PDA

View Full Version : Networked Slave Applications - Render Farm???

gelbin
Aug 28, 2002, 02:34 PM
I am considering a new pmac. I currently have a g4 450. I could also upgrade to 1ghz with one of the new upgrade cards. one of the considerations is whether i can still make use of the g4 450 when i get a new one.

on that note, are there any applications that in standard form support network based neural networks - i mean, like if fcp would farm out rendering to the other machine, i think combustion will do this, are there 3d programs that will as well??

Any info on specific software, to include 3d, video, and even audio (though i find that least likely) would be appreciated.

chris

edesignuk
Aug 28, 2002, 02:36 PM
I *think* Bryce5 supports network rendering.

FattyMembrane
Aug 28, 2002, 06:47 PM
i'm pretty sure that if you run yellowdog linux you can set up a renderman render farm, but don't quote me on that

Macpoops
Nov 14, 2002, 08:32 PM
Bryce 5 does it and it does it cross platform. I am currently rendering a scene for for class during down time in the labs. Got 13 450 G4s working on it right now. And i must say it works beautifully.

gelbin
Nov 14, 2002, 08:34 PM
does each computer have to have bryce on it?

Macpoops
Nov 14, 2002, 10:17 PM
Bryce 5 comes with a render client called Bryce Lightining. This needs to be installed and running on each machine you intend to use for rendering. once up and running it comunicates with bryce 5.

mymemory
Nov 14, 2002, 10:53 PM
After Effects has a render soft too.

I recomend you to add ram to your 450. I had a G4 400 and changed the processor for a dual 500, the difference wasn't that much.

Right now I'm setting up the dual 500 with 2 powerbooks G3 500 (Pismos). I haven't finish it yet but I have read some articles about render in network that recomend to keep your old macs to use them as a render farm, the speed can be close to half the time.

After I set up my system I'm gona open a threat about it, I may do it after the week end.