Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forthebrave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
FIBER IS GREAT!!! but.... I've noticed that the greatness of it mostly with my upstream rather than my down. I can download faster than when I had ADSL but my UPLOAD IS CRAZY!!! I sent my friend a 700 mb file in like 15 min.!!!!! Just wondering if there is some kind of setting that can make my download faster, I always thought down was faster than up??? why should everyone besides myself be benefiting from my FIBER CONNECTION??

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
So is your download still at least as fast as your upload? I would think that perhaps with a fiber connection, they would be equal, unlike the artificially restricted DSL or cable modem setups.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Where in the world are you? I think in London the max you can get is 12mbit...

forthebrave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
JAPAN!! they are so advanced here!! It's FIBER or nothing!!!!! Cheap too! I pay like $40~$50 a month....

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
forthebrave said:
JAPAN!! they are so advanced here!! It's FIBER or nothing!!!!! Cheap too! I pay like $40~$50 a month....

How does it get from the wall to the Mac?
What kind of socket/cable/modem-thingy does it use?

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
forthebrave said:

Seems like I have to move there some day! ;) Well actually that might very well happen since I'll most likely be starting my studies of Japanese language and coulture at the university next fall :)

mcs37

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
I want fiber!!!!

Where can I get it? Broadbandreports.com and other places only log little broadband like DSL and cable.

neilrobinson

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2004
Perth, WA, Australia
start rant:

people and their fibre australians are always last to get it like itunes and then telstra is going to sell it so it will be overpriced and ah damm it

:end rant :D on a more serious note

could it have been the website? or maybe your isp had a bottleneck their for a while.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Not to be a spoil sport... but I did a little calculation over at google... Asuming you downloaded 700 mb in 15 minutes:

46 (megabytes per minute) = 6.13333333 megabits per second

Not shabby, but people... Sheesh... I was getting 4 megabits per second off of a cable modem in Phoenix, AZ. I get 3.5 megabits per second in the middle of nowhere Iowa.

Granted, that's a great connection... Just not the best I've heard.

forthebrave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
true that! Actually Japan advertises FIBER at 100mbps, but once again that depends on how close or far you are from the source. I know I'm not getting the whole 100mbps!! I don't think anybody right now can , unless you live right next door to the source.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
neilrobinson said:
start rant:

people and their fibre australians are always last to get it like itunes and then telstra is going to sell it so it will be overpriced and ah damm it

:end rant :D on a more serious note

could it have been the website? or maybe your isp had a bottleneck their for a while.

Ditto about Telstra mate, It really sux that we are governed by one Telco in this country. The philosophy down here is 'if Telstra doesn't do it - then we don't either'

aussie_geek

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
hcuar said:
Not to be a spoil sport... but I did a little calculation over at google... Asuming you downloaded 700 mb in 15 minutes:

46 (megabytes per minute) = 6.13333333 megabits per second

Not shabby, but people... Sheesh... I was getting 4 megabits per second off of a cable modem in Phoenix, AZ. I get 3.5 megabits per second in the middle of nowhere Iowa.

Granted, that's a great connection... Just not the best I've heard.
You got that uploading?!? If so, that's stunning here in the States. He sent the file at that speed.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2004
I work for a cable internet isp, and i notice that too. Where the upload exceeds the down which seems retarded because you would think it would be the other way around. I'll look into it more and post back

chris

neilrobinson

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2004
Perth, WA, Australia
aussie_geek said:
Ditto about Telstra mate, It really sux that we are governed by one Telco in this country. The philosophy down here is 'if Telstra doesn't do it - then we don't either'

aussie_geek

yeah! :D i reckon 98% of australians agree, the other 2% either have shares in telstra or work for em!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.