PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Kids' iMac display issue!

sigamy
Jan 20, 2005, 09:36 AM
We have an iMac DV that just started acting up. During boot the monitor is fine--displays colors and good resolution. But once the OS is loaded the screen is sort of black & white. I've check the contrast and brightness, changed resolutions and color depth, nothing has worked. It is almost like a reverse negative image. No colors, just black and white. Is this a hardware issue or software setting? Again, the monitor is fine when OS X is loading.

This iMac has been working fine for years. It was working fine when my kids were playing a game, then the next day the display went crazy. Could my kids have pressed a few buttons or something?

This is a G3 CRT iMac DV running Panther.

robbieduncan
Jan 20, 2005, 09:52 AM
Could be high contrast mode. Open System Preferences and check in the Accessability pane.

jsw
Jan 20, 2005, 09:58 AM
Try pressing control-option-⌘-8 (while holding down the first three, press '8'). That'll toggle between the two visibility modes.

TLRedhawke
Jan 20, 2005, 10:41 AM
You can also access the negative image setting under Universal Access in the System Preferences (Set Picture to White on Black). It's actually a very common thing to hit on desktop keyboards, because the 8 key on a number pad is close to the eject key. The Ctrl-Alt-Cmd-Eject sequence is used to turn the machine off. One little finger slip can cause the display colours to go screwy.

jsw
Jan 20, 2005, 10:50 AM
because the 8 key on a number pad is close to the eject key.
The key combo only works for me with the '8' above the letter keys, not on the keypad.