Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With cases claimed to be for the next-generation iPad appearing over the past few weeks, observers have been examining the cases in detail in their attempts to get an idea of how the second generation of Apple's tablet will differ from the original version. Based on those cases, it has been noted that the next-generation iPad appears to be slightly thinner than the current model and carries tapered edges more akin to the iPod touch than the current version's flat sides and rounded back.

093453-dexim_ipad_comparison_500.jpg

Comparison of current iPad (top) and mockup of claimed next-generation iPad (bottom)
As noted by Engadget, however, one case manufacturer exhibiting its wares at CES has taken things one step further in aiding our visualization of the next-generation iPad by putting together a physical mockup of the device made out of machined aluminum.
It [the case] was so intriguing that we asked to put our own iPad inside, which is when we were told it wouldn't fit, since the case was designed for the next iPad. Indeed, the mockup that we found inside the case was a tad bit slimmer than the first-gen iPad, with a taper leading to the edges that reminds us of the iPod touch, and a home button positioned nearer the bottom edge. We found all the typical cutouts on the case, and their mirror on the machined mockup, including a large square for the speaker.
The rumored physical details of the next-generation iPad of course depend on the case mockups being based on accurate information, although such details have generally been fairly accurate in the past as the case manufacturers have been able to obtain advance design information through leaks in Apple's supply chain. A number of the claimed cases have been pulled since their existence was made public, possibly suggesting that Apple has been stepping in to limit access to accurate details of its future products.

093454-dexim_ipad_mockup_500.jpg

Aluminum mockup of claimed next-generation iPad (rear view)

Article Link: Physical Mockup of Next-Generation iPad Appears at CES

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
So do these case manufacturers actually know any information, or are they guessing based off of the rumors so they can have a case ready at launch? It seems like if Apple actually gave them information they wouldn't be allowed to show off things like this.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
So do these case manufacturers actually know any information, or are they guessing based off of the rumors so they can have a case ready at launch? It seems like if Apple actually gave them information they wouldn't be allowed to show off things like this.

If I'm not mistaken, the case manufacturers are getting inside information from Apple's production partners on the sly. Not from Cupertino.

BFD - I care more about the specs than the form factor.
Doesn't the form-factor point to changes in relevant specs? Thinking specifically about cameras. Other specs are meaningless in an Apple tablet. I couldn't care less about the processor or RAM. Storage, maybe. Though I've never gotten closed to filling my 32GB iPad.

icanboogie

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
Berlin
hm. for me, this iPad 2 looks somehow more outdated than iPad1.
Those kurved edges are relicts of the last decade.

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
not really sure the mockup is the real thing.
Apple is a lot about usability, and I doubt that these thin edges are convinient to hold; especially with one hand only.

cases might have been removed from alibaba by apple even if they are not the real thing. after all they were posing to be for something (so far) non existing.

icanboogie

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
Berlin
oh, the rear view looks just like a classic 2007/2008 mbp santa rosa.
which I quite like.

well, aren't we all excited to see more....

backdraft

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
USA
Unless this is some viral marketing tactic to keep attention on Apple without an actual presence at CES. If so, very smart!

mikerr

macrumors regular
May 5, 2007
hm. for me, this iPad 2 looks somehow more outdated than iPad1.
Those kurved edges are relicts of the last decade.

True
top pic (existing iPad) looks like the side of an iPhone4
the bottom pic looks more like the side of an iphone 3G/s

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow

developer can download exact technical drawings of the idevs, but only after the device is made public.
might be that credited 3rd party companies get some headstart, but if, they would not risk that by leaking the info to early.

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008

The article said these things happen because of leaks in Apple's supply chain... so presumably Foxconn workers just grab a shell off the production line and sell it for more than they'd get paid in a year.

Seeing as there's no benefit for Apple to allow case manufacturers to have cases ready for launch, I doubt they'd do it, and if they did, it would be only to the higher profile case manufacturers, but this must not happen as usually it will be at least a few weeks before those companies come out with cases after a new product release.

I wouldn't mind hearing a few more rumours about what's inside the iPad 2. Apple don't often disappoint me with there designs.

sleepingworker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2003
Manhattan, NY
I passed on the first version of the iPad (just like I did on the first version of the iPhone). As great as the iPad seemed on some levels, it underwhelmed in comparison to the iPhone 4 in almost all features other than size.

I really look forward to seeing this version - and buying it. That, and one day a Macbook Air. My Macbook Pro feels heavy and clunky lately. Changing times.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
I don't like it. I hope it's not chrome on the back because that would just look like crap.

Ping Guo

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Looks like a regression design-wise, when we consider the MBA going from curved to more angular, same for iPhone 3 to 4. TBH the mockup looks a bit crap. Let's hope the real thing looks a lot better.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
How much different could the form factor really be?

It's going to be what's inside that matters most to consumers, and what you'll be able to do with it.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Crumbs from the table of knowledge.

I am damn interested to finally find the specs of the actual hardware, INSIDE. Sometimes Apple tosses a zinger and a next gen is a delightful leap upward in function. Let's hope iPad2 will be a nice little budge upward in processing/resolution/memory.

The odd "low end iMac" rumor from last month is still vexing me. It might have been a complete red herring, but it would be cool to see a stripped down iMac.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Not a big fan of the current touch's back, so it being translated into the ipad is meh. :( Apple is having a harder time keeping their products secret. It's inevitable though. If you get this popular, there's no way to keep it unknown. Especially if your manufacturer is overseas.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
apple probably has people visiting the show. they probably took their dummy ipad look alikes and had their buddies in the tech media snap a few pics and write up a story for some non-news to take the spotlight off the show's products

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.