Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I can't see myself popping my air open anytime soon to upgrade, but it's nice to have the option. 128GB = 106GB with the stock install of Snow Leopard and iLife '11.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
- except for finding the security torx screw driver

Click Here.

This kit has both the T5 and T8 mentioned in the ifixit article, for $7.99.

Many vehicles with HID headlights use security torx screws to secure the bulb enclosure. Plus there are links at the ifixit URL for them.

rsdq

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2008
Hi,

I have a torx set - l don't have what ifixit calls a "5-point Security Torx"
used to get the outside lower case open. They don't say but I am guessing 4 screws

Ifixit : "We had to file a couple of flathead screwdrivers to take out the funky screws"

Sound like a small challenge

If you have a link to a screwdriver that would work with the lower case screws please share

Thanks!

rsdq

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2008
Wow,

My mistake!!. Sorry. I clicked on the amazon link and I thought it was just the regular torx set - this look exactly what ifixit was referring to for the case.

Thanks for the help.

I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Click Here.

This kit has both the T5 and T8 mentioned in the ifixit article, for $7.99.

Many vehicles with HID headlights use security torx screws to secure the bulb enclosure. Plus there are links at the ifixit URL for them.

I don't think this is the correct set. The description says it's a 7 point torx set and the picture of the screw bit shows a hex pattern that is different from the MBA's.

Perhaps this is the set you are referring to? http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-5-POINT-TAMPER-SECURITY-SOCKET/dp/B0026WMIV4

Lifted from ifixit http://meta.ifixit.com/View/971/5-point+torx+case+screws

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
I can't wait to do this upgrade!

Since Apple has not made this a user friendly upgrade - as they have done in the past - would this upgrade void the Apple warranty and Apple Care

As long as you don't damage anything on the way in/out you should be fine for AppleCare. If you put the old drive back in before taking your MBA for warranty work, Apple should have no idea you've been in there at all.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I am already liking Flash storage, I can't wait until they have 12TB Flash with the next generation Sandforce controller with transfer speeds around 2GB/sec. That would be cool, but I don't know how I would ever be able to use something like that. LOL :)

Give it 2-3 years and we will be there. Maybe 4 or 5 years.

Zapgun

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010
Hmm

Went to the photofast website this morning and there's no mention of the upgrade kit now. Hope that's just them updating their website. :/

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I am already liking Flash storage, I can't wait until they have 12TB Flash with the next generation Sandforce controller with transfer speeds around 2GB/sec. That would be cool, but I don't know how I would ever be able to use something like that. LOL :)

Give it 2-3 years and we will be there. Maybe 4 or 5 years.

I thought you were crazy until I read your second paragraph.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I don't think this is the correct set. The description says it's a 7 point torx set and the picture of the screw bit shows a hex pattern that is different from the MBA's.

Perhaps this is the set you are referring to? http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-5-POINT-TAMPER-SECURITY-SOCKET/dp/B0026WMIV4

Lifted from ifixit http://meta.ifixit.com/View/971/5-point+torx+case+screws

I agree with you about the correct pattern. Unfortunately that set doesn't include a T5 size which is what is on the bottom of the MBA.

runnin17

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
I am anxious to see if someone is able to fit 512GB on a platter that size. 512GB with sandforce controller would be awesome.

It might cost $1000, but it would but many people's worries about storage space to rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.