PDA

View Full Version : no glass = scratches?

joshwithachance
Nov 3, 2010, 04:55 PM
I was thinking about possibly selling my MacBook Pro and purchasing the 11.6-inch Air because I'm a college student who doesn't need much more than word processing, web browsing, iTunes, and portability. But I hear that the Airs don't have the glass covering of the Pro... Is the screen itself plastic or glass and does it scratch easily?

nicoritschel
Nov 3, 2010, 05:42 PM
There is no glass covering over the screen on the MBA, correct. I don't know how you could really scratch the screen on a laptop anyways? Do you put your laptop in a bag while it's open?

Kebabselector
Nov 3, 2010, 05:53 PM
Glass can scratch too, no glass means slightly less glare and best of all if you get a spot of dust you can remove it!

joshwithachance
Nov 3, 2010, 06:13 PM
Glass can scratch too, no glass means slightly less glare and best of all if you get a spot of dust you can remove it!

I know it can scratch too, but it's far less likely to. my Pro still looks FLAWLESS after 7 months lol. I'm starting to think the Cons definitely outweigh the Pros with the MBA :(

wirelessmacuser
Nov 3, 2010, 06:26 PM
Simply be careful, you don't have to baby it, just enjoy it... :)

aristobrat
Nov 3, 2010, 07:34 PM
If you take all of the years that Apple's been selling notebooks, glass-covered screens are a relatively new feature.

"Scratching your screen" wasn't a concern that notebook buyers worried about before glass-covered screens came around. I never went out of my way to baby my notebooks, and the ones I had without glass-covered screens still looked FLAWLESS two years later.

One nice effect of a NON glass-covered screen is reduced glare.

ImperialX
Nov 3, 2010, 09:20 PM
My 2007 Polycarbonate MacBook didn't have glass, and it still has no scratches on the screen.

My 2010 iPad has glass, yes it already had a scratch within weeks after buying it.

Just my $0.02.

C64
Nov 3, 2010, 09:28 PM
My 2007 Polycarbonate MacBook didn't have glass, and it still has no scratches on the screen.

My 2010 iPad has glass, yes it already had a scratch within weeks after buying it.

Just my $0.02.

I have a 2006 Polycarbonate MacBook, and the screen is still 100% perfect without scratches. I clean it regularly too. So.. I as long as you're careful with it you'll be fine.

Another $0.02 :)