-link at home and it works fine there everytime. At work, we run WPA2-Ent on Cisco's and I would constantly have to "forget network" and rekey for it to reconnect. It would see it, but it would not reconnect on wake up. Now its connecting by the time i enter my pass code. Every time. Between that, multitasking and folders I'm more than happy with the Beta3 code! :D

romulus19
Oct 29, 2010, 05:55 PM

I have the same problem with ibooks not syncing passwords. it keeps asking for my password and doesn't save it. I tried going to settings/store on my iPad to re-enter my credentials but that didn't make a difference.

StuartL
Oct 30, 2010, 02:30 AM
I haven't had a low battery alert when I've hit 20% remaining since I've been on beta 3 on my iPad. Not an issue as such, just an observation.

zhenya
Oct 30, 2010, 04:30 AM
I haven't had a low battery alert when I've hit 20% remaining since I've been on beta 3 on my iPad. Not an issue as such, just an observation.

I believe they changed the threshold to 10% or something.

petvas
Oct 30, 2010, 04:51 AM
Does anyone know if and when a beta 4 is coming?

mmomega
Oct 31, 2010, 12:38 AM

Mine seems to be dropping quite a bit quicker than in 3.x, updated instead of restore. (wifi3g model)