PDA

View Full Version : Any PM G5 owners with more than 8GB RAM?

combatcolin
Jan 20, 2005, 09:57 AM
Just wondered if anyone has the money/need for ultimate Big Boy status!!!

If so, how much did it cost you?

Jo-Kun
Jan 20, 2005, 12:08 PM
more than 8gb?? how will you pull that one??

anyway if someone has outmaxed upto 8gb, i hope they didn't got the ram at apple... for the pricedifference with other stores you can throw in an extra laptop or so :p

J

psycho bob
Jan 20, 2005, 01:27 PM
Well it can and has been done now that 2Gb+ RAM modules are available. One of the French mac sites reported it not that long afer the release of the G5 if memory serves. As for price I guess that depends on where you go to buy the modules. Do a google search for the article.

QCassidy352
Jan 20, 2005, 01:36 PM
so the max would now be... 16GB?? :eek:

TyleRomeo
Jan 20, 2005, 01:51 PM
yup

Lord Blackadder
Jan 20, 2005, 02:34 PM
I've yet to read about 8GB of RAM having more than a nominal positive effect on performance over 4GB, so for now there really is no point in exceeding 8GB at all, and not even 4GB in 90%+ applications.

Still, some day when the G5 is long in the tooth you'll be happy you have all those slots...

neoelectronaut
Jan 20, 2005, 02:47 PM
yup

Aren't 4GB modules available yet?

4GB x 8...hmm.

PlaceofDis
Jan 20, 2005, 02:51 PM
i think the limit is 8 gig per processor, so 16gigs of ram would be the limit you could put in there, but it is pointless and a waste at this point if you ask me though

wordmunger
Jan 20, 2005, 02:53 PM
I do remember reading an article about a group of researchers that regularly maxes out their Macs to 8GB. I can't remember anything else, but I recall they were doing some serious number crunching. And yes, it does make a difference.

maya
Jan 20, 2005, 02:58 PM
8GB or 16GB of ram. :eek:

Talk about having my video, music, and 3D projects open and rendering all at the same time. ;) :) :D

Hodapp
Jan 20, 2005, 03:36 PM
I've got 4GB... I've never seen the need to upgrade to more.

javabear90
Jan 20, 2005, 04:24 PM
So, if you had 16gb or even 8gb of ram, couldnt you just load your entire hdd minus music and stuff onto the ram. That would make your system go really fast.

maya
Jan 20, 2005, 04:28 PM
So, if you had 16gb or even 8gb of ram, couldnt you just load your entire hdd minus music and stuff onto the ram. That would make your system go really fast.

ONE DAY, Ram will either exceed HDD in space or HDD will be replaced with data on crystal technology which is faster than ram and can hold more data with no errors. :eek: ;) :)

:: I have to stop dreaming of the future :: :)

Mechcozmo
Jan 20, 2005, 04:42 PM
I read something on the G5 having memory controllers that could support 16 GB of RAM, and because the Xserves share the memory controllers with their desktop counterparts, they both can support 16GB of RAM.

Cool, eh?

Timelessblur
Jan 20, 2005, 05:05 PM

That is assuming the slot can support to 2gigs of ram which I do not beleive so no it can not.

maya
Jan 20, 2005, 06:52 PM
That is assuming the slot can support to 2gigs of ram which I do not beleive so no it can not.

Unless Apple has locked it and can unlock the limit via a firmware update. ;) :)

Its is not brain surgery, its only the USUAL Apple hardware limit. ;) :p :)

psycho bob
Jan 20, 2005, 07:59 PM

Looking through the original developer doc for the G5 it does state future compatibility with forth coming 2GB modules so it looks like it does.

combatcolin
Jan 21, 2005, 01:10 PM
Nobody has more than 8GB then?

Give it time....

...and some Tiger apps :D

Spock
Jan 21, 2005, 01:21 PM
ONE DAY, Ram will either exceed HDD in space or HDD will be replaced with data on crystal technology which is faster than ram and can hold more data with no errors. :eek: ;) :)

:: I have to stop dreaming of the future :: :)

Bio-neural Gel packs built into an ODN would work more efficient

Sun Baked
Jan 21, 2005, 01:29 PM
i think the limit is 8 gig per processor, so 16gigs of ram would be the limit you could put in there, but it is pointless and a waste at this point if you ask me thoughHuh...

It's all one chunk of memory shared by two CPUs, not memory that is attached to a CPU. Each processor has to request memory from the Memory Controller's single chuck of memory.

And we don't know what the limit of that is, yet.

Since Apple doesn't publish the specs of that, and I don't have an account at IBM to download specs on their PPC memory controller.

Or are you talking about the AMD chips which actually hang memory off the CPU.

Jo-Kun
Jan 21, 2005, 01:29 PM
well combatcolin, buy your 16Gig and tell us all about you had no significant speedincrease when surpassing the 4GB ;-)

I think 16Gig might a difference for a server in a large workgroup where everybody boots trough the network and use programs from the server, or use it simultaniously to let the server do folder actions as they did in the firm I used to work, because when we all did put a lot of images in that folder at the same time, we could take a coffebreak together, come back and see wich files wre processed allready & have another coffee with the people who were still waiting ;-)

but I think it will not make a big difference unless you have a lot of applications running at the same time and working with big files...?

wordmunger
Jan 21, 2005, 01:47 PM
but I think it will not make a big difference unless you have a lot of applications running at the same time and working with big files...?
I think it will not make a big difference unless you have a lot of applications running at the same time OR you're working with big files

Jo-Kun
Jan 21, 2005, 01:59 PM
yes thats what I meant, but my typing was too fast & Dutch is my main language ;-) nobody is perfect you see

maya
Jan 21, 2005, 02:25 PM
Bio-neural Gel packs built into an ODN would work more efficient

I hope we are not entering the MaTriX. ;) :)

mrgreen4242
Jan 21, 2005, 02:32 PM
The only thing I can see 16gb being usefull for is creating a 8gb ram disk and copying all of OS X over to it, along with whatever applications you use frequently. That'd probably be pretty quick, but I still don't see the need? :confused:

Jo-Kun
Jan 21, 2005, 02:53 PM
The only thing I can see 16gb being usefull for is creating a 8gb ram disk and copying all of OS X over to it, along with whatever applications you use frequently. That'd probably be pretty quick, but I still don't see the need? :confused:

the need to bragg I guess should be considered :p and in the mean time let's get the G5 tower encrusted by swarovski chrystal... and get a bumpersticker saying: I have 8 or even 16GB in my G5 and you??
and do get special attention in the restaurant because you are important since you have that much ram to fiddle around with... I see the babes fighting for me allready: I want the guy with 8GB, no I want... could get ugly, hahaah.

combatcolin
Jan 27, 2005, 05:23 AM
well combatcolin, buy your 16Gig and tell us all about you had no significant speedincrease when surpassing the 4GB ;-)

I think 16Gig might a difference for a server in a large workgroup where everybody boots trough the network and use programs from the server, or use it simultaniously to let the server do folder actions as they did in the firm I used to work, because when we all did put a lot of images in that folder at the same time, we could take a coffebreak together, come back and see wich files wre processed allready & have another coffee with the people who were still waiting ;-)

Don't really think that 16GB will fit in my 1st gen iMac. :eek:
Didn't actually say that i had a G5 PM. ;)

Jo-Kun
Jan 27, 2005, 05:27 AM
Don't really think that 16GB will fit in my 1st gen iMac. :eek:
Didn't actually say that i had a G5 PM. ;)

I know ;)

just buy 16GB ram and tape it to your monitor :p hihi just kidding ;)

so why so curious about people having this much ram if you don't have a PM G5, its not like you are looking for good reviews to 'up' your PM G5...

there is nothing wrong with being curious, I'm like that too :p I tested a friends PM G5 on a few occasions before I bought my own ;)

combatcolin
Jan 28, 2005, 05:06 AM
Just Curious thats all.

Not so long ago 16GB, hell even 8GB RAM was supercomputer country.
Anyway, thought someone somewhere
would have maxed it to 16GB.