PDA

View Full Version : HandBrake 0.9.5 released

dynaflash
Jan 3, 2011, 03:12 PM
Just released Handbrake 0.9.5 which among other things has an AppleTV 2 preset.

http://handbrake.fr/

Note: The appcast that triggers the auto updater from previous versions of HB has not been updated due to previous huge traffic issues, that will probably happen in the next day or two. However that said if you want it sooner just download it from the HB site and replace your old version with the new version.

Have fun.

Tilpots
Jan 3, 2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the heads up, dynaflash!

TwinCities Dan
Jan 3, 2011, 03:13 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the "heads up", dynaflash! :cool:

Tilpots
Jan 3, 2011, 03:48 PM
^^Way creepy!

I'm giving this a spin right now and a couple of things I've noticed right off the bat:

-I'm using this on an old Windows XP and the Snappy™-ness factor of this new version is way up.

-Instead of a pop-up command line screen giving details on the process, the main window now has a details and progress bar appear at the bottom. Looks much nicer and very functional.

-The ATV2 preset starts at 1280 width compared to the ATV's 960 default.

Right now, I'm making comparison videos of the ATV and ATV2 presets of a transcoded .avi file. Won't see the results until morning. I'm not expecting much of a difference, but wanted to look at visual quality and file size. I use handbrake to crunch video I've shot and post it to YT. I'm not an expert on any of it, which is why I love the quote on Handbbrake's page:

"The function of good software is to make the complex appear to be simple."

They've done that and more. Thanks again, Handbrake Project Peoples.

Squadleader
Jan 3, 2011, 03:50 PM
Just grabbed it...Thanks !!

newagemac
Jan 3, 2011, 04:05 PM
Handbrake is awesome and the new ATV 2 preset produces some beautiful HD encodes playable on both the new Apple TV2 and my iPhone 4. I've been using it ever since they added it to the nightly builds and its been making my PS3's Blu Ray drive quite lonely. :D I always get a little smile on my face when I Airplay this kind of quality straight from a little device in my hand to my 60" HDTV and especially when I did it at my friend's house on his ATV2.

Much props to the developers!

dynaflash
Jan 3, 2011, 05:00 PM
-The ATV2 preset starts at 1280 width compared to the ATV's 960 default.
Thats because the atv 2 can play 720p30 whereas the atv 1 can only play 720p24. So it made the preset much easier since it did not have to account for a 30fps source.

yetanotherdave
Jan 3, 2011, 05:20 PM
Awesome, I've been using this a lot since I got my ATV2 :D

I'm guessing we should still avoid updating VLC though?

bearcatrp
Jan 3, 2011, 05:21 PM
Does this replace the nightly build?

The Mad Hatter
Jan 3, 2011, 05:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Has anyone tried playing a ATV2 preset encoded movie on an ATV1 (using the 23.9 framerate)?

BlackMangoTree
Jan 3, 2011, 06:22 PM
The SSA subtitles burn in has too many issues to be useful, i feel it should of been left out of the stable release. Too many fonts over lap making it very hard to read and timing issues subs displaying the incorrect amount of time. Makes the feature pretty much useless.

Other than that great update.

johnryjr
Jan 3, 2011, 11:04 PM
I've been using a nightly build from a week or two ago to rip some dvds since I got an Apple TV 2 for Christmas. Is this about the same as the recent nightly builds? They wouldn't have changed any settings for the Apple TV 2 preset or anything would they? Just worried about stuff I ripped with the nightly and final version not being consistent.

dynaflash
Jan 3, 2011, 11:34 PM
I've been using a nightly build from a week or two ago to rip some dvds since I got an Apple TV 2 for Christmas. Is this about the same as the recent nightly builds? They wouldn't have changed any settings for the Apple TV 2 preset or anything would they? Just worried about stuff I ripped with the nightly and final version not being consistent.
nightlies from a week or two ago are fine. Don't worry. Major feature freezes were done before that.

johnryjr
Jan 4, 2011, 12:10 AM
nightlies from a week or two ago are fine. Don't worry. Major feature freezes were done before that.

Good to know. Thank you.

Tilpots
Jan 4, 2011, 07:40 AM
Thats because the atv 2 can play 720p30 whereas the atv 1 can only play 720p24. So it made the preset much easier since it did not have to account for a 30fps source.

What a difference the native 30fps makes. My video is much smoother and the graphics look awesome. I shoot for TV in 4x3 and then use Handbrake to archive the shows This new ATV2 preset really improves the quality of the archive.

dynaflash
Jan 4, 2011, 11:18 AM
What a difference the native 30fps makes. My video is much smoother and the graphics look awesome. I shoot for TV in 4x3 and then use Handbrake to archive the shows This new ATV2 preset really improves the quality of the archive.
Glad it works good for you. Of course you could have set it up manually as a preset but I s'pose its easier to just use the built in. Either way ... win!

fortunecookie
Jan 4, 2011, 11:28 AM
Woe nice share! I wish I have read this before converting tons of videos with atv1 preset.

rayward
Jan 4, 2011, 11:41 AM
Can anyone confirm if this release includes the ability to make an AC3 Passthru track from mkv rips? That's my favourite feature of the nightly build over 0.9.4.

dynaflash
Jan 4, 2011, 11:46 AM
Can anyone confirm if this release includes the ability to make an AC3 Passthru track from mkv rips? That's my favourite feature of the nightly build over 0.9.4.

AC3 Passthru is only available if the source has an AC3 track. Just like its always been and has been so in the nightlies. Also 0.9.5 can encode other tracks to AC3 (yes, including dts tracks) which work great on both atv's (yes, just like the nightlies for the last month or so).

Realize that 0.9.5 is todays nightly. There is no separate branch for nightlies vs. public releases.

rayward
Jan 4, 2011, 11:56 AM
AC3 Passthru is only available if the source has an AC3 track. Just like its always been and has been so in the nightlies. Also 0.9.5 can encode other tracks to AC3 (yes, including dts tracks) which work great on both atv's (yes, just like the nightlies for the last month or so).

Realize that 0.9.5 is todays nightly. There is no separate branch for nightlies vs. public releases.

Cool, thanks. I may not have been using the correct terminology, but it wasn't until I picked up on the nightlies that I realised that I wasn't getting a 6-channel audio track on most of my HD rips using 0.9.4. That release simply could not create an AC3 Passthru track from most of the mkv rips I fed it. The nightly had the ability to create one for every rip, regardless of source file.

I'm having to re-rip most of my HD content anyway, so I don't want to make the same mistake again. I've checked the HB forums, and it seems pretty clear that this feature is in 0.9.5.

dynaflash
Jan 4, 2011, 12:15 PM
Cool, thanks. I may not have been using the correct terminology, but it wasn't until I picked up on the nightlies that I realised that I wasn't getting a 6-channel audio track on most of my HD rips using 0.9.4. That release simply could not create an AC3 Passthru track from most of the mkv rips I fed it. The nightly had the ability to create one for every rip, regardless of source file.

I'm having to re-rip most of my HD content anyway, so I don't want to make the same mistake again. I've checked the HB forums, and it seems pretty clear that this feature is in 0.9.5.

I think you are confusing AC3 Pass thru (which hb has had for years) with the new AC3 encoder. The former just passes thru the sources AC3 audio into the new file, the latter (which is new and yes is in the 0.9.5 release) will convert the sources non-AC3 track (mostly seen in mkv's with a dts audio track) into a useable AC3 track. The end result is the same pretty much but how you get there is different. Yes, all features that were in the nightlies are in 0.9.5 as of today.

Dimwhit
Jan 4, 2011, 12:39 PM
I'm guessing we should still avoid updating VLC though?

I just downloaded the latest 64-bit VLC. Haven't confirmed the results, but it's doing its thing right now, so I think it's fine.

rayward
Jan 4, 2011, 02:39 PM
I think you are confusing AC3 Pass thru (which hb has had for years) with the new AC3 encoder. The former just passes thru the sources AC3 audio into the new file, the latter (which is new and yes is in the 0.9.5 release) will convert the sources non-AC3 track (mostly seen in mkv's with a dts audio track) into a useable AC3 track. The end result is the same pretty much but how you get there is different. Yes, all features that were in the nightlies are in 0.9.5 as of today.

Thanks. Yes, this answers my question. It was the lack of the AC3 encoder in 0.9.4 that was my problem, in that I wasn't getting the 6-channel audio from most MKV rips.

simon48
Jan 4, 2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks!:cool:

yetanotherdave
Jan 4, 2011, 03:34 PM
I just downloaded the latest 64-bit VLC. Haven't confirmed the results, but it's doing its thing right now, so I think it's fine.

Just found vlc 1.1, seems to be working OK.
This is fast, about 50% faster than before :D (40fps up to 60)

martin1000
Jan 4, 2011, 04:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Has anyone tried playing a ATV2 preset encoded movie on an ATV1 (using the 23.9 framerate)?

I would also like to know the answer to this.

Thanks!

axeldtf
Jan 5, 2011, 04:03 PM
I really like Handbrake.. i use it to rip dvd's of television programs so i can watch them on my ipod. What would be the best setting to rip dvd's to watch them on my television? I'm looking for the best quality with a smaller filesize.. any help would be appreciated.. thanks

Dimwhit
Jan 5, 2011, 04:08 PM
I really like Handbrake.. i use it to rip dvd's of television programs so i can watch them on my ipod. What would be the best setting to rip dvd's to watch them on my television? I'm looking for the best quality with a smaller filesize.. any help would be appreciated.. thanks

I'm ripping them with the new ATV 2 preset, and I think it's great. Very good quality, and the file size is decent (roughly 1.5GB for a 2 hour movie, or thereabouts).

Edit: Actually, just under 1.7GB for 2 hours.

yancey47
Jan 5, 2011, 09:14 PM
Great job on the update. The DTS transfer is a very welcome addition. Thanks for all the hard work.

axeldtf
Jan 5, 2011, 10:36 PM
I'm ripping them with the new ATV 2 preset, and I think it's great. Very good quality, and the file size is decent (roughly 1.5GB for a 2 hour movie, or thereabouts).

Thanks!

BlackMangoTree
Jan 7, 2011, 07:15 AM
HUge audio quality drop when going from dts to ac3

NightStorm
Jan 7, 2011, 07:25 AM

Well, you are converting one lossy format to another. That said, I haven't experienced what I would characterize as a "huge quality drop" in my DTS -> AC3 conversions. If I have to convert DTS, I always use 640kbps AC3.

rayward
Jan 7, 2011, 09:40 AM

But if you choose, as I do, to take the convenience of watching your media via Apple TV, then the AC3 option is much better than 2-channel stereo (which is all you'd get from a Blu Ray rip under HB 0.9.4).

tallpaul
Jan 8, 2011, 07:33 AM

I've tried ripping a DVD(HEAT 2hr 43mins) using the new Apple TV2 preset and the only application that can play the ripped m4v is the latest version of VLC!

It imports no problem to iTunes and opens up but the video freezes and the sound continues.

The ripped handbrake file is 1.78GB

any ideas?

thanks

Tilpots
Jan 17, 2011, 01:52 PM
I've tried ripping a DVD(HEAT 2hr 43mins) using the new Apple TV2 preset and the only application that can play the ripped m4v is the latest version of VLC!

It imports no problem to iTunes and opens up but the video freezes and the sound continues.

The ripped handbrake file is 1.78GB

any ideas?

thanks

I'm guessing it's your computer. What are you using?

Number6
Jan 17, 2011, 04:56 PM
Love the new release, the DTS to ac-3 conversion is a great feature. The only problem that I have is that this does not work with other multi-channel formats (Dolby Digital Plus, WMA Pro, Dolby TruHD), although Handbrake can decode the streams but it only gives me a 2-channel aac track. Does anyone have a solution for this, as I have a lot of HD DVDs lying around that feature Dolby Digital Plus audio. The strange thing is that Handbrake let's me select the ac-3 conversion on each of these formats but the resulting file has no sign of an ac-3 track...

ajnicho
Jan 18, 2011, 02:17 AM
How does this compare in terms of quality compared to say remuxing the MKV to an MP4?

Ingster
Jan 18, 2011, 07:38 AM
I've previously used the universal preset for my encodes, i'm a complete noob to this and not too much of a scrutanise every pixel kind of guy, i have an iphone 4, ipad and apple tv2, is is much better to use the apple tv 2 preset than the universal or is the difference too small to notice (NB ripping standard definition DVD's)

Counterfit
Jan 18, 2011, 07:57 AM
How does this compare in terms of quality compared to say remuxing the MKV to an MP4?

Not as good. Remuxing just changes the container, this re-encodes the audio and/or video.

newagemac
Jan 18, 2011, 08:22 AM
I've previously used the universal preset for my encodes, i'm a complete noob to this and not too much of a scrutanise every pixel kind of guy, i have an iphone 4, ipad and apple tv2, is is much better to use the apple tv 2 preset than the universal or is the difference too small to notice (NB ripping standard definition DVD's)

There is a HUGE difference between the universal preset and the ATV2 preset for HD content and an easily noticeable difference for SD stuff like DVDs. Since you have the iPhone 4, iPad, and ATV2 I don't see any reason for you to use universal other than smaller file sizes but since the ATV2 preset uses High Profile which is a more efficient encoding method than what the Universal preset uses, you get more "bang for your buck".

Ingster
Jan 18, 2011, 08:27 AM
TY for the help, i've asked people before and they've just come back with use this or that preset, change the ugamaflip rating to -84 googols but make sure the space time flux capacitor is reversed so not to create a paradox of 24534 rhens and if you don't your MBP will swallow itself in the blink of an eye and your left with a vista machine!

Tilpots
Jan 18, 2011, 08:33 AM
TY for the help, i've asked people before and they've just come back with use this or that preset, change the ugamaflip rating to -84 googols but make sure the space time flux capacitor is reversed so not to create a paradox of 24534 rhens and if you don't your MBP will swallow itself in the blink of an eye and your left with a vista machine!

They were right. That's another route to go. :D

drgrafix
Jan 19, 2011, 04:29 PM

Too Friggin' funny! :D

Like you, I'm a total noob to handbrake. In the past (on a PC) I used AnyDVD but my rips are/were TS_Video files. I am almost finished setting up a ATV Gen1 with Boxee/XMBC/Navi-X. Trying to figure out how to point it to an external HDD that's connected to my mac.

But anyway... I have two questions; first, if I use ATV2 presets for handbrake, how does that affect the movie because I thought all DVDs are produced with 24FPS not 30? Second question... can you burn a copy of a handbraked movie that will play in a portable DVD player? Taking grandkids on a roadtrip soon, and with a 2 & 6 year old, no way they are handling the original DVDs in the back seat LOL! Get my drift?

kuwisdelu
Jan 19, 2011, 05:00 PM
But anyway... I have two questions; first, if I use ATV2 presets for handbrake, how does that affect the movie because I thought all DVDs are produced with 24FPS not 30?

The ATV2 preset limits the fps to no more than 30. If it's already below 30, it'll keep that fps. So if the source is 24 fps, it will say 24 fps.

Second question... can you burn a copy of a handbraked movie that will play in a portable DVD player? Taking grandkids on a roadtrip soon, and with a 2 & 6 year old, no way they are handling the original DVDs in the back seat LOL! Get my drift?

You can, but DVD's generally take mpeg2, so it'll end up being converted again by the DVD software. You probably won't notice much quality difference (the kids definitely won't), but it can be time-consuming.

I'm not sure since I haven't done it, but it may be faster to make the DVD copy from the original DVD if you want to do a lot of them. (Most DVD software make this easy.)

macfaninpdx
Jan 19, 2011, 05:07 PM
Since you have the iPhone 4, iPad, and ATV2 I don't see any reason for you to use universal other than smaller file sizes but since the ATV2 preset uses High Profile which is a more efficient encoding method than what the Universal preset uses, you get more "bang for your buck".

Am I understanding you correctly that the ATV2 preset will play correctly in the iPhone4, iPad and ATV2?

If those are the only devices I want my media to be played on, would the only potential benefit of the Universal preset be smaller file sizes?

Also, will the ATV2 preset play on the original ATV?

drgrafix
Jan 20, 2011, 08:07 AM
Am I missing something or does HandBrake have a menu selection for the exact settings perhaps depicting the output file size or associating it with ATV1 or ATV2 or whatever? Or does one just select the slider and bring it up to 100%. Sorry... just not getting it.

rayward
Jan 20, 2011, 12:23 PM
With apologies if I am jumping in here...

Am I understanding you correctly that the ATV2 preset will play correctly in the iPhone4, iPad and ATV2?

Yes, as all three devices can take up to 30fps. However, for the iPhone4, you are wasting storage space as the file is at a resolution higher than the iPhone can display, whereas a file encoded specifically for the iPhone will be at its maximum resolution and therefore smaller.

If those are the only devices I want my media to be played on, would the only potential benefit of the Universal preset be smaller file sizes?

Yes. But you will have a file that has been averaged down, so it will still be bigger than a file encoded specifically for the iPhone, and still at a lower resolution than a file encoded specifically for the ATV2 and iPad. I.e. the worst of both worlds.

Also, will the ATV2 preset play on the original ATV?

Possibly, but not for certain. ATV2 can handle up to 30fps, whereas the ATV1 is limited to 25fps. Most BD movies, for example, are at 23.xxx fps, so both versions of the ATV would be able to play a 720p encode of that movie. BUT, the ATV2 preset in Handbrake will allow the frame rate to go up to 30fps if that is the rate on the source file - and the resultant encode will be too much for the ATV1 to handle.

FWIW, I have an iPhone 3GS, an iPad and some ATV1s. I make two versions of each rip - one using the ATV preset and one using the iPhone / iPod preset. I opt for iTunes to feed the "HD" version to the ATV and iPad, with the "SD" version going to the iPhone.

BornAgainMac
Jan 20, 2011, 03:07 PM
I have a lot of devices but I'll choose ATV2 as my master and use it for everything else. If it doesn't play then I'll use the ATV2 file as the source to encode down to that lesser format.

I also know this is being picky but I like renaming my .m4v files to .mp4. I still will import them into iTunes but I like having them in the finder as .mp4s to default with the Quicktime Player. Until I can tag my video correctly, I prefer having all my video accessible from the finder until I am ready to import it into iTunes.

Dimwhit
Jan 20, 2011, 03:55 PM
I also know this is being picky but I like renaming my .m4v files to .mp4. I still will import them into iTunes but I like having them in the finder as .mp4s to default with the Quicktime Player. Until I can tag my video correctly, I prefer having all my video accessible from the finder until I am ready to import it into iTunes.

Just set all your m4v files to open in Quicktime Player by default, instead of iTunes.

macfaninpdx
Jan 20, 2011, 05:41 PM
With apologies if I am jumping in here...
...[snip]

Thanks for the explanations. Some time ago I started using the Universal preset for all future DVD encodings, as well as replacing my original versions on an as-needed basis. My thought was that the quality of the Universal preset looked great on my ATV, and I wouldn't need to manage multiple encodings for different devices.

Since I rarely ever put more than one or two videos on my iPhone 4 at a time, the potential space savings from using the iPhone specific preset isn't really important to me. So now I am considering just using the ATV2 preset for everything, as long as the files aren't too much bigger than the Universal preset. And since I don't have Blu-Ray discs, I am not worried about 720p encodes at higher than 25fps.