PDA

View Full Version : Hi Power Wireless G hub?

maclamb
Jan 3, 2005, 11:46 PM
My two story house has some pretty bad dead zones.
I am using an SMC wireless router - the one with two antenna.
I am looking for a significantly more powerful gateway router.
Any suggestions?
(actually the point is to eliminate the dead spots, so suggestions for this are welcome too).

thanks

fuzzai
Jan 5, 2005, 11:36 AM
where are your dead zones in the house?
like what is around the area where the signal that is dead?

emw
Jan 5, 2005, 12:12 PM
You could get a linksys WRT54G and then install 3rd party firmware to increase the power output. I'll try and track down the link for the firmware. I've installed it, and it definitely helps. I can get a signal pretty much anywhere in my 2-story abode, and the router is in the basement (so I guess it's 3 stories, really).

You could also buy a repeater or two to expand the range throughout the house.

Capt Underpants
Jan 5, 2005, 04:57 PM
Instead of buying a different hub, why not just buy a higher grade antennae for the hub you already have?

maclamb
Jan 5, 2005, 08:13 PM
My house is a two story house - wireless hub is downstairs.
I receive very good reception directly above.
But - above and 20 - 40 feet across are the dead spots.
I have heard that repeaters cut the performance in half, so that didn't seem like a great option.

I'm interested in the linksys option and the better antenna - suggestions?

maclamb
Jan 5, 2005, 08:15 PM
took a look at the linksys - seems to be about the same as my SMC 2804WBR
b/g, DHCP, gateway, 4 ports, etc...
the firmware upgrade sounds interesting...

hcuar
Jan 5, 2005, 08:22 PM
My two story house has some pretty bad dead zones.
I am using an SMC wireless router - the one with two antenna.
I am looking for a significantly more powerful gateway router.
Any suggestions?
(actually the point is to eliminate the dead spots, so suggestions for this are welcome too).

thanks

I'm using a netgear 802.11g router... I have no signal problems. The router is on the main floor. The PB works great in the basement, main floor, and second floor.

Capt Underpants
Jan 5, 2005, 08:29 PM
You'll get more range out of something like this (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50597583&pfp=SEARCH) than you ever will out of a stock linksys router antenna. It's 9 dBi, which should be plenty. Look up your current router and see how many dBi your current antenna is.

edit: I looked up your hub, and it's 2 dBi :eek:

Mertzen
Jan 5, 2005, 09:22 PM
This place has multiple solutions to boost the range of your network .. http://www.macwireless.com/

powerboy
Jan 5, 2005, 09:50 PM
I just bought the Belkin Pre N router and it is giving me better range than I was getting with my D-Link DI-624. Buy.com had the best price.

maclamb
Jan 6, 2005, 12:48 AM
I'll look into a booster. Thanks Capt!.

oddly enough, it's only the PB 12 1.33 that has problems - my IBM thinkpad t40 w/ Intel wireless mini-pci card works fine!