Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
I was thinking about possibly selling my MacBook Pro and purchasing the 11.6-inch Air because I'm a college student who doesn't need much more than word processing, web browsing, iTunes, and portability. But I hear that the Airs don't have the glass covering of the Pro... Is the screen itself plastic or glass and does it scratch easily?

nicoritschel

macrumors regular
May 22, 2006
There is no glass covering over the screen on the MBA, correct. I don't know how you could really scratch the screen on a laptop anyways? Do you put your laptop in a bag while it's open?

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Glass can scratch too, no glass means slightly less glare and best of all if you get a spot of dust you can remove it!

I know it can scratch too, but it's far less likely to. my Pro still looks FLAWLESS after 7 months lol. I'm starting to think the Cons definitely outweigh the Pros with the MBA :(

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you take all of the years that Apple's been selling notebooks, glass-covered screens are a relatively new feature.

"Scratching your screen" wasn't a concern that notebook buyers worried about before glass-covered screens came around. I never went out of my way to baby my notebooks, and the ones I had without glass-covered screens still looked FLAWLESS two years later.

One nice effect of a NON glass-covered screen is reduced glare.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
My 2007 Polycarbonate MacBook didn't have glass, and it still has no scratches on the screen.

My 2010 iPad has glass, yes it already had a scratch within weeks after buying it.

Just my $0.02.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
My 2007 Polycarbonate MacBook didn't have glass, and it still has no scratches on the screen.

My 2010 iPad has glass, yes it already had a scratch within weeks after buying it.

Just my $0.02.

I have a 2006 Polycarbonate MacBook, and the screen is still 100% perfect without scratches. I clean it regularly too. So.. I as long as you're careful with it you'll be fine.

Another $0.02 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.