PDA

View Full Version : Netscape 7...do u care?

mnkeybsness
Aug 29, 2002, 06:10 PM
this is a copy of the screen savers poll...but i'm more interested to hear what just mac users have to say...

Netscape 7 was launched today....do you care?

thoughts....

vniow
Aug 29, 2002, 06:18 PM
Hell no. Netscape 6 was an overdone, bloated and slow browser and 7 is also overdone and bloated but it's quicker. Basically all 7 is is one big AOL ad. :( I had faith in Netscape, but after reading the reviews of it, I'm sticking with Mozilla. :)

Taft
Aug 29, 2002, 06:20 PM
I care only because:

a) Its not affiliated with MS

and

b) It is standards compliant and promotes standards in general. (something that MS doesn't do).

Taft

DeadlyBreakfast
Aug 29, 2002, 07:19 PM
Yea...but Netscape is owned by AOL....For that reason alone it needs to die a horrible death.

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Aug 29, 2002, 09:01 PM
I haven't used Netscape for two years. I haven't used IE for a month. Chimera is alright but Mozilla seems to be the top, IMO.

rainman::|:|
Aug 29, 2002, 09:24 PM
I'm running it now, it's certainly better than Mozilla, which i had been using... some things still lag a bit, but it's an improvement. I'm afraid i don't see the AOL ad thing, but whatever. Yeah it's owned by the biggest crappy ISP in the world, but it's still the lesser of two evils...

i do wish it could load faster... jeez... 'course i don't quit it except to reboot...

:)
pnw

King Cobra
Aug 29, 2002, 09:35 PM
I would have downloaded the final version of Netscape, but I'm enjoying the speed and anti-alising of Mozilla 1.1.

Personally, I don't care about browser companies/orgs, unless one of them works fast, is stable, and gets the job done. I haven't tried Chimera, but I'll probably give it a go when it hits 1.0.0.

bousozoku
Aug 29, 2002, 10:16 PM
I'll download it for my mum and dad's machine because they already use it (v6.2) and like it.

I use Mozilla except where the website requires Internet Exploder.

Durandal7
Aug 29, 2002, 11:24 PM
Netscape is a bloated browser. I resent it because of it's AOL affiliations.

Personally I'll stick with Chimera or Omniweb (much more stable then IE or NS7)

SilvorX
Aug 29, 2002, 11:44 PM
i hated the netscrap 7 public beta, when i installed netscrap 7, it made problems with mozilla so i couldnt use mozilla well anymore
i noticed to day that the netscape.com/download page had changed when i was trying to dl 4.8 on os8.6 (yes os 8.6 n yes netscrap 4.8 :()

mac15
Aug 30, 2002, 12:17 AM
I'm getting the full one now, I'm pretty sreu I'll like it because its alot faster than mozilla, not rendering , its just that moz on OSX is sluggish as , so I'll let you know

oldMac
Aug 30, 2002, 12:41 AM
I'm happy to try anything that might make my browser experience faster under OS X.

Hemingray
Aug 30, 2002, 01:45 AM
Well, I just tried NS 7 and it loaded the macrumors.com home page in 5 seconds, and IE took 9. That's without caching. The GUI is ugly as sin, though... In VersionTracker terms, I give it 3 stars. One off for being bloated, and one off for being Netscape. :p

Aug 30, 2002, 02:17 AM
I'm suprised noone has mentioned iCab?:confused:

cb911
Aug 30, 2002, 05:28 AM
i would never touch Netscape. i don't even know why it is still being developed. what's wrong with IE? i've got Chimera as well, but i never seem to use that either...

and what's iCab?:confused:

edesignuk
Aug 30, 2002, 06:14 AM
In a word...NO!

sparkleytone
Aug 30, 2002, 06:47 AM
i wont care for a netscape product until chimera IS rtheir OS X product. which will probably happen next year.

mmmdreg
Aug 30, 2002, 08:22 AM
no...chimera is for me...

ackpth
Aug 30, 2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Taft
It is standards compliant and promotes standards in general. (something that MS doesn't do).

... you're kidding, right?

mnkeybsness
Aug 30, 2002, 08:52 AM
i must say i'm quite surprised about how many people are voting YES in this poll...but nobody has that much to say about it that's good.

Hemingray
Aug 30, 2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by cb911

It's a browser that I left for dead a long time ago. They had strict HTML 4.01 compliance, but it didn't support CSS, and the GUI was even worse than Netscape. Of course, the last time I tried it was back in OS 9, so who knows...

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=9109&db=mac

Aug 30, 2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray

It's a browser that I left for dead a long time ago. They had strict HTML 4.01 compliance, but it didn't support CSS, and the GUI was even worse than Netscape. Of course, the last time I tried it was back in OS 9, so who knows...

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=9109&db=mac

ICab for OSX is 100 times better then the early builds of OS9.......at least I think so anyway....... the best browser I have besides Explorer.....

Aug 30, 2002, 02:16 PM
They suck on a number of browsers anyway.:D

beez7777
Aug 30, 2002, 02:21 PM
I'm using OmniWeb, and its workin nicely in OS X. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Netscape, never really was, but i guess it works for some people. To each his own:)

bousozoku
Aug 30, 2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by mac15
I'm getting the full one now, I'm pretty sreu I'll like it because its alot faster than mozilla, not rendering , its just that moz on OSX is sluggish as , so I'll let you know

I'm surprised to hear you say that the Netscape version is faster than Mozilla since about 75 percent of both is the same code. Guess that 25 percent counts in a big way. :)

benzine
Sep 6, 2002, 05:03 AM
Am I the only one here that prefers Opera :confused:

peterjhill
Sep 6, 2002, 06:28 AM
I started using Mosaic when it first came out for Macintosh. I then used Netscape until, I think it was IE ver 3, and IE v3 sucked. So I went back to Netscape (the details are a bit fuzzy, it was a long time ago.) I think when IE 4 or 4.5 came out, I made the switch to IE. I tried each successive version of Netscape, but I do not like the direction that they went in. I don't want to read my email in a damn web browser, and I sure the hell ain't ;-) going to use a web browser to edit web pages. This is the reason why I like the new and improved Maill.app and Address book.app in jaguar, and iCal. Entourage's features (minus a to do list) in separate applications.

I am tired of Netscape. I do have Mozilla on my laptop (which of course Netscape is based on), but I use that for testing.

Bear
Sep 6, 2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by cb911
i would never touch Netscape. i don't even know why it is still being developed. what's wrong with IE? i've got Chimera as well, but i never seem to use that either...

What's wrong with IE you ask?

1) It's made by Microsoft.
2) New security holes are discovered in IE rather often. Although the issues are worse for Windows users then they are for Mac OS users.
3) I do not want to be automatically integrated in .NET or the Passport stuff. I know this hasn't happened yet. But it appears likely.
4) Netscape 7 is much better in a lot of things. One just has to tweak some options to get it to behave how one wants it to.

peterjhill
Sep 6, 2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Bear

What's wrong with IE you ask?

1) It's made by Microsoft.
2) New security holes are discovered in IE rather often. Although the issues are worse for Windows users then they are for Mac OS users.
3) I do not want to be automatically integrated in .NET or the Passport stuff. I know this hasn't happened yet. But it appears likely.
4) Netscape 7 is much better in a lot of things. One just has to tweak some options to get it to behave how one wants it to.

The Microsoft Mac BU has turned out some great software. I think that they are doing an excellent job. I think that Office v.X is a great product.

People look harder for security holes in IE than in other platforms, due to the fact that there is a larger base of people to exploit if a hole is discovered.

Microsoft does not force you to use .NET in anything but their .NET services. Of course if you want to use Hotmail or MSN messenger, you will need a Microsoft account. I think that the MacBU programmers would throw a fit if Microsoft made users sign up for a .NET account to use a new version of IE. Who would upgrade if they did. Why would they make you do this? People would scream spyware. I do not think that it is likely.

As for Netscape being better if you tweak? IE is fine for me without tweaking. Perhaps some people like to tweak more than others. For an OS, that is understandable, but for a web browser, I like the number of options that IE has, and can't think of any that I would want.

One thing that I would miss if I switched from IE, AutoFill. It makes life so nice when filling out web forms.

jiker
Sep 6, 2002, 09:44 AM
Opera is #1 on my PC. unfortunately, the mac side is a bit behind the times. i am hoping for an os X native opera v7. as long as it's on par with its up and coming PC counterpart, it would rock anything out there.

-tom

Bear
Sep 6, 2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by peterjhill

As for Netscape being better if you tweak? IE is fine for me without tweaking. Perhaps some people like to tweak more than others. For an OS, that is understandable, but for a web browser, I like the number of options that IE has, and can't think of any that I would want.

I didn't say "better if you tweaked" I said you could tweak it to so it looks like you want it to.
Everybody has different preferences in what they like. I turn off some of the keyword features and hide the sidebar by default. I also change what things appear on the toolbar by default.