Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
MacBook Air 11.6 Review

Specifications:
1.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
4GB of RAM
64GB SSD Flash

Tuesday, November 2nd I received my MacBook Air. I bought this coming from a MacBook Pro (’07) 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM, and 120 GB HDD, not a bad computer by any means, but before you read this review keep this in mind.

THE BOX:
When I opened up the regular shipment box and then saw the MacBook Air box it reminded me of my iPad. This has the same exact packaging as the iPad - Simple and beautiful. We all know that Apple packages their products very well and a masterpiece of its own especially comparing it to PC packaging. Apple clearly goes out of their way to impress you with the box and it shows.

LOOKS:
Of course, we all know how good looking this generation of the MacBook Air is from the videos and pictures we have seen online. I knew what it was going to look like beforehand because I went and looked at it in store. However, that being said, I still was in awe when I opened it up having it be my own. There was just something about this that when I opened up the box, it was like christmas as a child. The computer is extremely thin and crazy light weight. (My buddy has the White MacBook and it immediately made his look like a tank and out of date.)

This computer is a design masterpiece. Way to go Apple!

DISPLAY & PERFORMANCE:
Again, coming from my 2007 MacBook Pro 15”, this display blows it away. The clarity on this 11.6 display is superb!

I have the 1.4 GHz and 4GB RAM specs and I haven’t noticed any type of hesitation in performance - Applications open up instantly(flash storage helps). I booted it up today after waking up (first time I ever completely shut it off) and I was back up and running within 10 seconds. I was blown away - I laughed. This thing boots and comes back from sleep, instantly - very impressed.

The speakers on this computer actually impressed me. I was able to blast them in my living room while doing the dishes in the kitchen and hear it perfectly.

I don’t use my computer for anything that’s too processor stressing, anymore. I basically surf the internet, e-mail, watch videos, and listen to music. If I ever want to play a game, I stick to my Xbox 360. This computer fits me perfectly. This computer is right for a lot of people, but also you need to make sure of what you do on a daily basis before purchasing a MacBook Air, as they are not cheap.

Verdict:
This computer is fast.
The battery is great.
Display is superb.
Design is a masterpiece.

I highly recommend this to people who do the same type of work I stated - light work.

Last edited:

opera57

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Awesome! Nice review.. I'm going to check them out tomorrow at the Apple store, it's gonna take a lot of will power to resist buying one I think!
signature_silverapple.jpg

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Awesome! Nice review.. I'm going to check them out tomorrow at the Apple store, it's gonna take a lot of will power to resist buying one I think!

Haha good luck with that! As soon as I saw it in the store, when I got back to the car I said "I'm getting me one of those" 2 days later I ordered.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

If you really don't think you should buy one, you better not go and look at one in the store! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.