Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Promotional Purchases Did You Make on Black Friday?

• I purchased a MacBook Air 13"

Votes: 32 35.2%
  • I purchased other technology items

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • I purchased other non-technology items

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • What's Black Friday?

Votes: 29 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
So did you take the plunge? Was $101 enough of a discount for you?

I already had my "ultimate 13" from MacMall's Apple Insider promo at a similar price to Apple's Black Friday sale, but that didn't stop me from hitting up the Apple Store online today. I purchased a 16GB 3G iPad and accessories as a gift.

I also snared a refurbished 128GB SSD from Crucial.com for $128 that I'll use as a secondary/backup drive through a USB 2.0 enclosure (hopefully the next MacBook Air has LightPeak or USB 3.0 so we can get the external speeds we deserve). It took a long time to get through the site at 9:00AM MST when the promo started, but it was worth it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I didn't buy any Mac products. I purchased some presents for the family, but that's about it.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
While 101 dollars is nothing to left at, most of us already get discounts thru our employers. The student also gets discount on MBA as well. The students are getting 50 dollars off.

Bottom line, Apple black Friday deal was nothing special. You could always get these kind of discounts thru macmall, mac connection or amazon.

Thunderbird1

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2006
Hurray! MacMall!!

What a great place to shop! The agent for MacMall was very friendly and helpful. She matched Apple and beat them for a better price. MacBook Air 13 ultimate for 1698!! What a deal!!! They get all my business from now on.
The government tax thugs did not get part of this one! Down with any kind of tax. Taxes destroy society and the economy more than almost anything else.

Macbook Air 13.3 Ultimate, Macbook Pro unibody 17" - i7 2010, 15" 2008, 13" 2.54 2009, TC 1 TB & 2 TB, Apple TV 160 GB, 5 - iphone 4 32gb, iPad 64gb 3g and 32gb wifi, 22" 2001 Apple Cinema Display & 24" Apple Cinema Display.

Last edited:

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
While 101 dollars is nothing to left at, most of us already get discounts thru our employers.].

wat.jpg

Glaxx

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
Illinois
I actually bought mine last week.. called today and got them to refund the difference between today's price. Gotta love Apple on something like that. :cool:

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
-fixed mother dryer (somehow she put cloth down lint trap...tear apart...fish out cloth...2 hours of pure fun errrr)

-tryed to fix sisters evil epia mini computer (only way to get to boot into xp is to first del into bios then restart...wierd)

-bought myself nothing :-(

sitting back on a my ibook reading macrumors forums....ahhh bliss

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
While 101 dollars is nothing to left at, most of us already get discounts thru our employers. The student also gets discount on MBA as well. The students are getting 50 dollars off.

Bottom line, Apple black Friday deal was nothing special. You could always get these kind of discounts thru macmall, mac connection or amazon.

Not for number of built to order systems.

navanod

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
Not for number of built to order systems.

MacMall, MacConnection and Amazon no, but employer and student discounts yes. I bought mine 5 minutes after the store was up and running through my employee discount site! 11.6 "ultimate!

tony-0709

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2008
ordered maxed out macbook air 13" 2.13ghz 4gb ram etc.

Takes 3 working days to ship,
and will arrive around friday next week, or following tuesday...

Soooo long!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I feel like Apple needs to take a different approach to BF. Why discount a bunch of Macs by $101 that are meant for the Pro audience? Seriously, consumers target BF, so why not discount consumer products more heavily and leave the Pros untouched?

I feel like Apple should have discounted the MacBook by $250 for five hours online or in the store. I feel they should have discounted the iPad by $125. I feel they should have discounted the iPod Touch by 25% each.

These types of discounts would mean they make a little less margin on each sold, but they would spur real talk about Apple and their products. We all know the iPad is going to be updated in a few months, so why not discount the crap out of them one day for five hours to really spur some cheap supply driving more demand and getting some free press about the huge discounts. Every consumer that wants one hears about it after the fact and goes ahead and buys anyways because there was more hype.

I just don't see the point in discounting pro products and leaving consumer products untouched without a discount and other consumer products with such minor discounts that there's no talk about Apple at all.

Did anyone else see how all of these Apple resellers get around iPod Touch discounts? They offer $50 or $70 gift cards for people who buy the expensive iPods. It works great for the store and creates a loophole actually spurring sales of Apple products for the holidays. I know Apple may not "need" to do anything, but it creates goodwill with customers and spurs sales that would possibly not otherwise happened. Apple needs to reduce the barrier to affordability for some of their consumer products even if it's just one day of the year.

epoche

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
Prepared fornshipment

I ordered 13" Ultimate Friday from Apple. Still says "Prepared for Shipment"...Delivers November 30th to December 6th.

Shipped from China this morning. Will receive Thursday the 4th.

Last edited:

sam67uk

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Northern Ireland
Bought a 13.3" 4GB/2.13/256SSD at the Apple Store in Belfast. My Government discount was actually £10 more than the Black Friday Deal.

Lovely machine and very fast :) Unfortunately the build of iLife 11 on the usb restore key is faulty and after 4 failed attempts I had to create a disk image from the retail disk and install that way. :eek:

threeputt

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Bought a 13.3" 4GB/2.13/256SSD at the Apple Store in Belfast. My Government discount was actually £10 more than the Black Friday Deal.

Lovely machine and very fast :) Unfortunately the build of iLife 11 on the usb restore key is faulty and after 4 failed attempts I had to create a disk image from the retail disk and install that way. :eek:

When I picked up my MBA ultimate on Friday, all the iLife 11 was already installed. Had to do a quick update on iPhoto but other than that things are running smoothly.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Purchased on MBA 11". Should be on the poll even though it didn't have a discount.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Purchased on MBA 11". Should be on the poll even though it didn't have a discount.

My main intent was to gauge whether the $101 discount on the 13" enticed anyone to buy it. If you are voting, I'd put your purchase on the "other technology items" choice.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
I did one better. Went to BEst Buy and got the MBP 13" with $125 gift card and bought other stuff I needed. :)

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I had the money to spend on an Air, and I was long since set on getting one. My purchase of the 13" Air was more of a coincidence that it should happen around close to Black Friday. On the other hand, goverment work, so my discount was actually better than Black Friday's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.