Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rog210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
I've just got off the phone with Apple tech support (UK) about a dead optical drive in my PB (3 months old) Whenever I've had a problem with a Mac in the past Apple have shipped a box and collected it, fixed the problem and shipped the unit back to me. Now I'm informed that this is no longer the case and that I'm gonna have to drive an hour and a half each way (at my expense and in my time) to the nearest reseller get the PB fixed.

I buy Apple's products partly for the excellent support, if this is no longer the case and the support is as bad as that offered by PC venders then I might as well save myself some money and build my own PC next time :(

Does anyone else think this is out of order?

mactropy

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2004
M&M's
Wow that sucks. I had my fair share of problems with Apple about 2 years ago (iBook logic board) and they've always shipped boxes. But it sucks that you have to drive to the next reseller. Don't think that that is very customer-friendly.

Bummer. :(

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Rog210 said:
I've just got off the phone with Apple tech support (UK) about a dead optical drive in my PB (3 months old) Whenever I've had a problem with a Mac in the past Apple have shipped a box and collected it, fixed the problem and shipped the unit back to me. Now I'm informed that this is no longer the case and that I'm gonna have to drive an hour and a half each way (at my expense and in my time) to the nearest reseller get the PB fixed.

I buy Apple's products partly for the excellent support, if this is no longer the case and the support is as bad as that offered by PC venders then I might as well save myself some money and build my own PC next time :(

Does anyone else think this is out of order?

tell them to sod off and that they have sold you a dodgy unit and are under contract to get it fixed at there expense

its fact, dont let them push you over

as for building a pc, good luck with that :rolleyes:

Applespider

macrumors G4
Agreed - the service is not as good as it was.

I have a problem with a set of iPod headphones that are still under warranty. Apple telephone support said that I would need to send them, wait and then get another pair sent out so I figured I would go into Regent St and do it there. They can only replace them once a Genius says that they are broken and can't be repaired but there are no Genius Bar appointments left and the best they can do is 'try again' tomorrow.

I had just activated my Procare but that didn't appear to be any use either - except that I can now prebook a Genius appointment supposedly 7 days ahead. Nope, I have the option of Wed, Thurs, Fri (and there are no Wed left and were none left for today by 11am)

Not every problem can take up 30 minutes of Genuis Time surely - can't they have one Genius who isn't booked out but you can wait in line for?

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
Call them, nicely complain, work your way up the line of levels until you talk to someone fairy important.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Rog210 said:
I bought it from the Apple store!

The retail location, I presume? If so, they may have changed their policies that when you try to get service with a product from a retail store, that you have to bring it to the retail store. Was their any verbage on your sales receipt or service agreement stating this?

Either way, I could see it being annoying.

Rog210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I bought it online from apple.com/uk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.