Is there a annual charge?
If you have airport, do you like it?
Etc.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Jen :)

crazzyeddie
Jan 23, 2005, 08:13 PM
Well, Airport is just Apple's name for 802.11b. Airport Express is what Apple calls 802.11g. Its really just a wireless connection to your existing internet connection, so once you buy the hardware to set up that connection, you just have to keep paying for your regular ISP.

sjpetry
Jan 23, 2005, 08:20 PM
Well, Airport is just Apple's name for 802.11b. Airport Express is what Apple calls 802.11g. Its really just a wireless connection to your existing internet connection, so once you buy the hardware to set up that connection, you just have to keep paying for your regular ISP.

Get the 802.11g. :)

Jen5678
Jan 23, 2005, 08:39 PM
ok, thank you.

reh
Jan 23, 2005, 09:03 PM
Well, Airport is just Apple's name for 802.11b. Airport Extreme is what Apple calls 802.11g.
Fixed that for ya. :)

Phat_Pat
Jan 23, 2005, 09:10 PM
Fixed that for ya. :)
Airport Express is also a G. Just doesnt have any physical ports to plug your mac into. :)

reh
Jan 23, 2005, 09:19 PM
Airport Express is also a G. Just doesnt have any physical ports to plug your mac into. :)
Airport and Airport Extreme are wireless networking technologies. Airport Express is a hardware product. I didn't want the original comment I replied to to mislead the original poster.

jlewis2k1
Jan 23, 2005, 10:09 PM
the Aiport Extreme is really nice ... I have it for our network. I dont like to string wires all over the place. I have absolutely no complaints about the Airport. I would say if you chose to get an Airport I would recommend getting either Airport Extreme (50 users max) or Airport Express (10 users max).

Correct me if im wrong.

jsw
Jan 23, 2005, 10:26 PM
Hmmm... tell that to my old iMac which is now plugged into my AirPort Express via ethernet cable, using it as a bridge. ;)

Oh, and just to be clear (well, I think it was clear already, but just in case): there is no charge whatsoever for using a wireless network device - as long as its connecting to your own network. In that case, it's just replacing ethernet cabling with radio-based connections.

If, say, you go to Starbucks, you can pay for using their wireless network, which you access via your AirPort card. Many places offer wireless access for free, and some places charge for it. Rates vary.