Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reebs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Got the case today. First impressions...

Great look. This is one good-looking case. It is grey not silver, in the light it looks kinda silver even with some pictures I took with flash. That's probably what happened in case-mate's video.

Great fit, slight weight cause it's aluminum but very sturdy. Feels great in the hand!

Buttons press very easily, great feel and feedback! I compare those buttons to the feel on the apple bumper but sturdier and better, not flimsy at all.

Here's the biggee...Initial tests on reception. I usually have 3 to 4 bars of reception inside my house, mostly 3. Now I'm seeing usually 3 sometimes 2. I have not tested for dropped calls cause that's really what matters, doesn't really matter how many bars there are just as long as my calls are not dropping! I'll update as I use the phone.

Attachments

• rsz_dscn2532.jpg
    rsz_dscn2532.jpg
    863.1 KB · Views: 628
  • rsz_dscn2533.jpg
    rsz_dscn2533.jpg
    851 KB · Views: 493
  • rsz_dscn2534.jpg
    rsz_dscn2534.jpg
    923.5 KB · Views: 409
  • rsz_dscn2535.jpg
    rsz_dscn2535.jpg
    903.6 KB · Views: 395
  • rsz_dscn2539.jpg
    rsz_dscn2539.jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 484

reebs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
More pics :)

Attachments

• rsz_dscn2541.jpg
    rsz_dscn2541.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 433
  • rsz_dscn2543.jpg
    rsz_dscn2543.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 401
  • rsz_dscn2546.jpg
    rsz_dscn2546.jpg
    709.3 KB · Views: 428

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Looks nice. Can't wait for mine to come. Wish they wouldn't have put such a big logo on the side of the case. Oh well.

kaikai830

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2010
Very nice!!! I just placed an order for the same one but hoping it was more of a silver color but anyway gray looks very nice too.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I put this in the other thread. I can't you believe you got the case on without breaking it as the plastic that holds the two pieces on the top portion are very flimsy.

Anyway...

Ok. Got my case this afternoon. Pictures will be below. I only have my phone as a camera so there is none with the case on but I couldn't get it on since it broke. More on that in a moment.

First off it is grey and not silver. Like a dark grey. The actual construction upon first impression is great. Feels solid and looks like an extension of the phone. Here's a bunch of the initial pictures before the bad thing happened.

Sorry the pictures are so big.

010.jpg

014.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

Ok, here's the issue, there are no instructions. The video makes it look simple so I followed the video. It's not. The black marks at the top and the side are actually very thin plastic grooves that slide the 2 pieces of the top half together. I didn't know that and they So guess what happened. One of them broke as I tried to snap the top and bottom together.

020.jpg

021.jpg

So while the metal portions, including the buttons are well made, the 2 small plastic clips the piece the 2 pieces of the top together are fragile as crap. Do not make the same mistake I did.

I believe you have to separate the top piece in order to get it to snap in right but I will have to wait until I get a replacement. Very disappointed in this case at it looked awesome.

Last edited:

reebs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
I really don't understand how that happened, I took the case on and off twice already and no problems whatsoever. You have to put on the case a certain way according to the instructions.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I really don't understand how that happened, I took the case on and off twice already and no problems whatsoever. You have to put on the case a certain way according to the instructions.

How big is the opening on the bottom? Will it fit 3rd party cases or at least the apple dock? That's one big complaint with my Atomic hybrid...it bugs me it won't fit in my dock. One reason I may go back to my Alumacase.

genetic

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
ugh...reception issues. for some reason i got my hopes up and thought this case would work. but of course......fail

reebs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
How big is the opening on the bottom? Will it fit 3rd party cases or at least the apple dock? That's one big complaint with my Atomic hybrid...it bugs me it won't fit in my dock. One reason I may go back to my Alumacase.

Don't think it will fit any other 3rd party dock chargers. Not much room left after putting on the apple one. Don't have the apple dock to check.

barachus

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the review and pictures, I ordered the grey hoping it would be more like silver :(

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
First Alumium Case and Possibly Last!

Just received my case today, I ordered both the gray and blue. This is my first aluminum case, and my first impressions are that it feels VERY solid, and has quite a bit of weight to it for a bumper. Unlike the SGP Neo Hybrid Ex, which was VERY flimsy and light, but overall was almost perfect IMO.

Installation: To me, this was quite difficult to install, if you don't have patience, be aware, this is quite a difficult task. The Sleep/wake button, ring/vibrate switch, and the volume buttons all have aluminum pieces that go over the Phones, buttons. I like the fact that they are all covered but it is quite a PAIN to have everything lined up perfectly then snap the top in because the cover up buttons tend to move. All the Buttons are very responsive by the way.

Pros/Cons: Gives a decent lay on the table design and I also love how the buttons are very responsive. Few things I hate are that the phone gets a bit heavier and a little bulkier over all, and I doubt quite a few third party accessories would work, the holes are pretty deep.

Reception: I feel like I don't have much of a problem with reception, maybe a slight 1 bar might be missing at times because I usually have full bars and I haven't seen full bars YET since I've had this case on. I'll try it more tomorrow outside through out the day.

Overall I feel like this is definitely a unique case, and I actually like it quite a bit as of now. I love how the case and buttons all flow together. I'd definitely recommend this case if anyone is on the edge of ordering one!

P.S. I didn't wanna spend another half an hour putting on the blue one and I loved the way the gray one looked so I didn't get to try the blue one out yet. I will post photos when I decide to use that one. One thing I wish they had was more of a color selection, I'd order black in a minute!

Now lets let the photos speak for themselves:

DSC03426.jpg

DSC03406.jpg

DSC03403.jpg

DSC03405.jpg

DSC03415.jpg

DSC03418.jpg

DSC03410.jpg

DSC03414.jpg

DSC03427.jpg

AND For the blue:

DSC03419.jpg

DSC03421.jpg

DSC03422.jpg

DSC03423.jpg

DSC03424.jpg

Last edited:

dayumitzmark

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
nice review man! im still waiting for mines. i dont think it has shipped yet. i ordered the gray one as well. i cant believe the green one sold out before the gray one. haha

Just received my case today, I ordered both the gray and blue. This is my first aluminum case, and my first impressions are that it feels VERY solid, and has quite a bit of weight to it for a bumper. Unlike the SGP Neo Hybrid Ex, which was VERY flimsy and light, but overall was almost perfect IMO.

Installation: To me, this was quite difficult to install, if you don't have patience, be aware, this is quite a difficult task. The Sleep/wake button, ring/vibrate switch, and the volume buttons all have aluminum pieces that go over the Phones, buttons. I like the fact that they are all covered but it is quite a PAIN to have everything lined up perfectly then snap the top in because the cover up buttons tend to move. All the Buttons are very responsive by the way.

Pros/Cons: Gives a decent lay on the table design and I also love how the buttons are very responsive. Few things I hate are that the phone gets a bit heavier and a little bulkier over all, and I doubt quite a few third party accessories would work, the holes are pretty deep.

Reception: I feel like I don't have much of a problem with reception, maybe a slight 1 bar might be missing at times because I usually have full bars and I haven't seen full bars YET since I've had this case on. I'll try it more tomorrow outside through out the day.

Overall I feel like this is definitely a unique case, and I actually like it quite a bit as of now. I love how the case and buttons all flow together. I'd definitely recommend this case if anyone is on the edge of ordering one!

P.S. I didn't wanna spend another half an hour putting on the blue one and I loved the way the gray one looked so I didn't get to try the blue one out yet. I will post photos when I decide to use that one. One thing I wish they had was more of a color selection, I'd order black in a minute!

Now lets let the photos speak for themselves:

DSC03426.jpg

DSC03406.jpg

DSC03403.jpg

DSC03405.jpg

DSC03415.jpg

DSC03418.jpg

DSC03410.jpg

DSC03414.jpg

DSC03427.jpg

AND For the blue:

DSC03419.jpg

DSC03421.jpg

DSC03422.jpg

DSC03423.jpg

DSC03424.jpg

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
nice review man! im still waiting for mines. i dont think it has shipped yet. i ordered the gray one as well. i cant believe the green one sold out before the gray one. haha

Thanks man. I don't even know if they had any green in stock to begin with, you'll definitely be happy with the gray though! :)

reebs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
@MeltdownBlitz nice pics! I myself was looking for a replacement for my SGP hybrid EX since my silicone tore. This is a solid, sturdy case and by no means lightweight! I actually had fun putting it together. Let's hope the search ends here. I also will update on reception.

enemi

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
England
Man, the blue is so sexy..
I'm thinking this might be the case for me.
Still awaiting further reviews on possible reception issues.. :D

peteisanidiot

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I expect a grey and red early this week. I think we need to see some speed test and field mode test numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.