PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases New iPhone 4 Ad: 'Longer'

MacRumors
Nov 17, 2010, 09:54 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/11/17/apple-releases-new-iphone-4-ad-longer/)

Earlier this week, Apple released a new television commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU7s0EMaXp8) for the iPhone 4 entitled "Longer", highlighting the device's battery life.This is the iPhone 4. Its lithium-polymer battery lets you work longer, play longer, laugh longer, listen longer, shoot, edit, share, update, download, read, write, and even FaceTime longer. All on the world's thinnest smartphone - the iPhone 4.The commercial is also featured in Apple's iPhone 4 ad gallery (http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/ads.html).

Apple released a similar feature-specific commercial last month (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/05/apples-new-iphone-4-ad-highlights-retina-display/) focusing on the iPhone 4's high-resolution Retina display.

Article Link: Apple Releases New iPhone 4 Ad: 'Longer' (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/11/17/apple-releases-new-iphone-4-ad-longer/)

youngsunnz
Nov 17, 2010, 10:10 AM
From the beginning the guy is holding the iPhone 4 wrong

daneoni
Nov 17, 2010, 10:32 AM
Is it really still the thinnest phone out there?

From the beginning the guy is holding the iPhone 4 wrong

old

einmusiker
Nov 17, 2010, 10:42 AM
they need to stop marketing the whole thin thing. most people don't care about that as much as the better OS, more ram, better camera etc

jimN
Nov 17, 2010, 10:45 AM
they need to stop marketing the whole thin thing. most people don't care about that as much as the better OS, more ram, better camera etc

Actually, outside of gadget websites, most people do care. People buy the iphone because it's pretty, easy to put in a pocket/bag, works with stuff they have already bought. The average consumer won't give two hoots about the RAM, will judge the camera by its megapixels not it's quality and will probably believe that OSs that look the same are the same.

TheSlush
Nov 17, 2010, 10:55 AM

Nope. In the marketplace, prestige will trump specs every time.

kayloh20
Nov 17, 2010, 11:43 AM

Actually, the reason people don't want a particular phone that I have heard the most is because of the weight, shape, or size. To most people I know, existence of a camera, thin, light, small, no crashes/bugs, and a keyboard is all they ask for.

They have no idea what RAM or a CPU is, let alone how it affects their phone.

To be honest, they're not really doing much marketing on the thinness. They only mentioned it once in the entire ad. It's not like they've made an entire ad placing the iPhone 4 side by side other smart phones.

eizzumdm
Nov 17, 2010, 11:48 AM
So Apple is trying to make FaceTime a verb? Good luck with that.

segfaultdotorg
Nov 17, 2010, 11:56 AM
Background music should have been that Daft Punk song "Bigger, stronger, faster, longer."

scottparker999
Nov 17, 2010, 12:10 PM

worked for 'podcasting'

Gemütlichkeit
Nov 17, 2010, 12:16 PM
Very nice, simple ad that really sells it.

phillipduran
Nov 17, 2010, 12:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the focus of this is to challenge the Droids poor battery life.

manzanaman
Nov 17, 2010, 12:44 PM
Has anyone ever wondered who's the 'hand' of the apple commercials? Or is it all fake?

macfan881
Nov 17, 2010, 12:55 PM
I'm pretty sure the focus of this is to challenge the Droids poor battery life.

Especially the evo 4G which has got a surge in commercial advertising again all of the sudden

iWonderwhy
Nov 17, 2010, 01:27 PM

Worked for Google.

Google it.:D

WilliamG
Nov 17, 2010, 02:08 PM
Apparently the phone only worked at 9:41am, of course. :)

flottenheimer
Nov 17, 2010, 04:21 PM
... but I still have to charge mine every day.

Xian Zhu Xuande
Nov 17, 2010, 05:33 PM
Effective advertisement. One of my favorite points about my iPhone 4. I can go two days now without charging, though instead, I charge every day while doing something like listening to music on my laptop. Best part about this is that my phone is only subjected to the charging it needs, rather than being left on the charger overnight as I've done with every previous iPhone.

Well, every previous phone.

Shark131
Nov 18, 2010, 12:52 AM
My battery is TERRIBLE. I mean, T E R R I B L E. When i play games or anything the battery drains like a mofo. (Yes, i have edge on/or airplane, brightness down, push off, etc. etc)

jglavin
Nov 18, 2010, 08:29 AM
The ad talks about the battery lasting longer, which a lot of people might equate to 'huge battery' which is why they also mention the thickness.

I have to agree, the battery is pretty good on this thing. My old phone frequently needed a mid-day charge. The iphone 4 never dies when I'm awake, and charges while I sleep. With this routine, I never have to think or worry about the battery... could spend hours through the day in the car, listening to music and using TomTom (I don't have a car charger), or shooting pics at job sites, or gaming over lunch. Battery life is just not a concern at this point.

nefan65
Nov 18, 2010, 08:41 AM
Actually, outside of gadget websites, most people do care. People buy the iphone because it's pretty, easy to put in a pocket/bag, works with stuff they have already bought. The average consumer won't give two hoots about the RAM, will judge the camera by its megapixels not it's quality and will probably believe that OSs that look the same are the same.

Agreed...most the people that boast about the newest Android device, and how it's running the latest/greatest Snapdragon Proc, etc. is a techno-nut. The average Smartphone shopper is the one who is looking for an easy to use device, that can make calls, take some pics, text, and surf. The number of times I've been in various cell stores [AT&T, Sprint, etc.], most of the shoppers are looking at devices, and asking "How's the call quality?, Will this work here?". If it's a teen, or 20 something, especially women [sorry, not trying to be sexist], are saying "Oh, this is nice...I like how it looks", or "That one is too clunky or big, I want something small to toss in my purse". In fact, on one occasion I saw a younger couple looking at an EVO. The guy was excited, and told her she should get that one. She said, it's too big, and it looks like it'll break easy. She ended up with a Pink BB Curve..lol

elppa
Nov 18, 2010, 09:41 AM
Although they haven't mentioned it specifically I feel they are definitely targeting a weakness in the competition.

skeep5
Nov 18, 2010, 09:51 AM

better watch your back or i'm going to facetime you.
I was facetiming the other day, and it was awesome.
I got sick and facetimed all over the place.

Nah, it doesn't work.

green86
Nov 18, 2010, 10:35 PM
Epic fail since the battery life on the iPhone 4 sux azz like every other iPhone model...

winninganthem
Nov 19, 2010, 01:20 AM
What is the office program being used on that iPhone? I thought iWork was only available on the iPad.

Pigumon
Nov 19, 2010, 11:05 PM

You are joking right? This is Apple. They turned "Different" into an adverb.

Top156
Nov 20, 2010, 08:11 AM
Love the phone. Hate the lack of battery capacity. Drains excessivley fast while running in a not-so-juice-draining mode. Anyone know of a spare battery carrier or a "fast recharger" for prolonged usage? Had a similar product for my crackberry in the past. Cant recall who the manufacturer was.

Dias
Nov 21, 2010, 06:58 PM
I noticed that battery drains out much more quickly with apps in background, so if you close them it'll be much much better. Yeah, as much as Apple hates it, you have to use task manager. :p

fr3shman
Nov 22, 2010, 07:09 AM
Has anyone else noticed that the "Tech Specs" on Apple's website list the iPhone 4 as having a lithium ion battery and not the advertised lithium polymer?

Am I just missing something or is the iPhone 4 in the commercial a "new" iPhone to be released or are the specs on the web incorrect?

I know the iPad lists a 25W lithium polymer specifically.

alamein
Nov 22, 2010, 11:18 PM
man that girls was cute ^_^ I'd definetly enjoy longer facetime with her

MacGiver
Dec 1, 2010, 08:53 AM
It also says...download longer? :cool:;)

johanwhite
Dec 2, 2010, 02:50 AM
That is a great discovery made by Apple. I think they provided more good features. The battery of iphone 4 runs longer. The title of this new release "Longer" says everything. Also it looks awesome. It is easy to keep it with us. So I like it very much.

gujamin
Jan 25, 2011, 12:19 PM
What is the song/music playing in the background?

likeray
Mar 13, 2011, 12:55 AM
I am waiting for iphone 5

mamba
Mar 18, 2011, 07:01 PM
I like fun and clever ads.
But this :-(
Jusk like cup of tea.

Jesamilana
Mar 21, 2011, 11:12 PM
well the 3GS comes out on the 19th of June, as for your complaint on having a 3G Iphone and wanting the 3GS...too bad...That's like me wanting to bring my 08 maxima back to the dealer ship and wanting to exchange it for the new 2009 that just came out. Even though this is my third maxima doesn't mean they will do it. So if Apple are scammers that means every company that makes electronics are scammers, but more importantly people still buy all the new stuff as soon as it comes out anyway. The question you really need to ask your self is, whose at fault? The company that makes these new electronics every 6 months or the consumer who continues to buy the newest, and greatest every 6 month....I could almost guarantee that a company like Apple would not come out with new products all the time if people didn't buy them.
Source(s):