PDA

View Full Version : RadioShack Offering iPhone 4 for $150, $25 With 3GS Trade-In

MacRumors
Dec 6, 2010, 03:40 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/12/06/radioshack-offering-iphone-4-for-150-25-with-3gs-trade-in/)

Late last week, RadioShack announced (http://www.facebook.com/notes/radioshack/great-savings-on-iphones-at-the-shack-iphone-4-now-14999-124-1211/10150335279855542) temporary discounts on the iPhone, knocking $50 off the price of the all three models: 8 GB iPhone 3GS and 16 GB and 32 GB iPhone 4. The deal, which runs through December 11th, brings the price of the 16 GB iPhone 4 to $149.99 and the 32 GB model to $249.99 for new and upgrade-eligible customers.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/12/06/163941-radioshack_iphone_sale.jpg

On top of the discounted prices, RadioShack also offers guaranteed trade-in prices for iPhone 3G and 3GS handsets, provided that the devices are in good working in order with no damage. RadioShack offers $75 for iPhone 3G models and $125 for iPhone 3GS models, meaning that current iPhone 3GS owners can now trade up to a 16 GB iPhone 4 for only $24.99.

Article Link: RadioShack Offering iPhone 4 for $150, $25 With 3GS Trade-In (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/12/06/radioshack-offering-iphone-4-for-150-25-with-3gs-trade-in/)

SkippyThorson
Dec 6, 2010, 04:04 PM
That's a remarkable deal. The only problem is I still can't get one of my old 2Gs off my hands. :p

Amazing Iceman
Dec 6, 2010, 04:11 PM
That's a remarkable deal. The only problem is I still can't get one of my old 2Gs off my hands. :p

2G? Just keep it. It will become a 'classic' in a few years. A great piece of conversation and even a slim paperweight.

I'm also wondering if they are only offering the 8GB for a low price and not the higher capacity models (?).

redcupr
Dec 6, 2010, 04:56 PM
Very nice, looks like I'll finally upgrade from my 3G to an iPhone 4 for $75. :)

I just need to find a store that has some...

prj for mac
Dec 6, 2010, 05:26 PM
You can upgrade, if eligible through AT&T, by trading in your current 3Gs iPhone for a new iPhone 4 for only $25 (after all the discounts)! But, they also add tax. Not the sales tax of the $25 discounted iPhone, but the sales tax of the iPhone's retail price, which is $599. That's $58.40 (9.75% in my area). So the bottom line is that, if you're eligible, you can get the 16GB iPhone 4, by trading in your 3Gs (in good condition), with a new two-year contract, for about $83. Still a pretty good deal. Just wish some of these news reports would mention this tax of the retail price they're including. It's good to know the WHOLE truth on so-called "good deals".

darkslayer13
Dec 6, 2010, 05:30 PM
About 4 months ago the upgrade deal was trading up from 3GS to iPhone4 would cost you only $16. This seems like their promoting a worse deal because people didnt hear about the original amazing deal....Way to go RadioHACK.

redcupr
Dec 6, 2010, 05:38 PM
You can upgrade, if eligible through AT&T, by trading in your current 3Gs iPhone for a new iPhone 4 for only $25 (after all the discounts)! But, they also add tax. Not the sales tax of the $25 discounted iPhone, but the sales tax of the iPhone's retail price, which is $599. That's $58.40 (9.75% in my area). So the bottom line is that, if you're eligible, you can get the 16GB iPhone 4, by trading in your 3Gs (in good condition), with a new two-year contract, for about $83. Still a pretty good deal. Just wish some of these news reports would mention this tax of the retail price they're including. It's good to know the WHOLE truth on so-called "good deals".

Fortunately here is Washington State we only get charged sales tax (9.5%) on the difference (doesn't matter what the retail price is). One of the few benefits to our tax system here.

spencers
Dec 6, 2010, 06:01 PM

Only in California...

MSD401
Dec 6, 2010, 06:57 PM
Only in California...

And rhode island...

wizzlez
Dec 6, 2010, 08:52 PM

Just to clarify, do you have to sign a new contract? Mine ends in June so I'd rather wait for the new one and switch off AT&T than sign a new deal now.

mrfoof82
Dec 6, 2010, 10:36 PM
Unsurprising on the trade-in deal -- considering I was able to sell my 32GB launch-day 3GS on eBay with a $350 BIN in under 2 hours... 2 months after the iPhone 4s release. Not an out-of-country sale either. Sold to a guy in California that bought it for his girlfriend. No idea if he had intended to unlock it or jailbreak it, but looking at completed listings shows that this was a fairly common price point at the time.

$125 is selling yourself short. It still has to be trivial to get $200 for the thing on eBay. $300 I'm assuming is still cake.

1080p
Dec 6, 2010, 10:39 PM
Lets see...

$125 credit for trading in a 3GS at Radio Shack or sell it on craigslist for $350.

Hmm... tough decision.

Surely
Dec 6, 2010, 10:41 PM
I sold my 32GB locked 3GS at the end of July on Craigslist for $400.

I'm sure that close to $300 is still possible for a 3GS.......

I guess that the Radioshack deal is a good one if you don't care how much you get but just want to get something, and if you don't have the time to deal on Craigslist or eBay.

TheMacBookPro
Dec 7, 2010, 03:06 AM
You'd have to be mental to sell your iPhone (either 3G or (S) ) to Radioshack. Craigslist will easily net you twice what RS are offering. Put up a listing and you'll get offers flowing in within 10 minutes.

pmz
Dec 7, 2010, 08:43 AM
All of you whining about this deal being "crazy" completely miss the fact that this is a "any-consumer-walk-in" deal, that gets you from old gen to new gen for $25 in about 15 minutes. (Not even Apple provides such a service, which they 100% absolutely should)

Selling on CL or Ebay is completely different from this, considering the excessive delays of funds tranfers, shipping, etc. not even to mention the choice between not having a phone for a while, or having to pay full price out of pocket way in advance.

mrbrown
Dec 7, 2010, 05:12 PM
My upgrade date isn't until early March, and I've been a customer since the "AT&T Blue" days (2003ish). I really wanted to take advantage of this deal, but it seems nobody at AT&T wants to assist me in getting my upgrade date pushed up...

They won't even send me to the retentions department when I threaten to cancel (and point out that it's actually cheaper for me to do that & buy the discounted phone than it is to pay their "early upgrade" pricing).

Anybody have any ideas?

jm55
Dec 8, 2010, 07:20 PM
I was told by a Radio Shack person over the phone that you have to buy apple care to get this deal which is $50. So the discount is really not a discount. Have others had the same experience? Isn't that kind of bate and switch?

THE JUICEMAN
Dec 8, 2010, 07:49 PM
ALMOST jumped on this deal and sold my iPhone 3G and Evo 4G on ebay. But then I remembered how bad AT&T sucks in my house and thought better to just wait for the mythical Verizon iPhone. January 6th can't come soon enough. They better announce it....dammit. :cool:

lukecro
Dec 9, 2010, 10:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

My upgrade date isn't until early March, and I've been a customer since the "AT&T Blue" days (2003ish). I really wanted to take advantage of this deal, but it seems nobody at AT&T wants to assist me in getting my upgrade date pushed up...

They won't even send me to the retentions department when I threaten to cancel (and point out that it's actually cheaper for me to do that & buy the discounted phone than it is to pay their "early upgrade" pricing).

Anybody have any ideas?

*I had a similar problem with AT&T a few years ago. They must get a lot of people bluffing about quitting. But after they refused to give me a better deal (I'd been a customer for a couple of years, my contract was up, the renewal offer they wanted me to take was crappy compared to offers available to new users) I actually quit. No bluff. So guess what happens a few weeks later? An AT&T retention rep calls me up and offers me like 3 different options if I'll come back to AT&T - all much better deals than I was originally asking for. The problem was that by then I'd already switched to T-Mobile. T-Mobile customer service was much better, but after a couple years I had to go back to AT&T because I wanted a new iPhone :)

Once AT&T loses their lock on iPhones, I bet they'll step up their retention efforts. But regardless, the best way to force a deal from a phone company is to actually quit the company, so they know you're serious; just be prepared to be without a phone for a few weeks if you really want to force the best deal out of them.

Personally, although I'll be eligible for an upgrade soon, I'm just going to wait till next summer, so I can upgrade to the iPhone 5. Plus, by then we might have more carrier options too, and AT&T might be offering some great deals to keep us from going to the Verizon iPhone.

charlituna
Dec 9, 2010, 11:44 AM
Just to clarify, do you have to sign a new contract?

yes. If you want the cheap prices, which are based on you qualifying for the $199 price, signing a new contract etc

holbrookjl
Dec 9, 2010, 12:29 PM
i don't think anyone has brought up the fact that it's "as much as" pricing. unless your phone is in pristine condition you'll never see the full turn in pricing. don't be fooled. my wife talked to a local shop that gave someone $7 for theirs. good luck getting the full $150.

lavrishevo
Dec 10, 2010, 08:36 AM
Not sure if this has been covered already, but with trade-in of a 3GS and a new contract you can get a iPhone 4 for $25.00 Not a bad deal.

Quote from Yahoo:

"First, you'll obviously need to sign up for a new or renewed contract, and as with most carriers, current AT&T customers are only eligible for a phone upgrade every two years. Second, you'll need to trade in your old iPhone to get store credit on the phone. For an iPhone 3GS in good condition you'll get $125 in credit; for the standard iPhone 3G, you'll get $75.

When this trade-in deal is combined with the $50 RadioShack is taking off all current iPhone models for this week only, it's possible to get the 16GB iPhone 4 for $25. If you want the 32GB model, normally priced at $299, you can get it for $125 with the trade-in."

aneftp
Dec 10, 2010, 10:43 AM
Good deal for people who don't want t hassle with reselling on craigslist.

However u can easily get $250 for used 16gb 3GS. An $300-350 for used 32GB 3GS without any hassle of all

Of course their are guys trying to sell 16gb 3GS used for $350 on craigslist but unless they have warranty, you can get better prices as a buyer.

pbateman
Dec 10, 2010, 11:19 AM
Anyone know if they will they do 'add-a line' as well or do I have to go to an AT&T store for that?

djransom
Dec 10, 2010, 12:01 PM
Anyone know if they will they do 'add-a line' as well or do I have to go to an AT&T store for that?

They will add a line as well.

pbateman
Dec 10, 2010, 12:56 PM
Cool thanks!

blueprint1983
Dec 10, 2010, 04:07 PM
I like the deal but it's not without it's extra costs:

-Two year re-commitment to At&t.
-Repurchasing a new Applecare or Squaretrade warranty since you can't transfer Applecare for upgraded devices.

Also, is there an early upgrade fee from AT&T if you do it through Radioshack (shouldn't be since it's a 3rd party?)

Oman
Dec 10, 2010, 06:51 PM
All the Radio Shacks in Houston are out of iPhones. How is that even possible. I even checked the surrounding cities and they to were out.

petecruice
Dec 10, 2010, 07:36 PM
Just did this today, cost me $25 after my trade in of my 32G 3GS. You however need to sign up for another 2yr contract. Great deal except for the contract extension.

petecruice
Dec 10, 2010, 07:37 PM
All the Radio Shacks in Houston are out of iPhones. How is that even possible. I even checked the surrounding cities and they to were out.

The radioshack I got mine from had to order one from Vermont

blueprint1983
Dec 10, 2010, 07:48 PM
Just did this today, cost me $25 after my trade in of my 32G 3GS. You however need to sign up for another 2yr contract. Great deal except for the contract extension.

don't forget that you have to rebuy your applecare/squaretrade warranty.

nsbe1
Dec 11, 2010, 11:47 AM
i've been calling a few stores for the past week since i saw this sale,
they haven't been in stock. they haven't gotten shipments of iP4's.
seems like a ploy to get people into their stores.

TheMacBookPro
Dec 12, 2010, 04:44 AM

For what? "Mm, since they don't have the iPhone I want, I think I'm going to buy a fuse while I'm here!"

Have you considered that perhaps other people (people who prefer $150 over $300, but still, people) have heard about and used this offer as well? Or perhaps Radio Shack's distribution center is having a shortage?

charlituna
Dec 12, 2010, 06:42 PM

most definitely.

PopCulture
Jan 13, 2011, 02:30 PM
Wow! I would see this when the sale is almost over! This would have been great since my contract won't allow me to get a new iphone via ATT.

Applephile
Feb 12, 2011, 06:40 PM
So let me clarify with my story. First of all, if ones contract isn't up yet, you will pay the higher price for the new phone, but my contract expired on January 14th so I went down after going on line to the Radio Shack site that showed me that my pristine 16GB 3Gs was worth 160.94 as a trade in towards the Iphone4. http://radioshack.cexchange.com/online/Home/ManufacturerSelected.rails?pcat=2&man=40

I was obviously flabbergasted so I called my local Radio Shack and challenged the guy to confirm this for me which he did assuming my phone was in the condition I said it was. I immediately went down there and did the deal.

The way it worked was I had to wait for the 32GB 4 to be shipped overnight to my home. But by turning in my phone that night, I received the 160.00 gift card which I applied toward the sale, paid the difference and completed the deal for an out of pocket 140.00 for the 32 GB Iphone 4 which sells for 299.00. I also purchased a throw away phone for 19.99 which Radio Shack took back the next day when I returned it to them.

Now, regarding the new customer care which isn't transferable to the new phone; this is true, but Apple rebated me the prorated value of my 3Gs customer care package which had 206 days left on it. So the actual cost of my new customer care package was offset.

What blew my mind at the time was the 16GB 3Gs was advertised on Apple and AT&Ts web sites for only 99.00. I still can't figure out how RS can do this deal and make a profit but hey, if your contract is up and you're staying with AT&T, get down there before this deal ends.

I also kept my "GRANDFATHERED IN" unlimited data plan as promised, and have read that Verizon is going to limit the data feed speed to the top 5% of iPhone4 data users which I think is a reprehensible betrayal by a company that claims to be able to serve all of its customers data transfer needs.

charlituna
Feb 13, 2011, 02:44 PM
What blew my mind at the time was the 16GB 3Gs was advertised on Apple and AT&Ts web sites for only 99.00.

As a refurb perhaps. But the $99 you see as a new unit on Apple and ATT is an 8gb not a 16

have read that Verizon is going to limit the data feed speed to the top 5% of iPhone4 data users which I think is a reprehensible betrayal by a company that claims to be able to serve all of its customers data transfer needs.

No you read that Verizon announced that they might have to down throttle speeds for very heavy users, which would be perhaps the top 5% of users. In order to ensure that ALL users are able to use data services. They have actually done their users a service because those that are light users won't be blocked by traffic causes by folks tethering to pull down BR rips off bit torrent and those that might pull such moves will know that they are better off doing it on wifi where their speeds won't be messed with

Applephile
Feb 13, 2011, 07:08 PM
As a refurb perhaps. But the $99 you see as a new unit on Apple and ATT is an 8gb not a 16

Read my post again, I was dealing with pricing from January 14th when I did my deal. Today the 8GB 3Gs is only 49.00, the 16GB is also 49.00 and the 32GB is 99.00. But that isn't how it was on January 14th when I bought my 4.

shree
Feb 13, 2011, 09:25 PM
Its 2G? Just keep it. It will become a 'classic' in a few years.i will finally upgrade my 3gb to iphone 4 .thanks

http://www.BestOnlinePaydayLoan.com