PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook, and Mac Mini together?

imac abuser
Jan 12, 2005, 04:00 PM
I have a question I own a new 15" powerbook but downgraded to the optical drive. Big mistake, and I was thinking can I either have apple install a superdrive. Or I was thinking can I use a mac mini connect via DVI and just kinda have two machines in one? Any ideas?

chris

sjpetry
Jan 12, 2005, 04:17 PM
Do you want a desktop is the main question. ;)

yippy
Jan 12, 2005, 04:37 PM
That sounds like you want to use the Powerbook display with the mini. That won't work. The powerbook DVI is DVI out, not in. You could use a VNC client though like this one. (http://www.bombich.com/software/smd.html)

blueknight
Jan 13, 2005, 04:25 AM
VNC is slooooooooooooooow and as we have just learnt, iDVD 5 will let you export a disk image so now you can use an external drive. Go get yourself a Firewire or USB 2.0 DVD burner if thats all you need...

Logik
Jan 13, 2005, 08:38 AM
i already own a dvd burner on my PC... so when i bought my 15" pb 8 months ago i opted to not get the overly expensive superdrive. i then bought an enclosure for my dvd burner and since the dvd burner isn't even a main drive in any computer i simply plug and unplug as needed to whatever computer would need the burning capabilities.. much better than spending $150 or whatever it was for a superdrive... instead i spent $60 on a 8x dual format burner, and $30 on an enclosure and now i have the ability to use it on any computer i need in my house.. more useful than having a superdrive in my powerbook.. i don't usual burn things on the go though.

imac abuser
Jan 13, 2005, 11:20 AM
A lot of great ideas here. I do have a Maxtor II 300 GB external hard drive. So I guess all I need is a external dvd burner. I guess all I'm wondering now is when I get iLife'05 will everything install even though I don't have a dvd burner, or is the requirment just to have a dvd player ?