PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 9000 in a AGP Sawtooth?

raysfan81
Oct 18, 2010, 02:45 PM
So I got my 9800 pro installed in my MDD and now I think it would be great to put the radeon 9000 in my old powermac as it would be much better than the Rage 128. I just don't know if it will work because it has that unusual front connector that I assume is for the ADP.

sysiphus
Oct 18, 2010, 03:56 PM
The Radeon 9000's extra pins are for powering the ADC connector. If you have one of the original Sawtooths (350-500MHz single G4), the ADC port will not work. However, the other video out should work. The card is AGP 2X/4X compliant, so it should function just fine, minus the (unpowered) ADC port. So, as long as you don't want to hook up an older-style Apple Cinema/Studio display (without adapters), you'll be fine.

Enjoy the Radeon 9800! I've got one coming for my main machine (single G5) too!

raysfan81
Oct 18, 2010, 04:21 PM
The Radeon 9000's extra pins are for powering the ADC connector. If you have one of the original Sawtooths (350-500MHz single G4), the ADC port will not work. However, the other video out should work. The card is AGP 2X/4X compliant, so it should function just fine, minus the (unpowered) ADC port. So, as long as you don't want to hook up an older-style Apple Cinema/Studio display (without adapters), you'll be fine.

Enjoy the Radeon 9800! I've got one coming for my main machine (single G5) too!

I just plugged in the 9000 and all of the things are purple on the screen. :mad: Maybe it is because the screw wouldn't fit back once I put the new card in...

But so far I really love the 9800!

sysiphus
Oct 18, 2010, 04:50 PM
I just plugged in the 9000 and all of the things are purple on the screen. :mad: Maybe it is because the screw wouldn't fit back once I put the new card in...

But so far I really love the 9800!

If the retainer screw for the card doesn't fit in, that means that you've either not put the card in all the way/straight, or there's a physical incompatability (which I didn't know about). Try re-seating the card; it should fit flush if it works.