Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Ok lets say that i am in the market for a new desktop and i would like to spend as little money as possible. I would like to buy the apple mini with everything (monitor, keyboard and mouse) how much would it really cost to get it to be a working desktop?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
You can't add up, or just lazy? :rolleyes:

Find a monitor, get price
Find a keyboard, get price
Find a mouse, get price

Mini + monitor + kbd + mouse = cost ;)

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Well the base price is 499, from there you can add any monitor, and any USB keyboard and mouse, so it depends on how much you want to spend on a monitor and keyboard. You can find a keyboard and mouse for about $30, and prices for monitors are about $100-The Sky. So honstly you could get the Mac Mini fully set up for about $650.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Well, be forewarned that the 17" iMac is going to be competition by the time you add everything.

But, if you want to go low-end:

(1) There's no reason to get the 1.42 GHz version; upgrade the 1.25 GHz version to an 80GB drive, if you want, and save $50. Or stay with 40GB and save $100. So, let's say you get the cheapest one.

Price so far: $499.

(2) Spend the money to upgrade to 512MB. $75 is worth it.

Price so far: $574.

(3) If you don't mind a CRT, you can get a 17" for $99. Maybe ~$300 for an LCD.

Price so far: $673 (if you get the $99 CRT).

(4) You can get a decent KB/mouse combo for $30, maybe less.

Price so far: $703.

So, I'd say a bit over $700 for the cheapest usable configuration. $1000 or so for some upgrades.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
of course, according to your sig you already have a REALLY nice desktop setup, so why you would need to do this is beyond me. but that aside, you could always at least use that nice apple display you already have and then all you would need is a KB and mouse.

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
Well first off, if you understand the market it is going after, it is the PC user who happens to have an ipod, 3 year old PC looking to upgrade or replace. Mostly likely they have a monitor and USB keyboard and mouse. So the cost is $499 to them.

But as usually people are easily up sold and figure why not get a new monitor and keyboard. so they look at it all and maybe realize hell I am over a $1000 lets look at an Imac, which for Apples is good thing since you can bet the margins on an Imac are better then the mini.

I can tell you this much I am buying one for my in-laws. They have a 5 yr old Imac and I was going to get them an eMac. But why, I have an extra monitor and keyboard I'll give them, so to them it is $499 for what they need. I bet i can get $150 for the Imac so it is really $350 to them.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Well, figure $1,000 for the computer w/ Superdrive, AE, BT, matching wireless keyboard and mouse, and an upgrade to 512MB RAM. Then add a monitor of your choice. You could add a 20" Cinima Display for another thousand.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
mactastic said:
Well, figure $1,000 for the computer w/ Superdrive, AE, BT, matching wireless keyboard and mouse, and an upgrade to 512MB RAM. Then add a monitor of your choice. You could add a 20" Cinima Display for another thousand.

Repeat after me:

I do not have to buy an Apple branded Display.

I do not have to buy an Apple branded Keyboard and Mouse.

All I need is the Mac mini, and the upgrading to a SuperDrive, larger HDD, AEcard, and Ram can be done on my behalf, it is not hard. :)

Only thing you might want is bluetooth as a BTO. :)

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Maestro64 said:
Mostly likely they have a monitor and USB keyboard and mouse. So the cost is $499 to them.

Most PCs (especially outdated ones) ship(ped) with a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, so really a majority of the so-called target consumers will have to get a keyboard and mouse anyways.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I have visions of getting a wireless keyboard & mouse and hooking it up to my 50" Panasonic LCD TV. That would be cool!!!!

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
kingjr3 said:
Most PCs (especially outdated ones) ship(ped) with a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, so really a majority of the so-called target consumers will have to get a keyboard and mouse anyways.

or a cheap ps/2 -> usb converter. i have a number of them just laying around here, so i know they can't be that hard to come across.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
kingjr3 said:

Some PC users also have a BT mouse and keyboard along with LED, RF, and Laser mouse.

No need to add something to the package that many Mac and PC users have complained in the past that all they do is toss the keyboard and mouse in a draw.

Plus do not forget that you can buy Keyboard and Mouse on ebay, or some 3rd party for much much cheaper. Some vendors are giving it for free with the Mac mini purchase.

I fail to see your point, unless you buy it direct from Apple at the moment. :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
baby duck monge said:
or a cheap ps/2 -> usb converter. i have a number of them just laying around here, so i know they can't be that hard to come across.

Please read others post before posting, it can be rather rude when all you have is a I SHALL ONLY BUY FROM APPLE mindset.

There are 3rd party Apple vendors that give these for free, just look around. :)

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
baby duck monge said:

You sure you don't have that backwards? Most Microsoft periphs came with a USB -> PS/2 converter (the little green guys). The PS/2 to USB converters are a bit more expensivo. Although this doesn't look so bad - http://www.digitaletc.com/go/item/6632

maya, my point was that even a person looking to replace the family PC is going to spend more than $499 + tax/ship. I just dont' see why apple didn't just include a KB/mouse. Sort of like buying a car without tires or a monitor without cables, IMO.

Either way, I may end up getting one and using it as a house "server"/development environment of some sort and just use VNC to drive it.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
patseguin said:
I have visions of getting a wireless keyboard & mouse and hooking it up to my 50" Panasonic LCD TV. That would be cool!!!!

This is actually a really good idea. Its so small, it would be the perfect media centered computer.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
m a y a said:
Check out MacMall, they are giving a FREE Keyboard and Mouse with the purchase of a Mac mini.

True. Any ideas on how to get the details of what keyboard and mouse is part of this deal? The MacMall site mentions this deal on the main page and the Mac mini "family" page, but doesn't appear to have any further details. It's not even listed in the Rebates page for the minis, although the free printers, earbuds, wireless routers, etc. are.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
grapes911 said:
This is actually a really good idea. Its so small, it would be the perfect media centered computer.
Unfortunately, Apple didn't supply it with the necessary inputs (i.e. coax, component/DVI) or outputs (optical audio). I agree that the form factor makes it great for a media PC, but it just doesn't have everything you'd need.

Someone else suggested that perhaps Apple is working on another MediaPC type unit along with a video store (a la iTMS). Let's all say a little prayer for that. :D

EDIT - I also wanted to add that this would be a perfect "WebTV" type computer. Throw in the Bluetooth and Airport Extreme, then add a BT keyboard and you're set. The only thing is that I've never seen a BT keyboard with a "mouse" type device. Maybe someone should come out with a keyboard with a "thumbstick" or trackpad. That would be sweet.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
baby duck monge said:
of course, according to your sig you already have a REALLY nice desktop setup, so why you would need to do this is beyond me. but that aside, you could always at least use that nice apple display you already have and then all you would need is a KB and mouse.

I am not gona get it i dont need it, i was just asking to see how cheap the mac mini really is.

To be honest i think if they had a normal desktop but smaller something like 30% the size of teh G5 powermac it would be better that comes with a monitor/ mouse and keyboard, as macs normaly do this should come with everything you need out of the box.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
dejo said:
True. Any ideas on how to get the details of what keyboard and mouse is part of this deal? The MacMall site mentions this deal on the main page and the Mac mini "family" page, but doesn't appear to have any further details. It's not even listed in the Rebates page for the minis, although the free printers, earbuds, wireless routers, etc. are.

Call them up and ask. :)

The answer is only a phone call away. :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
kingjr3 said:
maya, my point was that even a person looking to replace the family PC is going to spend more than $499 + tax/ship. I just dont' see why apple didn't just include a KB/mouse. Sort of like buying a car without tires or a monitor without cables, IMO.

Apple is not leaving you high and dry, well at least not they 3rd party vendors. Since they are offering FREE K/M.

I am sure you can buy a cheaper keyboard and mouse else where also a monitor. All Apple wants is for you or other to get hooked on the OS and apps that is all. Sure in the end you will spend more than 499 then again that happens with all electronics, you have to buy a printer, scanner, digital camera, blah blah blah....

Look at digital cameras they do not come with the docking station you have to buy that along with rechargeable batteries. <--- What is that all about?

Same with this product, you want low cost then you get what you pay for. :)

This products is only there so people come in with the intent to buy it however will buy something more expensive, a great marketing ploy. :)

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
m a y a said:
Look at digital cameras they do not come with the docking station you have to buy that along with rechargeable batteries. <--- What is that all about?

Mine came with a rechargeable and a USB cable. ;)

We can just agree to disagree - yeah MacMall has it right (after rebate) but the least apple could have done was throw in a PS/2 -> USB converter. That one I found was only $10 - but I guess to paint it white and put an apple logo on it would up the value to $50 (yes that was a joke). Some of us are attached to our MS Ergonomic keyboards.

Good price point, good marketing, but in reality you do end up spending more no matter how you spin it - but that was the intent right? :)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
mactastic said:

And then you could get the 20" imac instead and have a way nicer mac. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.