Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boneca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
I'm doing allot of Excel stuff at home mostly. Now I ordered iMac Mini and when it comes it will have some sort of software in it. Its gonna be AppleWorks 6 right? Is this is a full MS Excel compatible software? or this is something else? is it full version? Anyway I guess my question is, do I have to go out and by MS Office for Apple to use Excel or what comes with will be enough?

TAIA

volfreak

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Knoxville, TN
You will want Office 2004 for the Mac

While AppleWorks can read some Excel files, if you are doing some real specific Excel stuff, you'll want the real thing. Office2004 is one of the better releases of Office for the Mac in a while. If you're a student, get the Edu discount and it's really pretty inexpensive.

But if you're used to Excel and are doing some demanding things, the only way to get that compatibility is to use Excel.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jay :cool:

boneca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
thx guys for answers. I use Excel allot but I don't do much of demanding things such as formulas, pivot tables etc. So I guess this should do for me.
No I won't be able to use edu. discount as I'm not student anymore and not teacher ether.
What I don't understand exactly is:
While AppleWorks can read some Excel files

is this means that I'm not going to be able to import Excel files from Office 2003 SP2 to AppleWorks? or this is only applies to "complex" excel files that had formulas in it?

TAIA

volfreak

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Knoxville, TN
What I meant.... ;-)

boneca said:
is this means that I'm not going to be able to import Excel files from Office 2003 SP2 to AppleWorks? or this is only applies to "complex" excel files that had formulas in it?

TAIA

Sorry for not being concise. I'm not sure what translators AW has and so the application may not read all Excel files as the file format has changed over the years. But what I was mainly talking about is if you have macros or complex formulae, AW may not be able to accurately convert that information.

I hope this helps and sorry again.

boneca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
volfreak said:
I hope this helps and sorry again.

np, and thx for the answers again, I guess I will have to just wait and see. btw I will let you guys now how its worked out for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.