Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
m a y a said:
Repeat after me:

I do not have to buy an Apple branded Display.

I do not have to buy an Apple branded Keyboard and Mouse.

All I need is the Mac mini, and the upgrading to a SuperDrive, larger HDD, AEcard, and Ram can be done on my behalf, it is not hard. :)

Only thing you might want is bluetooth as a BTO. :)

Well duh. I was just trying to answer the guy's question. I'm well aware of different brand monitors, mice, keyboards, etc.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
I keep seeing people saying "Add a 20" Cinema for $1000 and you might as well get an iMac". But the 20" Cinema is WAY better than getting an iMac.. The 20" cinema is a far better panel than the one that comes with the iMac. But the real point that destroys the comparison is that you can use the cinema three years from now with a newer mac mini. Or a G6 tower. Or whatever. For my money the Cinema is a better deal.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
panphage said:
I keep seeing people saying "Add a 20" Cinema for $1000 and you might as well get an iMac". But the 20" Cinema is WAY better than getting an iMac.. The 20" cinema is a far better panel than the one that comes with the iMac. But the real point that destroys the comparison is that you can use the cinema three years from now with a newer mac mini. Or a G6 tower. Or whatever. For my money the Cinema is a better deal.

Why even buy the ACD for that matter? You can get as big displays for much much less. :)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
panphage said:

The only problem is that there's no processor in the cinema display. Makes it kinda hard to run any apps... ;)

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
m a y a said:
Repeat after me:

I do not have to buy an Apple branded Display.

I do not have to buy an Apple branded Keyboard and Mouse.

All I need is the Mac mini, and the upgrading to a SuperDrive, larger HDD, AEcard, and Ram can be done on my behalf, it is not hard. :)

Only thing you might want is bluetooth as a BTO. :)

hey maya and i actually agree here. All you need is the mini, everything else apple offers can be done later, except maybe the internal bluetooth. Has anyone installed internal bluetooth themselves?

Tyler

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
kingjr3 said:
but in reality you do end up spending more no matter how you spin it

I hook up my DVI LCD display, USB keyboard and USB mouse. Total cost more to me: $0. No need for me to spend any more no matter how you look at it.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
TyleRomeo said:
hey maya and i actually agree here. All you need is the mini, everything else apple offers can be done later, except maybe the internal bluetooth. Has anyone installed internal bluetooth themselves?

Tyler

Not possible from what I gather. :(

BTO or USB dongle later.

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
If you want a wireless KB/mouse combo pickup the Logitech Cordless MX Duo from zipzoomfly for 59.99 shipped. Costs the same as the wired apple KB/mouse.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
ftaok said:
The only thing is that I've never seen a BT keyboard with a "mouse" type device. Maybe someone should come out with a keyboard with a "thumbstick" or trackpad. That would be sweet.

It's not quite the same, but one little-used feature of MacOS since System 7 or so is "mouse keys" (where your keypad directs the mouse around) in the Universal access prefs. It's not great for any sort of precision things and will never beat a mouse for many things but I use it all the time with my bluetooth keyboard. With practice you can get quite good at using it (even drag and drop)

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
Solafaa said:
it would be better that comes with a monitor/ mouse and keyboard, as macs normaly do this should come with everything you need out of the box.

Is it just me or have people been complaining forever that Apple bundles keyboards and mice that they don't use with their computers? Seems people are always grumbling about having drawers full of keyboards and mice that they don't have the option to refuse.

(side note: I realize that those people might be construed as "power users", obviously not the target of this particular machine) :D

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
OK, folks, the Mac mini can be considered as either (a) a replacement for an existing tower unit or (b) one component of an a-la-carte computer system. The mini is not, and is not being marketed as, a complete system.

It allows people who are so inclined to buy macs with a two button mouse and/or more ergonomic keyboard and/or cheap monitor, none of which Apple makes. If they included a mouse and keyboard with the computer automatically, it would be the overpriced apple mouse and keyboard, which, from my experience, recent PC converts tend to hate.

Remember that the one-button mouse has been a turn-off for PC users (and several mac users) ever since the invention of the two-button mouse. Hence not including it :)

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
coolsoldier said:
Remember that the one-button mouse has been a turn-off for PC users (and several mac users) ever since the invention of the two-button mouse. Hence not including it :)

Blah, i never use apple keyboards or mouse, i got the Logitech and a Microsoft Explorer 3.0 USB mouse. By the way whats the point of the 1 button mouse? i dont get it.

gauriemma

macrumors member
May 4, 2004
Merits (or lack thereof) of the new "Mini" aside, I find it amusing that so many people are apparently up in arms over the fact that a Macintosh computer is actually being sold without a keyboard and mouse.

As a Mac user from the 'old days' (read: the 1980s), I can still remember a time when such components had to be purchased separately. All you got out of the box was a CPU.

Funny how things come back around, isn't it?

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
Now, to actually answer the question:

Assuming one does not own a mouse, keyboard, or monitor, and also that one buys the cheapest available peripherals from walmart.com, one can get a complete computer system priced as follows:

Mac Mini, $499-$599
CRT Monitor, $119
USB Keyboard, $19.88
USB Mouse, $11.98
-----------------------------------
Complete System $649.86-$749.86

Alternatively, one could take advantage of macmall's free keyboard&mouse promotion and buy just the monitor, bringing the total system price down to $618-$718.

Of course, a great many people already have monitors (Fewer have USB mice and keyboards, although dual PS2 to USB cables can be purchased for considerably less than the price of a mouse-keyboard set)

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
so i am thinking about getting one of these. i think i will go witht he slower model and throw in the 512 and get a superdrive.

i found a pretty good 15 lcd for $250 and i think that will due until i get some more spair cash for a bigger monitor.

my question is, i know this thing will be fine running Tiger, but will it be Core capable? I remember seeing a list of GPU's that were Core compatible, but i dont remember seeing the 9200 as one of them. that would be sort of a let down if it wasnt. but i guess i can deal with that. it is still a huge jump from what i have now lol.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
gauriemma said:
Merits (or lack thereof) of the new "Mini" aside, I find it amusing that so many people are apparently up in arms over the fact that a Macintosh computer is actually being sold without a keyboard and mouse.

As a Mac user from the 'old days' (read: the 1980s), I can still remember a time when such components had to be purchased separately. All you got out of the box was a CPU.

Macs were being sold without keyboards or mice much later than that. I was flipping through an old copy of MacUser (from 1996) and noticed that many of the Performas did not include keyboard/mouse in the base price. And in those days, you couldn't just plug in any standard USB peripherals...it had to be ADB.

So yeah...we've come full circle.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
TrenchMouth said:
so i am thinking about getting one of these. i think i will go witht he slower model and throw in the 512 and get a superdrive.

i found a pretty good 15 lcd for $250 and i think that will due until i get some more spair cash for a bigger monitor.

my question is, i know this thing will be fine running Tiger, but will it be Core capable? I remember seeing a list of GPU's that were Core compatible, but i dont remember seeing the 9200 as one of them. that would be sort of a let down if it wasnt. but i guess i can deal with that. it is still a huge jump from what i have now lol.

Apparently Apple has removed the list of supported GPUs from its Core Image web page, but the Radeon 9200 was not on the previous list of supported GPUs. However, you will still be able to run Core Image-based applications; extra details like certain animations will just be scaled down or not used.

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
oingoboingo said:
Apparently Apple has removed the list of supported GPUs from its Core Image web page, but the Radeon 9200 was not on the previous list of supported GPUs. However, you will still be able to run Core Image-based applications; extra details like certain animations will just be scaled down or not used.

Here's an old thread (from last July) that talks about CoreImage compatibility and issues with older GPUs. Enjoy! :D

Core Image Compatability

EDIT: Forgot to mention that a list of supported cards is in the thread.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
kingjr3 said:
Most PCs (especially outdated ones) ship(ped) with a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, so really a majority of the so-called target consumers will have to get a keyboard and mouse anyways.

A lot still ship with them... sad, very sad. PS/2 should die and be replaced with extra USB ports, but then again, what would I do with all those extra keyboards I have?

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
ordered mine (1.42 80gb,superd. 512 mb,bluet. airport) together with an apple keyboard (i really like the slim design of them and the 2 usb ports and of course it's a little bit nostalgy since i've been playing warcraft 2 at my friends house in the old days)

732.48 € with edu discount and without taxes (sadly 20% VAT is added here on top of that price)

i'm _really_ happy that it doesn't come with a keyboard and mouse
i wouldn't liked it to pay with my money for a bundled mouse i would never use...

it still is the most expensive PC i've every ordered but it is still cheaper than the iBook with which i wouldn't be much happier (actually: less because of lacking superdrive)
but it is worth every cent

(i've got an KVM switch,3,5 hd enclosure,usb2 hub,wireless router,ipod mini on my wishlist...in that order............. and of course money for mac os x 10.5 and for the iWork version when it has spreadsheet functionality ;))

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Mechcozmo said:
PS/2 should die and be replaced with extra USB ports

Yeah, it's strange. Even the cheap Dells come with 6 USB ports (along with mini-DIN ports for keyboard and mouse). 6 should be plenty for keyboard, mouse, and various other USB devices, especially for their target market.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
gauriemma said:

I've been buying Macs since 1985, and I can't remember buying a single one without a keyboard and mouse. Is my memory really so riddled by age and excess alcohol consumption? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.