PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed by Apple service...

Sutekidane
Jan 26, 2005, 11:45 AM
Ok, I recently sent in my 15 inch 1.33ghz albook for having a hair stuck behind the lcd which I could easily see through the screen. Ok, today I got the powerbook back and they replaced the lcd with a new one with a bad pixel (which I'm ok with). What I'm not OK with is the fact that they scratched the casing all over the back of the screen where the apple logo. The computer was MINT before I sent it in.

To add insult to injury, this is about the 4th time I've sent a notebook to apple and had it damaged in the process of getting it repaired. I had a 500mhz ibook, and 2 12-inch powerbook g4s that had the same thing happen to. I call apple care this morning and end up speaking to customer relations. They tell me that they can either repair the casing (and risk getting more stuff damaged) or that I can live with the scratch and get a free 256mb ram upgrade. I basically tell them that the entire situation is ridiculous and that Its the only computer I can use for school and I use it on a daily basis, to no avail. I call my nearest apple store and their manager tells me to keep calling customer relations and not to take no for a answer. I call back and speak to another customer relations agent and basically makes the same offers.

I can't send the notebook back because my school work would suffer and because I have little confidence that they won't ruin something else so I had to accept the memory.

I'm so angry with Apple right now.

bousozoku
Jan 26, 2005, 11:50 AM
It's too bad. I've heard a few horror stories like yours. I'm guessing it's typical of a service group that's trying to rush things and customer service that has no real leverage to improve things.

Apple needs to do better, rather than merely be acceptable.

rdowns
Jan 26, 2005, 07:14 PM
Why not have the Apple Store do the repairs? Have customer relations send them the part(s) and call you when they are in stock. Should be without the system for a day at most.

Aldaris
Jan 27, 2005, 02:09 AM
That is truly a terrible story... how long have you had the 'Book in question... I personally would have also taken the memory upgrade vs. risk more damage to my 'Book... Hope your future experiences are better.

bigandy
Jan 27, 2005, 02:51 AM
i'm seemingly getting into the same problem.

i sent my 15" AlBook back because it had developed white dots on the screen. apple replaced the screen and sent the unit back within 48hrs, which i was really impressed with.

since that repair the hinge has been tighter than a scotsman on a rainy day, but i haven't been able to send it back until now because i use it all day, every day.

so it gets back to apple and they say "it's physical damage, we won't cover it". back and forth goes explination. "ok, we'll do it".

thinking all is ok now? sure wasn't. got a call on monday, the repair people saying they couldn't go ahead because the CS code (a special customer relations coding thing) had been stopped. the cs code can only be stopped by a handful of people. and i'm still waiting to hear back from one. basically if they call today then i hope to get everything sorted ok.

if they don't call, i'm so angry that i may use the only threat that seems to work to computer companies: an indictment, suing them. it works too. the last time we had to do it (i'm working for a solicitor's right now..) it was dell, and after 3 months of fannying about. the indictment got everything sorted within 24hours.

how can apple turn around like that and say that it's not covered under warranty? it WAS THEIR BLOODY FAULT!?!??!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

bigandy
Jan 27, 2005, 02:23 PM
not sure if anyone wants an update, but my situation seems to have been resolved. today i recieved a call (after a very nasty call from me to applecare) from the head of UK apple support. how nice. he grovelled to me and offered to give me a refund. for what? for the inconvenience. a 200 cheque will be winging its way to me. (he had offered ram first but i pointed out its already full)

oh yes.

it's back on saturday now. but i did voice my doubts about getting it back within that timescale.

we'll see!

a lot happier now!

Horrortaxi
Jan 27, 2005, 07:11 PM
It's annnoying that they scratched your computer, but they offered to fix it--then they offered you memory. They're trying to take care of you. That's a sign of good customer service.

KD7IWP
Jan 27, 2005, 07:30 PM
Hmmmmm... How would there be any more risk of damage by replacing the case? That seems ridiculous to me because if they were to damage something on the inside, well, they'd have to fix that too because it's under warranty. There shouldn't be the slightest problem at all.

bousozoku
Jan 27, 2005, 08:33 PM
Hmmmmm... How would there be any more risk of damage by replacing the case? That seems ridiculous to me because if they were to damage something on the inside, well, they'd have to fix that too because it's under warranty. There shouldn't be the slightest problem at all.

Considering how quickly they apparently rushed through the original repair, they probably would end up damaging the display or break something else. :D

This seems to go hand-in-hand with the complaints about them taking too much time and not sending units to a certain location for repairs recently.

Sutekidane
Jan 27, 2005, 08:41 PM
I think they should have offered the memory and a free repair of the damage they did. Giving me the memory isn't going to make up for the fact that they damaged my computer and it was the only feasible option for me to take. I explained my situation to them clearly and was denied any other options. I spoke with the applestore near me and they stated to bring the powerbook to them next time because they photograph and document the condition of the computer. I guess thats unlike the repair center in Texas it was sent to.

Sigh, still waiting for my 'free' memory to arrive.