Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you pay $3000 given enough (feasible) specs on a Rev D MBA?

• Total voters

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Personally-speaking, Cnet's news of a possibly "significantly lower"-priced MBA is a little disappointing.

The reason is I want the MBA to be something exceptional in terms of design and power/size ratio, just as the current one was at its introduction. I want it to stand out, technologically and aesthetically. I am still almost certainly going to buy the MBA, regardless of specs.

But if they released the Rev D MBA, exclusively or an option, at $3000, what feasible specs would it have to have before you bought it, or would you not even buy it at all at that price?

I thought it'd be interesting getting MR's collective opinion on this as, if the rumors are true, it seems Jobs is moving further away from the super premium Next Computer days and into mass market affordability and penetrance.

I would personally certainly buy a $3000 MBA if it had, for example:
Top of the range LV/ULV Core i7 or Sandy Bridge (if available)
ATI graphics (i'd possibly even get it without discrete graphics)
Better cooling than Rev C MBA (this is important, however I'd probably settle for similar temps to current model)
256GB SSD or more
4-8GB RAM
IPS Screen
Better battery life
(to whatever degree)
Glass trackpad
Integrated 3g or LTE
USB 3.0
No heavier than current model
Stunning design
(I'd consider the current MBA to be stunning. This feature is a must, otherwise I'd definitely not buy)

Those would probably be the minimum specs, not exclusively, for me to fork out $3000 on an MBA. Of course I wouldn't say no to more/better specs :D

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
But its not going to have specs that merit $3k thats already been established.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
My two Rev Bs work great still. No need to upgrade until the OS makes me. I have lots of HD space still.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Even if it had the same specs as 12-core Mac Pro, I wouldn't buy it. Why? Because I have absolutely no need for such power and IMO spending 3000$ on a laptop is crazy. I only need it for web browsing, email, Word etc, thus I'm not ready to pay much more than 1000€ for it. Everything I want is SSD, 4GB of RAM and better battery. I'm fine with C2D or Intel IGP, they don't affect my usage.

That's just me of course, maybe some of you can fork out 3000$ for a laptop. I wish I could.

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Even if it had the same specs as 12-core Mac Pro, I wouldn't buy it. Why? Because I have absolutely no need for such power and IMO spending 3000$ on a laptop is crazy. I only need it for web browsing, email, Word etc, thus I'm not ready to pay much more than 1000€ for it. Everything I want is SSD, 4GB of RAM and better battery. I'm fine with C2D or Intel IGP, they don't affect my usage.

That's just me of course, maybe some of you can fork out 3000$ for a laptop. I wish I could.

I know where you're coming from, but I think I spent around $2400 on my MBP 15 i7. 3k isn't that much more.

For 3k, it would have to have enough power to be my main machine. That would mean a top of the line processor, at least 8 gigs of ram, and a 13 inch IPS display. It would also need a great GPU. I could compromise on HD space for the ability to carry my workstation around more easily.

I think it's going to go in the other direction, though - cheaper and marginally upgraded.

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
$3000? <bleep> that. it better come with a tube of vaseline from jobs bending you over. i wouldn't even pay for the currently one!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The people who vote yes and who are willing to spend $3k plus, and actually mean it, are the real intended market buyers for the MBA... and fortunately for us true faithful we're the opinions that matter to Apple if they plan to focus on a luxury 13.3" MBA... however, they might be changing their tune, but I wouldn't understand why as the iPad fills the "netbook" role amazingly well.

I want the high-end incredible MBA that dominates the competition in every way just as the v 2,1 MBA did in October of 2008. I don't care about the price, as long as it has all of the high-end features and caters to the faithful fans.

What is really important to me is innovation. I want Apple to really go back to innovation in the Mac. Meaning appear that it actually gave a damn about the Mac... instead of the continued disappointment over the last year with all resources seemingly dedicated to the iOS software and product lines. What originally excited people about Macs. I want something really unique and forward thinking... like an LCD trackpad that allows true touch but not on the big screen but on the trackpad... could display the desktop in the trackpad and provide touch interface.

Apple has used ideas like silky smooth trackpads, backlit keyboards, unibody frames, magsafe power adaptors, and etc that add real value for the Mac user over PCs... something that doesn't cost a lot of money but allows the user better interactions with their Mac. Money should be able to buy these things...

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
I want something really unique and forward thinking... like an LCD trackpad that allows true touch but not on the big screen but on the trackpad... could display the desktop in the trackpad and provide touch interface.

Now that would be very cool. Or an iPod touch built into a Macbook running full iOS! Although it wouldn't have features like an accelerometer or gyroscope.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Approximately £700 more than the 17" MBP I would want:
- 15.4" IPS Display @ 1920*1200 Widescreen
- i7 @ 2.66GHZ
- nVidia 330m 1GB
- 16GB DDR3 RAM
- 5hrs Battery Life
- 256 SSD
- Liquid Cooling
- 3 USB 3.0
- 1 MiniDisplayPort
- SD Card Slot
- 1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
- 1 Audio In/Out Port
- Free Superdrive
- Glass Trackpad

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
The people who vote yes and who are willing to spend $3k plus, and actually mean it, are the real intended market buyers for the MBA...

agreed!

I want the high-end incredible MBA that dominates the competition in every way just as the v 2,1 MBA did in October of 2008. I don't care about the price, as long as it has all of the high-end features and caters to the faithful fans.

What is really important to me is innovation... like an LCD trackpad that allows true touch but not on the big screen but on the trackpad... could display the desktop in the trackpad and provide touch interface.

I am still hanging in there... hoping...
and this week I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Otherwise, I will need to compromise... something I'm not used to having to do with Apple. Apple usually pioneer. Apple usually understand what we want and deliver it really well.

I don't want to have to return to the weight of the MBP...
I don't want to have a small, under powered, "almost a laptop"...
oh yes and having a "wow" factor whenever I use it - well that is a bonus too! I'm always happy to see others experience Apple-envy with my Apple products. ;)

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
Now that would be very cool. Or an iPod touch built into a Macbook running full iOS! Although it wouldn't have features like an accelerometer or gyroscope.

No, it wouldn't. Why would someone want to look down at a relatively small LCD display when they can look straight ahead at a larger, beautiful display that is in an ergonomically better position.

From what we are learning about a potential new Macbook Air, I believe that there is going to be one of these very obvious, but fundamental innovations that Apple does with their notebooks. Jobs is going to kill of the HDD.

The "story" of the new Macbook Air could be 'The Lightest, most responsive Notebook Ever.'

I really disagree that there is a significant number of people who would buy a $3000 Macbook Air who would not be totally satisfied with a $1500 Macbook Air. I contend that the people who really need all of the storage, memory, processor speed, and graphics power associated with a $3000 would object to the idea of the Air due to its lack of upgradability. On the other hand, I think there is a market for a lightweight notebook that has a desktop class operating system, with a fast processor, enough memory, and good graphics performance and this does not warrant $3000 worth of hardware.

The future of notebooks has been and always will be the Macbook Air, but we are not yet to the point where there are three sizes of Macbook and all based on the principle of the Air.

There is a diffence between things that add value to the use of a product and a gimmick. The unibody enclosure, backlit keyboards, built-in batteries, and glass trackpads add value to the experience. An LCD trackpad that has a display is a useless gimmick. Adding 3G on the other hand, is a value added feature.

Maybe I am not that creative, but if the best that someone who really loves the Macbook Air can come up with in terms of innovation is a trackpad is a display demonstrates to me that there isn't a whole lot of innovation left in a mature product line - speaking of notebooks in general.

I think we would all be better served if we look at the future of all Apple products in the following terms. They will become lighter, more responsive, have better displays and have better power management.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I would not buy one for $3000.

If I bought a MBA I would buy it as a machine that is decently fast, small, lightweight and has reasonable battery life.

For $3000 I would just buy a 13" MBP and an iMac.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
The most powerful CPU with 25 TDP
256GB SSD
GPU equivalent to GT 420M in performance
8GB RAM
Matte screen option
Able to run at 100% for at least 90 minutes
not exceed 3.25lb

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
A top of the line computer is about $1000 these days (baring the Apple premium). Lets add $500 for OS X/Aesthetics. $3000 is too much. $3000/2 is about what I'd expect to pay for a MBA with top of the line everything in it.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
As of this writing 32.5% said YES they would pay an obscene $3,000.

No wonder Stevie laughs all the way to the bank.

No wonder it's called "Apple Tax"

I will be the first to admit Jobs is the worlds greatest con man...oops, I meant salesman.

His ability to influence people is certainly impressive.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
A top of the line computer is about $1000 these days (baring the Apple premium). Lets add $500 for OS X/Aesthetics. $3000 is too much. $3000/2 is about what I'd expect to pay for a MBA with top of the line everything in it.

Look at the Vaio Z though. Sure $1000 is a premium standard computer, but ultraportables are still pretty darn expensive. The current MBA is more than that.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I paid about $6200 for my first laptop in 1995. I think it came with a 1.2G hard drive. (Fond memories of how 'technically advanced' a machine it was at the time...). :)

There is no way Apple would sell a new MBA at $3000. They don't have a history of competing in that price range (I wish I were wrong...)

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I paid about $6200 for my first laptop in 1995. I think it came with a 1.2G hard drive. (Fond memories of how 'technically advanced' a machine it was at the time...). :)

There is no way Apple would sell a new MBA at $3000. They don't have a history of competing in that price range (I wish I were wrong...)

Wow!
1) Prices have gone up 39% since then so that laptop would cost over $8000 today
2) 1.2GB was pretty big for a laptop

3) the 17" i7 with HR-AG and AppleCare is $2,898

Mr. Savage

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Toronto
As of this writing 32.5% said YES they would pay an obscene $3,000.

No wonder Stevie laughs all the way to the bank.

No wonder it's called "Apple Tax"

I will be the first to admit Jobs is the worlds greatest con man...oops, I meant salesman.

His ability to influence people is certainly impressive.

To suggest that people who are willing to pay more for a Mac is somehow indicative of naiveté or gullibility or being easily conned is beyond ironic when it comes from someone with "macuser" in their name.

Does one drive an Audi because they are enamoured with the CEO of Audi (whomever that might be)? Probably not.

A simple rule guides my purchasing habits: Which ever company builds the best stuff gets my money. Period.

I'm sure most would agree with me when I say that I am swayed by the products, not the person.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I spent about $3k on my MBP (before the price drops in early '09), but the only way I'd spend that much on a MBA is if outspec'd the pro.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

Actually, you're dead wrong. Apple has reduced the prices of Macs, but it still charges $3000 for Mac notebooks all the time. With BTO options, the MBPs can hit $3000.

When the original MBA was introduced with SSD, it was priced at $3099. If Apple introduces a 256 GB SSD, it will need to raise the prices from current to offset... if it has 8 GB RAM BTO option, that will add money, and it can easily get to $3k.

The ultraportable market has Vaio Zs at over $3k, and other ultraportables approaching that price tag too.

I don't think $3k is out of line, especially if we add in BTO options for the MBA again.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Apple likes to avoid maximum sticker shock, by hiding certain things as BTO extras, not available in stores.

So to envision pricing... a $3k luxe model, if both the 256 SSD and the 8 gig RAM in it are BTO, has a base price of maybe $1,999. and if they have no hard drive model, maybe there's just that one $1,999. 13" Air in the stores?

Then at a much lower price point, one or two 11.6" models? $999. and 1,199./1,299.?

That overall set of price points and model proximities, seems plausible to me....

..... even while this speculation about price points and model proximity / "cannibalisation" and the economics of scale, are IMHO the LEAST well-grounded areas in these discussions.

(If the economics of absolutely maximum production scale were as singularly important as we occasionally read here --- Ford would have just 2 products: one car and one truck! Jobs may have once simplified the lineup to 4 to save the company, but the economies of scale surely do not dictate that a company with 14 products, can't have 16.)

soph

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I wouldn't these days because I'm quite satisfied with the MBA I own and therefore don't actually need $3000-specs. Right now.
However, were I in the market... well, I still don't know. It would be quite tempting, sure, but still a big chunk of money. But certainly a better investment considering longterm usage than rev C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.