PDA

View Full Version : Which iOS does latest ATV ship with?

dacapo
Dec 21, 2010, 09:51 AM
I'm finally catching on that jailbreaking the ATV2 and adding Plex might be a winner. But before I buy the ATV2, I guess I'd better make sure that it's iOS 4.1 or earlier?

What iOS version are the latest ATVs shipping with?

phu58
Dec 21, 2010, 09:52 AM
stripped down version of mac os x... i did a little more research online and found the exact version to be 10.4.7

dacapo
Dec 21, 2010, 09:59 AM
stripped down version of mac os x... i did a little more research online and found the exact version to be 10.4.7

:confused::confused:

I think you're talking about the original ATV?
I'm talking about the new ATV2. (The small black box.)
These ship with iOS, not OSX.

Cuzy
Dec 21, 2010, 10:06 AM
I purchased mine a couple of weeks ago and it came with 4.0. When I tried to jailbreak I found out that apple stopped signing the SHSH for that version so I had no luck with the jailbreak. The iPhone dev team has said that a jailbreak for 4.2.1 will be out within the week so we can jailbreak after that.

dacapo
Dec 21, 2010, 10:12 AM
I purchased mine a couple of weeks ago and it came with 4.0. When I tried to jailbreak I found out that apple stopped signing the SHSH for that version so I had no luck with the jailbreak. The iPhone dev team has said that a jailbreak for 4.2.1 will be out within the week so we can jailbreak after that.

Cool!

This being Christmas week, I was just thinking of pulling the trigger. But without that jailbreak, I really don't have much of a reason to get the ATV. :D

chenks
Dec 21, 2010, 10:21 AM
the current appletv software version is v4.1.1 and this is based on iOS 4.2.1.

Wheeler
Dec 21, 2010, 12:02 PM
the current appletv software version is v4.1.1 and this is based on iOS 4.2.1.

He is asking what is installed on the in-store units, not the current version.

Probably a mixed bag- but I would imagine most still have 4.0 on them, although as others have pointed out, doesn't matter anymore as no versions are JBreakable, un-teathered anyhow.

Hope you are correct about a new JB this week!

eRondeau
Dec 21, 2010, 02:42 PM
I ordered mine direct from Apple a week ago, it shipped from China the next day and arrived a couple of days later. It shipped with 4.1.0 installed; the 4.1.1 upgrade was posted while it was in transit. :apple:

carlcosby
Dec 21, 2010, 02:44 PM
Hope you are correct about a new JB this week!

Apparently christmas eve

nebo1ss
Dec 21, 2010, 02:49 PM

You don't need SHSH to jailbreak the ATV if it came with 4 you can jailbreak it. You need SHSH to restore to Firmware 4 from a newer firmware version.

Wheeler
Dec 21, 2010, 03:52 PM
You don't need SHSH to jailbreak the ATV if it came with 4 you can jailbreak it. You need SHSH to restore to Firmware 4 from a newer firmware version.

Nope, apple stopped signing 4.0 (ios 4.1) so you cant do custom restore

Currently no public way to do untethered JB on any version of aTV2, and I would be extremely happy to be proven wrong

dacapo
Dec 21, 2010, 04:11 PM
Nope, apple stopped signing 4.0 (ios 4.1) so you cant do custom restore

Currently no public way to do untethered JB on any version of aTV2, and I would be extremely happy to be proven wrong

Does it have to be untethered?