Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would like most in the new MBAs?

• Total voters

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
What would you have liked to see in the Rev D MBAs, or what do you miss most?

You can select 3 features.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Actually it doesn't let me limit the number of selections
so go for as many as you want. However the less you choose the higher their proportion will be so you'd be better going for what you would want the most.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

1.) Engrave by request.

2.) CEllular modem. With carrier of choice.

3.) Slot for cable lock.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I understand why they didn't go with the Core i series yet, but it would have been nice had they made the 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo standard on the 13" with a 2.4GHz upgrade now that it appears they have solved the heat issues. A 1.86GHz option on the 11" would also be nice.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
While I realize heat is an issue I would have liked to see the 2.26 w/upgrade to 2.4 on the 13" MBA as the two CPU's. The GPU is honestly better than I expected. I have no issues with the battery as the MBA is about weight/portability first and foremost and for web browsing, email and my work VPN I have seen on at 7am running until 3:30 or 4pm with avg use. Not non stop but in between calls and such I use it all day and while Monday it was at 2% at 4pm it did make it without having to charge. No complaints of 9 hours of standby with constant use. I would guess a easy 6 hours of usage.

LTE, when it is actually rolled out and widespread would make perfect sense for the MBA but at this point I'm sure they left out the 3g chip, the backlight and anything else that would suck down the power to improve battery life.

All in all the new MBA is probably one of, if not the best laptop experience I've used. Portable, powerful enough for my needs and decent battery life. I can't wait to see what's next. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Ram, backlight keyboard and larger SSD options, in that order of importance for me.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Where is the option for SD card slot for 11.6 inch model, longer battery life, and cheaper price?

Fail.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'd improve it so that each new MacBook Air comes with 10 shares of Apple stock. I'd even take the 2GB 64GB SSD version for $999 if it came with that. :)

ingramLee

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
New York, NY
It's the #1 realistic request for the next refresh. Maybe an SD card in the 11" is another realistic request, along with a processor boost.

I would put a higher priority on the SD Card slot, more Ram, bigger SSD, and maybe a $100 price drop before I would worry about backlit keys. But thats just me. I think they are cool, never had a laptop with them yet. I am pretty good a typing though... :cool:

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
You missed my one show stopper and one "really want to have."

- FW800
- Gigabit Ethernet

Nice to haves in rank order...

- upgradeable RAM
- upgradeable SSD
- backlit keyboard
- iSight camera
- USB3 ports

Cool stuff...

- battery indicator lights
- sleep indicator light

runnin17

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
The SSD is upgradable (it is a proprietary unit). It can be swapped out for a larger one if companies start making them in that format.

I would give it a bigger SSD, integrated 3G and USB 3.0.

Heck if it had USB 3.0 I would just use a large external SSD for most of the tasks. C'mon people be smart about this.

The CPU is not the bottleneck with this computer. A faster CPU would cause more heat, worse battery life, etc. You have to think about these things before you just check a box. :confused:

n2arkitektur

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
OC
"I never would have imagined you people would have had such a hard on for the back lit keyboard" is what I think Steve Jobs is saying about now. You all actually want that more than a next generation processor? Well, I'm sure you will get what you want in the next generation, but you will have to wait 18 months.

n2arkitektur

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
OC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)
2.) CEllular modem. With carrier of choice.

You actually do have your choice of carriers.

http://shop.sprint.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?phoneSKU=PCD19014G
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...+USBConnect+Velocity+-+Black&q_sku=sku4380265
http://shop.verizonwireless.com/?id=Verizon+Wireless+USB760+Modem+USB Modem

If Apple included an integrated cellular modem, you would have no choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.