Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liquidocelot201

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
About a year ago I used Boot Camp to give Windows a try. I liked it a lot, and the Mac side of my partition isn't doing so well (running out of disk space, among other things). So I've decided to get rid of my Mac partition entirely and just stick with Windows. Any way to do that? Thanks.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sure, just boot from your OS X install disc and run Disk Utility go to the partition tab and delete the OS X partition. What you will have more trouble doing is expanding your windows partition to use the newly free space...

B

liquidocelot201

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks a lot. 2 questions, though.

1) How do I expand my windows partition to use the free space?

2) This one may be kind of stupid, but will erasing the Mac OS X partition affect my Windows partition in any way?

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I think u have to go to Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage in Control Panel and do an Extend volume on the partition. Format the OSX partition to NTFS first and then try it. Let us know what happens.

You can add more space to existing primary partitions and logical drives by extending them into adjacent unallocated space on the same disk. To extend a basic volume, it must be raw or formatted with the NTFS file system. You can extend a logical drive within contiguous free space in the extended partition that contains it. If you extend a logical drive beyond the free space available in the extended partition, the extended partition grows to contain the logical drive.

liquidocelot201

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
OK, I notice the format for the Mac partition is Extended (Journaled) What does that mean, and how will I be able to format it to NTFS (if I'm able to do that)?

liquidocelot201

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
All right, I'm doing it in Windows now and I'm not exactly sure where the Mac partition disk is (there's C drive, my CD drives, and 2 blank drives which have a blank file system). I'm guessing the OS X partition is either one or both of the blank drives, but I'm not sure.

P.S. Also, I'm unable to format both of them but I can delete one of them. Should I do that?

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
post a snapshot of what u have. The Mac one should say HFS on it.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 80

liquidocelot201

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
That's actually pretty close to what I have. This is what I've got. It doesn't say HFS anywhere, though.

Attachments

• Computer Management.jpg
    Computer Management.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 102

liquidocelot201

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
All right, I erased the 159GB partition, and now I've got 160 gigs of unallocated data. You mentioned something about doing an Extend volume. I can't seem to do that, it will let me shrink but won't let me extend.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
All right, I erased the 159GB partition, and now I've got 160 gigs of unallocated data. You mentioned something about doing an Extend volume. I can't seem to do that, it will let me shrink but won't let me extend.

That's because you are currently booted to the partition you want to extend. You can't do that (easily that is). That's why I said it's more trouble. ;)

What you can do is: Back everything up using the backup tool and location of your liking (including the native W7 tools) and then create a new partition using the space you want (using the W7 install disc) and then restore from your backup.

B

liquidocelot201

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
That's because you are currently booted to the partition you want to extend. You can't do that (easily that is). That's why I said it's more trouble. ;)

What you can do is: Back everything up using the backup tool and location of your liking (including the native W7 tools) and then create a new partition using the space you want (using the W7 install disc) and then restore from your backup.

B

Can I do any of this with Vista? That's what I'm using and I still have the install disc for that.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Sure boss, I think Vista has a built in back utility. After you're done backing up, boot up from your Vista disc and just create one large NTFS partition and install your OS again.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Sure boss, I think Vista has a built in back utility. After you're done backing up, boot up from your Vista disc and just create one large NTFS partition and install your OS again.

And restore your backup.

Would potentially be easier using Winclone, but since it's retired I'm not recommending it anymore (and you don't have OS X anymore...)

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.