Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papersushi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
CompUSA is selling brandnew G5 Dual 2GHz for $1498, its the previous model, which was the top of the line config. Compares with current Dual 2GHz, only thing is it has 4x DVD-R. Here is the config:

Power Mac G5 Minitower
Dual PowerPC G5 2GHz Processors
512MB RAM
160GB Hard Drive
4X DVD-R / 16X10X32 CD-RW SuperDrive
Manufacturer: Apple
Mfg Part #: M9032LL/A
Product Number: 305066
$1,499.98

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305066&pfp=BROWSE

papersushi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Just realized that its in-store pickup only and I can't find it anywhere has this one in stock. Anyone else has any lucky at your local CompUSA store?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
None in MI either... I would have driven accross the state for this deal (as soon as this freaking blizzard cleared up)!

Curious to see if anyone snags one of these...

Rob

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
Is there website down?

I cannot access compusa.com from any of my computers.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
All of them say minitower even the 2.5ghz for $3,000. Ive noticed how strange their prices have been on the PM's before. The 1.8 is $500 more than the 2.0. Just thought it was a screwup. Differences I see is the DVD write speeds, one has OS X--new OS X panther, old ATI RADEON 9600 Pro--new Nvidia 5200 ultra, old no garageband, old 4lbs lighter, old $1,000 cheaper.
Hell I can deal with that. None in stock around me though. Ill def. buy one if i can find it.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
Can someone check CT for me please zip 06035. Why won't the site work for me?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
EJBasile said:
Can someone check CT for me please zip 06035. Why won't the site work for me?

Nope. Like I said, none anywhere. I've checked about 10 major cities and none of them had any.

danmoo

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2005
Maryland
None in Maryland

Out of Stock in Maryland. But i'd have to wonder why it only writes DVDs at 4x speed? Apple.com says that their SuperDrives write at 8x speed. OH well for nearly $1000 dollars ($800 if you can get education discount) off the price- this isnt a bad deal! :) Maybe Apple will start cutting prices on their PM line? Soon? Soon? One can only hope :/

jbrjake

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2004
they're all out of stock?!

It's not just the cheap, old-model 2.0 that's out of stock.

CompUSA, apparently, has no on-line inventory of 2.5 or 2.0 GHz PMacs, though they do have the dual 1.8 and it's little single-cpu brother.

Things get more interesting when I check in-store. Of the 4 CompUSAs in the Tampa Bay area, none have any stock of the 2.5, 2.0, or single 1.8. One store in Bradenton has "limited quantities" of the dual 1.8.

Please let this mean what I want it to mean.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Yay i apear to have 5 store near me with them.

Wow according to the thing i appear to have 5 store with near me. I live in the Northern Virginia area and all these stores appear to be any from 7 to 18 miles away. To bad I am not in the market for a desktop, and I wish these could have been at stores near those of you who would want to take advantage of this. :D :rolleyes:

amoildani

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
has anyone actually succesfully found one? It searched online at my local stores and it says one of them has "limited quantities" but im not sure that means ALL powermacs, or that $1500 one in particular

motherfather

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2005
Austin, TX
amoildani said:
has anyone actually succesfully found one? It searched online at my local stores and it says one of them has "limited quantities" but im not sure that means ALL powermacs, or that $1500 one in particular

Supposedly the South Austin CompUSA had a couple as of Saturday but they were long gone by the time I could get down there on Sunday.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
Well, when the updates come for the PM, which is soon, this is prolly gonna happen again. That way anyone who wants one will be prepared to get them while they last. I know I am gonna try.

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Wouldn't be the first company to post an unbelievably good price and not have the stock to back it up :rolleyes:

It attracts interest; I think the idea is that maybe 1 out of 10 visitors will think, 'Oh, THAT'S not in stock, but THIS is for only a couple hundred dollars more! It's a deal!'

I guess I can see the logic.

andy.

zimtheinvader

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
the capitol
Whennnn, when will the PM update come?! In 4 days or 4 months... There appears to be a lot of speculation that it won't come until Tiger is released...which was also (formerly?) when the elusive PBG5 was slated to be intro'd. Still though, hopefully soon!!
Also, compusa has a had quite a few odd deals (qwerty clie, hdds, ect.) maybe this was at one time working...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.