Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I have watched a number of videos on YouTube reviewing the Portenzo case which seems to be superior to the Dodocase. I currently have the Dodocase and am very interested in reading any Macrumor member reviews if there are any out there. I know there are a few members who are waiting for theirs to be delivered.
I guess I am just wondering if I should give up on the dodocase and get a portenzo. I was also considering the bookbook case by twelve south, but that doesn't seem to be getting as good as reviews.

Thanks for your input.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I went ahead and ordered the portenzo case. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the dodocase. From the reviews I have read so far, I am expecting a superior product which is always good.

AngelusV

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
Please let me know how that goes. I just received my Dodocase yesterday, and opening the box was full of anticipation. I made the decision purely on my own desires, since I have seen GREAT reviews, and HORRIBLE reviews as well.

Opening the case for the first time was magic, and the smell was just amazing. Then I inspected it, and things just went from cloud9 to sewer tunnels. I noticed I had to press the Bamboo back down against the binding. I had side stickers that were turned sideways. The wood honestly felt so thin, It was as if I went to lowes, bought some wood to separate plants in my garden, and decided to make a case with it. In all honesty, the only reason I actually decided to give it a try, was because I loved the dodocase sticker on the front. I'm from the bay area, so seeing "made in San Fransisco" holds a bit of pride. So far it's been a lot of trial and error though. Trying to fit the iPad into it so every side is flush is impossible. There's always going to be a side that's a little higher then the other. I had to take a light sandpaper, and smoothen out my super sharp edges a bit as well. I mean they were so sharp, I was afraid I'd cut myself. There were no cracks in the wood, so I didn't bother looking to return it. I've heard it can take awhile, and the case does its job I suppose.

So please let me know how you enjoy that case, because I'll "upgrade" if I have to. I just absolutely love the moleskin design, but I want a little more peace of mind.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Much as I loved the concept, I was never convinced by the Dodocase. But I've ordered a Portenzo. The former remains a prototype; the latter appears to be the finished article.

Two thumbs up for Darin at Portenzo, too. The customer service is exemplary; very responsive when I mailed a couple of queries to them

I'm really looking forward to receiving the case.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I have also received excellent customer service through Portenzo. Darin was very helpful and quickly responded to my emails. Now the anticipation starts with waiting for delivery.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I would be interested to know if it's thicker or about the same as the Dodocase. Kind of hard to tell just from photos. Thanks!

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Just wanted to help those members out who are contemplating getting a portenzo.
I received a coupon code that takes $6 off the price of the iPad case. Use the coupon code: facebook09 and apply it at checkout.

Hope that helps.

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Put an order in for the Portenzo. I had the DodoCase for a little while, but eventually the rubber pads started to wear out and allowed the iPad to slip out easily. Dodo does send out replacement pads if you need it, but I didn't want to mess with it.

With the Portenzo iPad case, it seems better designed with more of a ridge/rubber pad to hold the iPad in. I did order the case that allows for a stylus to be held in the binder. That's kinda cool.

Will update this thread once I receive it.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Got my Portenzo today, and I've got to say I'm impressed. Very well manufactured from high quality materials. And have no fear about the corner grips. They've nailed that. Your iPad ain't going nowhere once it's seated in that bay. Full marks all round. The Dodo just got made extinct again.

r91x08.jpg

For versatility, I still think the Yoobao V3/"Magic" case leads the field. But aesthetically, this one's the best we've seen so far.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Thanks for the quick review. I should be receiving mine on Wednesday. I can't wait.

PacMookBro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007
I had horrible experience with DODOcase. iPad simply falls out... I don't need a case anymore but Portenzo looks great! Does the iPad fall off easily like DODOcase?

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
the portenza one looks really nice! i like how it has the elastic band to keep it closed and the optional stylus slot.
I recall seeing one the other week that had suede holder and city maps inner covers. I forget who made it. anyone have experience with that one?

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Very appreciative of the reviews.

Looking to order a case from them come Nov 1st, love the retro cover :)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
the portenza one looks really nice! i like how it has the elastic band to keep it closed and the optional stylus slot.
I recall seeing one the other week that had suede holder and city maps inner covers. I forget who made it. anyone have experience with that one?

The case you're referring to is from Treegloo but I haven't seen much in the way of reviews/experiences, other than someone in these forums complaining the the paper used for the liner was stiff/brittle and ripped on theirs.

I have a Dodocase and while I'm very happy with it (improved corner pads installed--keeps iPad very secure), if I ever need to replace it, I'll probably give the Portenzo a try.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I like the style of these a lot, but just wish they would come up with a strap or something to keep it stable in a horizontal video mode.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
Yup, that was it. Thanks!

The case you're referring to is from Treegloo but I haven't seen much in the way of reviews/experiences, other than someone in these forums complaining the the paper used for the liner was stiff/brittle and ripped on theirs.

I have a Dodocase and while I'm very happy with it (improved corner pads installed--keeps iPad very secure), if I ever need to replace it, I'll probably give the Portenzo a try.

mechanopony

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010

I'm waiting on my case from Treegloo, but before I ordered, I them asked about the liner issue...

Turns out that guy bought his from used from eBay (and it was a prototype) but they replaced it anyway, which is pretty cool. They said the paper is reinforced with cloth and if I wanted a cloth liner I just had to ask. They're working on getting that option up on their website.

I liked the maps too, so I got the London one. Tracking info says it will be here tomorrow! :D

Since there aren't really reviews around, I'll try to put one together. ;)

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
Great review. Glad I just ordered the portenzo. You said the typing angle is even better? Also, is it as beautiful as the dodo? Their website doesn't have as great of pictures.

Sterne

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
The Portenzo is definitely nicer looking inside - the two look equally sharp closed, in my view - until you get into the exotics, where Portenzo is doing some cool stuff. The black Alano and the ostrich-embossed leather are both amazing to behold.

You will be happy with the Portenzo.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Sterne,

Do you really feel like the iPad is flush against the bamboo case? In looking at mine, I would say the iPad definitely sits up above the bamboo slightly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.