Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
theonenonlyjoey said:
so i think a magnet in a speaker fried my ipod...it's still under warranty...will the apple store give me a replacement?

Well, you can't be sure that the ipod died because of the magnet, in any case, it just died, sooooo, without any evidence that you damaged it, I'm sure Apple will replace it for you.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Just don't tell them that a magnet ruined the harddrive, as long as it is still under warrenty, they should replace it. I accidentally moved the magnet that came with my iSight across the harddrive on my laptop and it killed it in about 1 second. I called Apple and said my harddrive had just gone and they replaced it free of charge. ;)

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Although I've never done it before, wouldn't you just try to reformat the drive... oh nevermind I guess you need the iPod OS. :eek: Well if it wouldn't cause problems when you return it I'd reformat the drive and try to run the iPod updates on it. It's a long shot but you never know if it works till somebody tries. ;) :D

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Have you tried forceing the iPod into disc mode.

Toggle the on/off switch and then hold down Forward and Reverse for a few seconds.

I would have though that the iPod has a certain degree of magnetic shielding (sounding a bit trekkie there!!!) so unless it was a big electro magnet...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.