Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afiglee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
I have Mac OS X server 10.6.3 and I want to be able for different users to login simultaneously and use XCode each in their own windows session.
Any ideas how to do that?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Have you tried Fast User Switching? I can't say 100% if it's available on the server edition, but it would be in System Preferences > Accounts > Login Options.

afiglee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Thank you, guys.
Indded it seems that infrastracture for multiple simultaneous logins in place,
but need some tweaking.
Thanks for the pointing to fast user switching - will dig in this direction

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Thank you, guys.
Indded it seems that infrastracture for multiple simultaneous logins in place,
but need some tweaking.
Thanks for the pointing to fast user switching - will dig in this direction

Not graphical ones: Quartz basically only expects one active user at a time

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Fast User Switching hangs my server when it is running headless (which is all of the time). For some reason it needs a monitor connected for it to work. :(

What I view as unfortunate is that I have to keep it logged in in order for some services to keep working properly (scheduled backups with SuperDuper, DynamicDNS, I suspect Plex, and iTunes if I were to use it's server). So it isn't possible to use the server as a general user login on another account.

Of course some people will point out that a server shouldn't be used for user logins anyway for security and stability reasons.

You can always have multiple shell logins, using the ssh command.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.