Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you pay $3000 given enough (feasible) specs on a Rev D MBA?

• Total voters

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
I don't care about the data, I already had it backed up and the hard drive was encrypted(because unlike the MBP13 and MBA, I had a Core i5 with hardware accelerated AES).

As for theft protection, I'm sure there is a high deductible that goes along with that $60.

jimwa1

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
Actually, you're dead wrong. Apple has reduced the prices of Macs, but it still charges $3000 for Mac notebooks all the time. With BTO options, the MBPs can hit $3000.

When the original MBA was introduced with SSD, it was priced at $3099. If Apple introduces a 256 GB SSD, it will need to raise the prices from current to offset... if it has 8 GB RAM BTO option, that will add money, and it can easily get to $3k.

The ultraportable market has Vaio Zs at over $3k, and other ultraportables approaching that price tag too.

I don't think $3k is out of line, especially if we add in BTO options for the MBA again.

To put things even more in prospective, the 13" Sony Vaio Z12 Signature Edition (with ALL the internal hardware options) is $4,700, and a 17" MBP with just three BTO options (8 GB, 512 SSD and Core i7)
is $4,200, The current Air with only 2 GB and 128 SSD is $1,800.

Since the question was "Would you spend $3,000 for a loaded Air" (which at the very least would have to have a 256 SSD and 4-8 GB of ram). this is hardly out of line. Apple is never going to offer a $3,000 computer for $999. If you want a loaded computer, it will be priced like a loaded computer. This has been true of Apple for the last 30 years, and will be true for the next 30 years.

I own a Vaio Z12 Signature Edition and the current 2.13/128 SSD Air, and YES, I would buy a Rev D Air with 8 GB ram and a 256 SSD card. And IF Apple does make a high zoot (probably BTO) Air, it will be priced appropiate for the level of it's hardware. The ONLY question is what level of hardware will Apple make available in a new maxed-out MBA. I hope they cover not just the low end, but the high end as well.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I don't care about the data, I already had it backed up and the hard drive was encrypted(because unlike the MBP13 and MBA, I had a Core i5 with hardware accelerated AES).

As for theft protection, I'm sure there is a high deductible that goes along with that $60.

Actually it's an extension of homeowner's protection that can be purchased independently, but it only covers up to $3,000

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Anyone that spends upwards of $5k on a laptop these days, knowing what we know about tech and Moore's law etc., has more money than brains IMO.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
Well since this is a wish list based in fantasy mine is as follows

Core i7 2.13GHz
512GB SSD
8GB Ram
Nvidia 420M 1GB
13.3" 1920X1200 LCD
Glass Trackpad with the button
3G + WiMax
10 Hour battery life
Audio IN/OUT
HD Webcam

2.4pounds

zodqyv

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
I would personally certainly buy a $3000 MBA if it had, for example:
Top of the range LV/ULV Core i7 or Sandy Bridge (if available)
ATI graphics (i'd possibly even get it without discrete graphics)
Better cooling than Rev C MBA (this is important, however I'd probably settle for similar temps to current model)
256GB SSD or more
4-8GB RAM
IPS Screen
Better battery life
(to whatever degree)
Glass trackpad
Integrated 3g
or LTE
USB 3.0

I would agree with your outline if you could cram all that into the 11.6" model. Otherwise, $3000 is radically overpriced.

Gruber

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
A computer is about a zillion times more useful to me than a car. And yet, would anyone call me crazy if I spend $2000 more than the minimum for a slightly faster, more comfortable and nicer looking car?

That said, I believe that there are few people that would pay that $2000 premium, because it would be difficult for the MBA to differentiate itself sufficiently from the competition, short of Ostrich leather and Swarovsky crystals (which only appeal to a very small clientele).

If Apple would offer an MBA with a Retina style display and otherwise decent specs (i7, 8GB, Sandy Bridge, 3G, min 256GB SSD), I would happily spend $3000. But Apple can not do this, because MacOS can not drive high resolutions (so: no 300dpi display), and the exclusive relationship with Intel does not exist any more (so: no Sandy Bridge this year).

Thus, the MBA will probably have similar specs as the Acer Timeline, which sells at about $800. Add $250 to upgrade the SSD, and $300 to make Apple's stockholders happy, and we are at $1300 (give or take $100), which constitute a roughly fair price point in my view. An Apple tax of $300-$400 is ok in my eyes, because it spares me virus scanners and gives me a decent, sturdy design (hopefully a boxy one).

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I see. "Apple tax" is money that fans who only have more money than sense because they have no sense publicly declare they would pay for hypothetical products that Apple isn't going to build. "Microsoft tax" on the other hand is what real people with no intent of owning Microsoft products were forced to pay because Microsoft blackmailed all the PC makers into contracts where you had to pay for Windows on a computer even if you didn't want it.

Since the courts decided that the Microsoft tax is illegal, Microsoft had to invent the "Apple tax".

What absolute rubbish that post was. No intent of owning a microsoft product? Tell that to the netbook makers who sold linux and windows versions only to find out that very few people were happy with the linux ones. Lots of people i know are happy with windows and wouldn't look twice at owning a mac

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Anyone that spends upwards of $5k on a laptop these days, knowing what we know about tech and Moore's law etc., has more money than brains IMO.

But many of these people aren't spending their own money, they're spending their company's money. I don't have to buy my own computer, as I always have someone else footing the bill... it changes perspectives, and businesses have been paying more for years. Add in the reduced cost in IT for elimination of viruses and etc, and that much money is a blessing and great investment.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
But many of these people aren't spending their own money, they're spending their company's money. I don't have to buy my own computer, as I always have someone else footing the bill... it changes perspectives, and businesses have been paying more for years. Add in the reduced cost in IT for elimination of viruses and etc, and that much money is a blessing and great investment.

In that case, spend away...I would too. I personally can't justify much more than about $3200 out the door with tax for a personal purchase, but if the business is footing it, well hell...

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
The money issue isn't really a factor in my opinion. I would PREFER Apple sell much more pricey MBAs. The market is there and people are willing to pay $5k for an incredible MBA. I don't care what the price is...
I don't care that the Vaio Z costs $5k, to me that's an advantage not disadvantage from the MBA and MBP.

But many of these people aren't spending their own money, they're spending their company's money. I don't have to buy my own computer, as I always have someone else footing the bill...

So all these years of bragging how you're willing to pay thousands of dollars extra to get the MBA you want and it turns out you don't actually pay for you computer? Wow. . . just wow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.