PDA

View Full Version : VLC Gains iPhone, iPod Touch Compatibility

MacRumors
Oct 25, 2010, 09:12 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/10/25/vlc-gains-iphone-ipod-touch-compatibility/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/10/25/101131-vlc_iphone.jpg

Applidium today announced (http://applidium.com/en/news/vlc_iphone_hits_the_appstore) that its VLC Media Player (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/vlc-media-player) application has gone universal, adding compatibility for the iPhone and iPod touch to the iPad version released last month (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/20/vlc-for-ipad-rolling-out-to-app-stores-around-the-world-iphone-version-under-development/).This new version brings in the following major improvements:

- It works on the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, as well as 3rd and 4th generation iPods.
- Decoding is quite a lot faster than in the previous version
- You can now open attachments from other applications, as well as RTSP and MMS streams.VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) is a popular open source media player for the Mac and other platforms, offering compatibility with a wide array of video formats. The VideoLAN team behind VLC offered its blessing to Applidium in that group's efforts to bring the application to iOS devices.

Article Link: VLC Gains iPhone, iPod Touch Compatibility (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/10/25/vlc-gains-iphone-ipod-touch-compatibility/)

Carlanga
Oct 25, 2010, 09:26 AM
Awesome!!! :D Been waiting for the official version to finally come to the iPhone!

Kepesk
Oct 25, 2010, 09:31 AM
Now if I can figure out how to point this thing to my Mythbox, I'm all set!

kjs862
Oct 25, 2010, 09:54 AM
If you have to upload files into VLC via iTunes what is the point? Why wouldn't you just play with the iPod application instead?

Ashyukun
Oct 25, 2010, 10:02 AM
If you have to upload files into VLC via iTunes what is the point? Why wouldn't you just play with the iPod application instead?
Because VLC will (ostensibly) play a lot larger selection of formats than the iPod application will. You don't have to import the files into iTunes- you just use the file transfer capability (Apps tab, scroll down to the bottom and the apps that make use of the file transfer protocols are listed in a box at the bottom) to get the files onto the device.

douglaswilliams
Oct 25, 2010, 10:05 AM
It's working great on my iPhone 4 with .avi files.

Now I just need a good armband so I can work out with P90X playing on my arm! I don't have to be in front of the TV anymore!

kjs862
Oct 25, 2010, 10:08 AM
Because VLC will (ostensibly) play a lot larger selection of formats than the iPod application will. You don't have to import the files into iTunes- you just use the file transfer capability (Apps tab, scroll down to the bottom and the apps that make use of the file transfer protocols are listed in a box at the bottom) to get the files onto the device.

I see now, thank you.

However, it would still be nice to be able to play videos over the internet. Was thinking of just copying the URL into VLC and bam, there you go.

wilheldp
Oct 25, 2010, 10:15 AM
I wonder if this will work with AirPlay to the new Apple TV once that goes live? I would just be happy if VLC player on Snow Leopard/Lion would work with AirPlay. I have a lot of movies that are in formats incompatible with Quicktime.

Ashyukun
Oct 25, 2010, 10:34 AM
I see now, thank you.

However, it would still be nice to be able to play videos over the internet. Was thinking of just copying the URL into VLC and bam, there you go.
Oh, that would certainly be welcome. It's kind of annoying to not be able to test it out until I get home and can connect it to my laptop there vs. being able to download files from the internet (upload them to MobileMe and then down to the iPhone, for example.

I'm definitely curious to see how it works with certain things... unfortunately from what I've heard it doesn't work well/at all with subtitled MKVs, so it likely won't be all that useful for me compared to AirVideo...

catracho
Oct 25, 2010, 10:37 AM
No Love for iPhone 3G :(

zv470
Oct 25, 2010, 10:44 AM
<oops> I figured out my audio problem. Works great! :)

boshii
Oct 25, 2010, 11:21 AM
So this only produces sound through an external source or am I missing something? If that's the case then it's kinda stupid :(

Carlanga
Oct 25, 2010, 12:07 PM

not powerful enough to handle many of the formats... They probably don't want people to give them bad reviews because of things like lag when the problem comes not from the app but from the weaker hardware. You can still download the fake one from cydia if you want (is called vlc4iphone)...

douglaswilliams
Oct 25, 2010, 12:09 PM
It was great that a little while back the iPhone Netflix app added support for the video out cable. Is there any word on weather or not VLC works with video out?

motulist
Oct 25, 2010, 12:15 PM
I'm using a BRAND NEW ipod touch that I got less than 2 months ago, and vlc says it's not compatible with my device! WTH?! It's one of the 8 GB ipod touches that Apple offers as a september laptop special, but still, that's no excuse! This is a brand spankin new device, and this SHOULD work. Either Apple is being a real S.O.B. and only giving away gimped devices without being up front about it, or VLC is excluding these device for no great reason. Either way, I'm pissed.

stridemat
Oct 25, 2010, 12:22 PM
Im actually surprised how well this works. I wasn't sure if the quality was going to be acceptable, but I have been proven wrong. This is going to make those long train journeys more bearable (just have to hope the battery lasts).

CrEOF
Oct 25, 2010, 12:42 PM
I'm using a BRAND NEW ipod touch that I got less than 2 months ago, and vlc says it's not compatible with my device! WTH?! It's one of the 8 GB ipod touches that Apple offers as a september laptop special, but still, that's no excuse! This is a brand spankin new device, and this SHOULD work. Either Apple is being a real S.O.B. and only giving away gimped devices without being up front about it, or VLC is excluding these device for no great reason. Either way, I'm pissed.

If it was the same EDU deal I got a Touch from earlier this year then it was the old model Touch. This was before the iPhone 4 and new Touch came out - so now those gimme Touch's are 2 generations behind, putting them in the same boat as the 3G. Sorry for the bad news :(

Trailing thought...
I imagine they ran that promotion to get rid of what they knew would soon be obsolete inventory. I bought my MBP almost a month before they announced that promotion but decided to try and get myself grandfathered in. The Apple CSR was more than happy to send me one. Granted this was my first system purchase from Apple, but I was more than a little surprised by their willingness to include my purchase (not that I'm complaining my any means :) )

mdwsta4
Oct 25, 2010, 12:47 PM
downloaded. can't wait to try it out when I get home this evening as all my shows and most movies are in avi format.
If airplay can work this to stream content to ATV, that might push me over the edge to buy one.
And if I understand it correctly, you put/store avi content on your iphone/ipad, right? you're not simply streaming it from your computer.

stridemat
Oct 25, 2010, 12:54 PM
And if I understand it correctly, you put/store avi content on your iphone/ipad, right? you're not simply streaming it from your computer.

Correct. It's stored on the idevice.

Corbin052198
Oct 25, 2010, 01:07 PM
No 1st Gen Support????????????

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

lseven
Oct 25, 2010, 01:36 PM
Great, now if I could only get a working iPad version.

Eddyisgreat
Oct 25, 2010, 02:24 PM
It's one of the 8 GB ipod touches that Apple offers as a september laptop special, but still, that's no excuse! This is a brand spankin new device, and this SHOULD work. Either Apple is being a real S.O.B. and only giving away gimped devices without being up front about it, or VLC is excluding these device for no great reason. Either way, I'm pissed.

rawr :rolleyes:

blizaine
Oct 25, 2010, 03:43 PM
I wonder if this will work with AirPlay to the new Apple TV once that goes live? I would just be happy if VLC player on Snow Leopard/Lion would work with AirPlay. I have a lot of movies that are in formats incompatible with Quicktime.

It probably wont work with AirPlay, because airplay just re-directs the A/V streams from the iPhone/iPad to the ATV. The ATV can't decode/playback avi's and all the formats that VLC can play. But something that should work with AirPlay is the AirVideo app. It also, let's you play any video format, but it streams it to your ipad/iphone. It has a little server app that you load on your mac/windows and it does a live conversion of any media you have and streams it to your iDevice. It works really really well and the quality is amazing.

OddHead
Oct 25, 2010, 03:53 PM
Why all the videos in the sshot have a maximum of 480 or 320 lines, like non-retina displays?

Does this release actually take advantages from the 960x640 resolution, or it just decodes in 480x320 for 3GS and 3rd gen. Touch and upscales on iPhone 4 and 4th gen Touch?
I mean, on Retina displays it should go on a "full screen mode" anyway, since divx videos have a maximum width of 720 pixels (on 960 horizontals), but on "old" displays it is going to scale down, i suppose.

I'm going to buy a 4th generation iPod Touch and i'd like to know, because i'm planning to use this on it... maybe it's just a stupid question, but iPads have just one resolution now (1024x768), other iOS devices actually two.

:)

jason221
Oct 25, 2010, 04:44 PM
The video I put on the app (624x352 px, 16:9 ratio) seems to be uneven—the black bar above the picture is bigger than the black bar below the picture. Also, I can't double tap to fit the picture to screen. Lame.

fpnc
Oct 25, 2010, 05:47 PM
Doesn't seem to be working very well on my iPad. Anything that I tried over standard definition (even 854x480) just skips and jumps and H.264 at 720p just doesn't play at all. It does play standard definition H.264 but after about three minutes it just locks up and you have to exit the app. Thereafter the app won't launch, it just hangs on startup (a restart of the iPad or the running of a different video playback app seems to correct the launch problem). From the reports I've read it seems to work best with low resolution avi files and maybe some forms of wmv, anything else not so good.

I applaud the effort that went into creating the VLC app for iOS, but at least in my hands it's not really ready for use (it is, however, a valid proof of concept).

skorpien
Oct 25, 2010, 06:05 PM
This App is fantastic! Mind you, my requirements of it are not nearly as taxing as other users that have posted here, but I was able to open a .wmv attachment from my email App! I am no longer limited to only being able to view quicktime movie attachments :)

kalafalas
Oct 25, 2010, 08:17 PM
VLC is everything the iPod app is not. It plays avi, and pretty much anything. That's great right? But there's one catch: in the nature of these codecs, there all software encoded rather than hardware. So most people say: great. I don't know what that means, how will that effect me? What it means is extremely poor performance on anything of decent quality (expeshily on older devises, even the 3GS) and don't even think about HD. it means horrible battery life - know how you can get in like 3 movies in with the iPod app before even hitting 20%? I doubt you'll get through a TV show with this. And many many other problems. Apple puts there limitations in place for there devices for a reason.

The way to go is handbreak: it's free, flexible, and open source. It's one extra step, but it's worth it. Google it, you'll be impressed. All the formats you could want, and then ready in a MP4 your iPhone can play at perfect 30fps even at 720p all day long on one charge. Trust me - it's a much better choice.

kalafalas
Oct 25, 2010, 08:23 PM
I see now, thank you.

I suggest to you the app Air Video (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-video-watch-your-videos/id306550020?mt=8), it streams any video from your computer to your iDevice on Wi-Fi or 3G (Older version included) and with either do native play with hardware decoding (UNLIKE vlc) on supported files (mp4, usually) with no conversion as if you synced it to the iPod app. And if its not MP4 format, itll do conversion locally on-the-fly on your computer so when it sends it to the device, you still get hardware decoded goodness. and if your on 3G itll automatically adjust the quality as it plays depending on the connection for a seamless playback experience. and no to mention it fully supports up to 720p and iPad :P

and you can try it for free (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-video-free-watch-your/id313056918?mt=8) (the difference is in the file browser you can only see the top three files from each folder on your computer, but its perfect for testing) and well worth the full version for 2.99

Beric
Oct 26, 2010, 01:12 AM
Doesn't seem to be working very well on my iPad. Anything that I tried over standard definition (even 854x480) just skips and jumps and H.264 at 720p just doesn't play at all. It does play standard definition H.264 but after about three minutes it just locks up and you have to exit the app. Thereafter the app won't launch, it just hangs on startup (a restart of the iPad or the running of a different video playback app seems to correct the launch problem). From the reports I've read it seems to work best with low resolution avi files and maybe some forms of wmv, anything else not so good.

I applaud the effort that went into creating the VLC app for iOS, but at least in my hands it's not really ready for use (it is, however, a valid proof of concept).

Agreed with this. A 480p avi had no problem on my iPod touch 4G, surprisingly enough, but there was no way it could handle a 720p mkv. I should try out the Cydia VLC and see if it's any better optimized. Sure would be nice to not have to use handbrake to convert every 720p video I want to play to mp4 though.

EDIT: It seems to have problems with mkv's in general. Even a 480p lags a bit.

wizard
Oct 26, 2010, 02:36 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Say it isn't so!

I've been resisting the urge to update my 3G for awhile now, this however is going to pull at me until I do. On the other handit doesn't hurt to wait as they are obviously improving the app as it goes.

wizard
Oct 26, 2010, 02:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Why all the videos in the sshot have a maximum of 480 or 320 lines, like non-retina displays?

Does this release actually take advantages from the 960x640 resolution, or it just decodes in 480x320 for 3GS and 3rd gen. Touch and upscales on iPhone 4 and 4th gen Touch?
I mean, on Retina displays it should go on a "full screen mode" anyway, since divx videos have a maximum width of 720 pixels (on 960 horizontals), but on "old" displays it is going to scale down, i suppose.

I'm going to buy a 4th generation iPod Touch and i'd like to know, because i'm planning to use this on it... maybe it's just a stupid question, but iPads have just one resolution now (1024x768), other iOS devices actually two.

:)

It is free software give the guys a chance.

Nuvi
Oct 26, 2010, 05:06 AM
Apple doesn't allow third party apps to use API's for hardware video acceleration. Therefore, 720p won't play on iPhone VLC. Developer can't do anything about it really except to either wait for faster CPU's or ask Apple to provide API's for video acceleration. Love those Apple's iOS API restrictions... :(

jvjava
Oct 26, 2010, 03:57 PM
How are you guys getting the other files to your iphone device?--- Nevermnd, figured it out

matrix07
Oct 27, 2010, 05:53 AM
"- You can now open attachments from other applications, as well as RTSP and MMS streams."

It can't stream MMS. Somebody should edit the first post.

arnop
Oct 27, 2010, 10:51 AM
I'm extremely happy with that announcement ! Going to download it right away and enjoy my non-accepted-by-iTunes videos !

Lindberg
Oct 27, 2010, 01:13 PM
Apple doesn't allow third party apps to use API's for hardware video acceleration. Therefore, 720p won't play on iPhone VLC. Developer can't do anything about it really except to either wait for faster CPU's or ask Apple to provide API's for video acceleration. Love those Apple's iOS API restrictions... :(

That doesn't make any sence! What would Apple loose if they gave developers that option?

altquark
Oct 27, 2010, 03:55 PM
I have VLC Media Player for my iPad. I love it. I wish that it would play HD video a little better - and would pay $10 if it were able to play local streams (similar to StreamToMe and Air Video). VLC is the best.

But I'm disappointed with it not supporting iPhone 3G. Seems that the iPhone 3Gs is the "lowest" phone version to work with this. I'm not sure why iPhone 3G support isn't there.

PLEASE get this support in iPhone 3G.

As for those people wondering "why" VLC over the internal movie player ? Simple - you don't have to convert movies. VLC plays practically ANY standard and ANY audio/Video Codec. I run VLC on my macs, on my PC's and have a HUGE video collection and I certainly don't want to spend years trying to convert everything just so my iPhone/iPad can play it. Now, on my iPad, I just "drag and drop" my movies/TV Shows - and play ! VLC is the best.

Jimmy James
Oct 27, 2010, 07:12 PM
I have VLC Media Player for my iPad. I love it. I wish that it would play HD video a little better - and would pay $10 if it were able to play local streams (similar to StreamToMe and Air Video). VLC is the best.

But I'm disappointed with it not supporting iPhone 3G. Seems that the iPhone 3Gs is the "lowest" phone version to work with this. I'm not sure why iPhone 3G support isn't there.

PLEASE get this support in iPhone 3G.

And this is why, when the 3GS was released and everyone was pronouncing it to be a "minor upgrade", they were terribly wrong.

The 3G is a slow machine by modern standards. I'm not surprised it's been abandoned for video decoding.

seriah
Oct 27, 2010, 11:40 PM
thanks for this information VLC is ggod product in these days

Nicksd84
Oct 30, 2010, 10:41 AM
Actually just d/led this app it's pretty stellar. The fwd/rew functions need to be tweaked a bit, but this will make watching videos much easier. Also to the person who said u need an external source for sound, just flip that vibrate switch back over.

ksgant
Oct 31, 2010, 12:21 PM
Expect this app to disappear soon...maybe. Videolan is making a big stink about it and the GPL on Apple's "closed" system.

http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2010-October/077325.html

v4vectors
Nov 2, 2010, 06:38 AM
Permalink Daily iPhone Blog | Imperial Leisure | Email this | Comments Go to Source

unfeomateo
Nov 2, 2010, 01:41 PM
It can't stream MMS. Somebody should edit the first post.

it streams MMS for me.