Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Apple is more about making lots and lots of money. Destroying the industry with dumping prices will make them only loose money. If there is one thing we can be sure of with the iPad2, than it's that they will make lots of money with it (and I will be one of those who spend their hard earned money the second you can pre-order it)

True - but I'm thinking Apple will do like they have with various iPhone and iPod Touch releases. When the "2" is released they will keep the entry iPad "1" 16gb and re-price it at $399.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
hm. for me, this iPad 2 looks somehow more outdated than iPad1.
Those kurved edges are relicts of the last decade.

My thoughts exactly. It looks like an iPhone 3G. I think I'll keep my first-gen, unless there are some banging new features not offered in the software update. I upgrade my iPhone yearly, my iPad can wait longer since I use it less.

Plus, I've used FaceTime like once. I thought I would use it more, but it just never really caught on with my family and friends :(

BILLWFT

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
Apple is more about making lots and lots of money. Destroying the industry with dumping prices will make them only loose money. If there is one thing we can be sure of with the iPad2, than it's that they will make lots of money with it (and I will be one of those who spend their hard earned money the second you can pre-order it)

Yelp, buying my daughter one no matter what it looks like, specs or cost. For xmas I gave her a card with an IOU for an iPad2. :):)

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
Plus hopefully the price will be $100 to $200 cheaper...$399 base price for a 32GB Ipad2 will destroy the rest of the industry.

It would also not make any money.

Appleipadcostbreakdown.jpg

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10451132-1.html

Add Shipping, the retrailer Cut and Taxes and i don´t see how how 299 or 399 would work. The new models will be expensive, maybe they keep the most bought iPad one to offer it cheaper like they did with the white MacBook.

josh8711

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2010
If this mockup is the design or close to it I will happily choose the iPad1 lol. Cheaper and better design cause that mock up really stinks. I hope iPad2 is not anything like that.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
True - but I'm thinking Apple will do like they have with various iPhone and iPod Touch releases. When the "2" is released they will keep the entry iPad "1" 16gb and re-price it at $399.

Maybe - but only if there is another competitive iPad alternative. Right now I don't see any reason why they should do that, they have no problems selling what they produce and there is no true alternative out there - but maybe there will be a surprise tablet coming soon from another company.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
...Everyone who has said that it looks outdated it correct. Apple wouldn't do this....

Comments like this one remind me so strongly of the discussion about the iPhone 4 when it was leaked. "That can't be the real thing! It's a terrible design!" etc. Then, when it turned out to be the real design, most people changed their tune.

So, while I'm sure that there are some people who won't like the design whatever it is, I'm not going to pass judgement until I see the real thing.

None of my Apple products will EVER be put in a case, so design matters to me.

I've never understood why people buy a device with industry leading industrial design, then put it in an ugly case. I've never damaged any of my iPhones or my iPad or my MacBook's by not using cases. In many instances, cases cause more damage than they prevent (scratches etc...).

As someone who does use a case, I don't think that the case that I use is ugly, and it also adds functionality to my iPad, in addition to protecting my iPad against adverse conditions. While you may choose not to use cases, you don't need to be insulting to those of us you do. :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. It looks like an iPhone 3G. I think I'll keep my first-gen, unless there are some banging new features not offered in the software update. I upgrade my iPhone yearly, my iPad can wait longer since I use it less.

Plus, I've used FaceTime like once. I thought I would use it more, but it just never really caught on with my family and friends :(

Ah, just wait for kids. My parents want us to do video chats several times a week so they can see their grandkids. I'm still working on other friends to get them to v-chat with me more often...

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
Ah, just wait for kids. My parents want us to do video chats several times a week so they can see their grandkids. I'm still working on other friends to get them to v-chat with me more often...

I can assure you I'm a decade away from even considering :D

I think that FaceTime is great and all, but for my lifestyle and relationships, it just hasn't worked its way in yet. So if FT is really the feature of the iPad 2, I think I'll be sticking with old faithful.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
As someone who does use a case, I don't think that the case that I use is ugly, and it also adds functionality to my iPad, in addition to protecting my iPad against adverse conditions. While you may choose not to use cases, you don't need to be insulting to those of us you do. :rolleyes:

How is saying that I don't understand why people would put their beautifully designed Apple products in ugly cases an insult? Sensitive much? :rolleyes:

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Maybe - but only if there is another competitive iPad alternative. Right now I don't see any reason why they should do that, they have no problems selling what they produce and there is no true alternative out there - but maybe there will be a surprise tablet coming soon from another company.

What I've been thinking about is that we might see something like

16GB, 1st gen tech, $449
64GB, 2nd gen tech, $599
128GB, 2nd gen tech, $699

This would echo the transition from the iPod Touch 2nd gen to 3rd gen.

Now, I'm not holding my breath for such a thing, but I wouldn't consider it necessarily unlikely, either.

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
That is darn ugly. I'd much rather see it look more like a big iPhone 4 with the aluminum edge. But more likely liquid metal to keep it light, thin and strong.

AppleFan1984

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2010
You're just not seeing this right.

That's a cleverness of Ive's design: by curving the back at a very steep angle, the device looks a lot thinner than it really is.
It also makes it unnecessarily hard to type on when laid on a flat surface.

I noticed at the local Apple store they solved that by displaying them on custom pedestals, I guess hoping no one would lay it on the table next to the Macbooks. ;)

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
In previous threads people have complained that you can't use the current iPad on a flat surface because of the rounded back.

Solution: Give the iPad a flat back.

In response to this, others complain that you won't be able to easily lift it from said flat surface because there will be no edge to grip.

Solution: Give the iPad a flat back AND a tapered edge.

Now that this seems like the way Apple has gone, people are complaining that it's a step backwards.

I guess this only proves the old axiom that you can't please everyone.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Ugly, that's a matter of opinion. But it's got a flat rear, so the case will have more volume despite being slightly thinner, isn't that more efficient?

NO, much more volume available with square corners.

I'll be astounded if this curved monstrosity is the real deal. If so......... aapl will get pounded.

cheers
johnG

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
NO, much more volume available with square corners.

I'll be astounded if this curved monstrosity is the real deal. If so......... aapl will get pounded.

cheers
johnG

I'm quite convinced it is the real deal, and if AAPL does get pounded, it will quickly rebound when it sells like crazy, just like the original iPad.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
CES is an Apple publicity extravaganza

Apple avoids CES every year. And every year it's an epic win of publicity for Apple anyway. Every single Apple-wannabe product is compared, by the press and by CES attendees, against the real thing.

And now a mock-up of iPad 2 is sending shock waves through CES.

Free publicity for Apple.
All day, every day.
Live from CES!

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Apple avoids CES every year. And every year it's an epic win of publicity for Apple anyway. Every single Apple-wannabe product is compared, by the press and by CES attendees, against the real thing.

And now a mock-up of iPad 2 is sending shock waves through CES.

Free publicity for Apple.
All day, every day.
Live from CES!

So true, and pathetic. CES is dominated by companies trying to compete with the product that Apple released the year before. It would be nice to see some real innovation instead of a bunch of iPad wannabes that are inferior to the year-old product they're trying to copy.

David Ormesher

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
I'd like to throw my name into the "hate it" pile… I think this form factor is ugly and there's no way it's gonna get uglier. It's the screen resolution that's gotta get better, which it will. I just bought the 1st generation iPad this week because I was too impatient. It's being stored nicely in an Apple case and it'll go right on Craigslist the day I get the 2nd Generation :)

I borrowed my friends iPad and had to give it back, couldn't live without it after that. So the bug bit me, and I droned off to the Apple store.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I'd like to throw my name into the "hate it" pile… I think this form factor is ugly and there's no way it's gonna get uglier. It's the screen resolution that's gotta get better, which it will. I just bought the 1st generation iPad this week because I was too impatient. It's being stored nicely in an Apple case and it'll go right on Craigslist the day I get the 2nd Generation :)

I borrowed my friends iPad and had to give it back, couldn't live without it after that. So the bug bit me, and I droned off to the Apple store.

The iPad 2 won't have higher resolution. You heard it here first folks! :p

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
None of my Apple products will EVER be put in a case, so design matters to me.

I've never understood why people buy a device with industry leading industrial design, then put it in an ugly case. I've never damaged any of my iPhones or my iPad or my MacBook's by not using cases. In many instances, cases cause more damage than they prevent (scratches etc...).

Sure, it's much better looking without the case but it is a little slippery. I'd hate to drop it and in the Apple case it's got a great grip that the cat can't push off the coffee table.

And I love the case's ability to tilt the screen which makes using it on a plane more enjoyable.

And I place the flap over the display on the elliptical or stationary bike at the gym. That iPad aint falling down for anything and I'm watching Netflix at the gym instead of Oprah.

You can "never" understand reasons like these? Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.