Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
hey does anybody out there know how i can connect my mac up to a WINS server...everytime i try to connect to any PC running windows i get an error -36...and i have tried smb:// before the IP and/or computer name...

please help

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
If you're using Jaguar you should be able to browse any Windows machines on your network.

In 10.1.x try smb://computername/sharename

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
what i'm saying is that a friend of mine works in the labs here in the dorms and was trying to help me connect to a WINS (it's a windows server) because it's got all kinds of stuff on it...and in windows there is a server option to add a WINS server to connect to...and then when you go to connect to server...you can just type in the computer name and access the files..

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
You're not understanding me. 10.2 allows you to browse local Windows networks in the Connect to Server dialog box.

For instance, see "WORKGROUP" in the image below. This is the local Windows network, and you should be able to see any WINS servers on your local network there.

Attachments

• stuff2.gif
    stuff2.gif
    25.4 KB · Views: 117

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
I have a similar problem

I have Jaguar and it doesn't show my Win XP server in the Connect To Server dialog box. I've tried typing in the information about the Servername and the Share drive (I have several and tried them all).

Nothing worked.

I'm chalking it up to settings on my Win XP server -- it must be missing something... oh well.

Any thoughts on this woud be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Quark

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
Make sure you went through the Network Wizard.

Right click on your computer and choose properties.

In network identification you have to make sure your computer is ready to be recognized inside your network. It will ask you to name your pc and a few other questions.

After that reboot your PC and you should see your computer.

Make sure you share some folders so that you can access the data.

Another thing, you have to give yourself (username) permission on your PC.

Once you do that you should be able to login into your PC and view any files that are shared and/or if you have administrator rights you should see all your files.

Works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.