PDA

View Full Version : what the hell man?...


krossfyter
Aug 27, 2002, 01:12 PM
this makes me mad. its a little thing but hell man.


check this out...

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1017-8-7785727-1.html?tag=st.co.1018-8-20331919-1.more


under the first part...."processor" they talk about the imac.
im under the impression that they just gave some misinformation about the imac.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 27, 2002, 01:17 PM
they talk about the iMac desktop as a G3 and say you should get a G4 - its obviously a little out of date, pre G4 LCD iMac.

the good thing is under the list of manufacturers, Apple comes first.....:D

vniow
Aug 27, 2002, 01:22 PM
Yearning for an iMac desktop? Keep in mind that the PowerPC G3 performs like a Celeron or a Duron but costs the same as a Pentium 4; stick with a Power PC G4-based system.

Yeah, it'a little out of date, but they should at least update it G3=Celeron.:rolleyes:

krossfyter
Aug 27, 2002, 01:23 PM
they should be a little clear about that. from that one can think the imacs are all g3...if you dont read it well.

also... are they right when they say that the g3 processor performs like a celeron or duron?? i dont think so.:)

krossfyter
Aug 27, 2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

the good thing is under the list of manufacturers, Apple comes first.....:D


wheres that at?

Mr. Anderson
Aug 27, 2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
wheres that at?

under Manufacturers on the left, but note that lack of G3 or G4 in the Processor list......:mad:

icetraxxg5
Aug 27, 2002, 02:01 PM
Apple is highest in the list because it starts with an "A"....

krossfyter
Aug 27, 2002, 03:33 PM
oh okAY! heh


este vato:D

Mr. Anderson
Aug 27, 2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by icetraxxg5
Apple is highest in the list because it starts with an "A"....

i realized that, all i said was that it was interesting since they really didn't mention much about apple to begin with. Hopefully not too many people read this thing.

Where/why'd you find this thing krosfyter?

bobindashadows
Aug 27, 2002, 04:08 PM
it also says that OS X requires 256 Megs of Ram, last i checked Jaguar only needed 128

G5orbust
Aug 28, 2002, 11:22 PM
its doesnt even require 128. My friend ran OSx quite proficiently on 64 Mb of Ram until i installed two 256 Meg DIMMs for him. Actually it ran hella fast. I was on it and i was talking to some MR people via AIM and they could tell how fast it was running and were supprised when i said it had only 64 mb of RAM.

krossfyter
Aug 28, 2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet



Where/why'd you find this thing krosfyter?



ahh i was just surfing the cnet site man... just checking it out.

bobindashadows
Aug 29, 2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by G5orbust
its doesnt even require 128. My friend ran OSx quite proficiently on 64 Mb of Ram until i installed two 256 Meg DIMMs for him. Actually it ran hella fast. I was on it and i was talking to some MR people via AIM and they could tell how fast it was running and were supprised when i said it had only 64 mb of RAM.

Well my iMac DV 400 (? maybe 350) didn't fare as well, it ran deathly slow on os x, then i couldn't even get the jaguar installer to load until I installed another 64 Meg DIMM. And while it got the installation done, it proceeded to fry my motherboard. 400 bucks. I just need it for a low-traffic server...

jefhatfield
Aug 30, 2002, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by krossfyter
this makes me mad. its a little thing but hell man.


check this out...

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1017-8-7785727-1.html?tag=st.co.1018-8-20331919-1.more


under the first part...."processor" they talk about the imac.
im under the impression that they just gave some misinformation about the imac.

g3 has 512k level two cache in ibook and 256 level two cache in crt imac...they kick the heck out of durons and celerons at same or slightly higher clock speeds

the original ibook was targeted against pentium II laptops which it beat and the currnet ibook could keep pace with some mobile pentium IIIs

right now the toshiba 2.2 ghz p4 laptop is probably the fastest in the world, but give me a 667 tibook over the toshiba any day

cb911
Aug 30, 2002, 07:31 AM
he he, looks like they got a bit confused.:rolleyes:

G5orbust
Aug 30, 2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield


g3 has 512k level two cache in ibook and 256 level two cache in crt imac...they kick the heck out of durons and celerons at same or slightly higher clock speeds

the original ibook was targeted against pentium II laptops which it beat and the currnet ibook could keep pace with some mobile pentium IIIs

right now the toshiba 2.2 ghz p4 laptop is probably the fastest in the world, but give me a 667 tibook over the toshiba any day


what about the alienware moblile Area 51 w/ a 2.4 ghz p4?

jefhatfield
Aug 30, 2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by G5orbust



what about the alienware moblile Area 51 w/ a 2.4 ghz p4?

a laptop with a 2.4 already? that's fast but i bet the battery time cannot be that good unless it's lithium polymer and a large battery

the toshiba only got 2.5 hours on a charge but at least the laptop did not get hot

the smaller micron fabrication on p4 allows for fast speeds and much lower heat

my old 1998 pc laptop (i got in '99) runs a 366 mhz amd k6-2 and that thing is super hot and if that laptop had a titanium exterior, someone would get seared and sue the company ;)

i think the laptop was a .23 or .25 micron process...something way outdated though

bousozoku
Aug 30, 2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by G5orbust
its doesnt even require 128. My friend ran OSx quite proficiently on 64 Mb of Ram until i installed two 256 Meg DIMMs for him. Actually it ran hella fast. I was on it and i was talking to some MR people via AIM and they could tell how fast it was running and were supprised when i said it had only 64 mb of RAM.

It depends a lot on the speed of the hard drive in the machine. If it's slow, forget it because even 384 MB isn't enough.

G5orbust
Aug 31, 2002, 11:21 AM
The specs of his machine:

350 G3 iMac slot loading CD-ROM (rev ?)
RAM: Then- 64MB, Now-512MB
Video Card: Rage 128 Pro w/ 8MB of VRAM
No onboard Firewire (yeah, he be cheap)
Running OSX 10.1.0, soon to be 10.2.0
Hard Drive: 40 GB (replacement) ATA/133 slowed down to match the iMac's ATA bus speed of I think UATA/66 or UATA/33