PDA

View Full Version : Can you say G5 ripoff?

pockyrevolution
Jan 28, 2005, 12:02 PM
http://65.119.30.141/Productimage/11-112-051-06.jpg

In addition to the looks, its also called the M5.

It touts being the only Windows-Compatible 64-bit processor.

http://65.119.30.141/Productimage/11-112-051-10.jpg

Made by http://abspc.com/

munkle
Jan 28, 2005, 12:21 PM
I'm always amazed at how people can so blatantly copy Apple's design and yet churn out something so ugly. It must actually take effort! :rolleyes:

maya
Jan 28, 2005, 12:26 PM
I thought people hated the "cheese grater" design and style of the PMG5, yet here I am amazed at another useless copy. :rolleyes: :)

maya
Jan 28, 2005, 12:28 PM
I'm always amazed at how people can so blatantly copy Apple's design and yet churn out something so ugly. It must actually take effort! :rolleyes:

Be amazed in the future too, this will never stop. :p :)

Blue Velvet
Jan 28, 2005, 12:31 PM
I thought people hated the "cheese grater" design and style of the PMG5, yet here I am amazed at another useless copy. :rolleyes: :)

I looove the G5 PM.

Even though I also like my home Mac, a MDD G4, it's a bit over the top.
Chrome plastic and those vents... a bit suspect.

puckhead193
Jan 28, 2005, 12:33 PM
i would never buy that for two reasons....
1) windows...well yea...no extra comment needed ;)
2) its fugly!

maya
Jan 28, 2005, 12:35 PM
I looove the G5 PM.

Even though I also like my home Mac, a MDD G4, it's a bit over the top.
Chrome plastic and those vents... a bit suspect.

I liked some of the 1st PMG3, PMG4 designs. (only commenting on the PM designs for this thread). :)

Some PM designs I have to question like the MDD you have, what was Apple thinking. :)

maya
Jan 28, 2005, 12:36 PM
i would never buy that for two reasons....
1) windows...well yea...no extra comment needed ;)
2) its fugly!

You can always run linux on it. ;) :)

It has wheels. :eek: :)

Timelessblur
Jan 28, 2005, 12:37 PM
boy you guys start screaming about it when every you see it but you relieze that case simlure to the G5 power mac case have been out since the G5 power mac came out and more that likely where already able to be boughting on the open market before the powermac G5 came out. No change that they where advible to buy before the powermac g5 came out. Just apple made it more popular..... Home builder have been using case like G5 power macs for years.

Lord Blackadder
Jan 28, 2005, 12:46 PM
boy you guys start screaming about it when every you see it but you relieze that case simlure to the G5 power mac case have been out since the G5 power mac came out and more that likely where already able to be boughting on the open market before the powermac G5 came out. No change that they where advible to buy before the powermac g5 came out. Just apple made it more popular..... Home builder have been using case like G5 power macs for years.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, I can't really read some of this :confused: . It doesn't matter when it's available, especially if it is a blatant copy that has managed to mis-translate the design language as badly as this PC box has.

I agree that the MDD is a little over the top, but I love the "Graphite" look of my G4 Digital Audio, I think it is one of the best looking powermacs ever. The G5 is less elegant, but more industrial looking, and I think it works well. The MDD has two 5.25" drive bays for optical drives though, which is something that it would be nice to see as optional in the G5.

jamdr
Jan 28, 2005, 12:47 PM
I thought the best looking PowerMac was the Quicksilver model. I also liked the look of the B&W PowerMac G3. The MDD design was a little sketch, as was the original graphite PowerMac G4. I think the PowerMac G5 falls just behind the Quicksilver design--I definitely like it, but this rip-off is pretty ugly by any standard (although PC modders can hardly be said to have good taste :p).

maya
Jan 28, 2005, 12:53 PM

If this was true when why was there a PC geek who received a PMG5 for christmas in 2003 when the PMG5 was released, he gutted the PM and put a x86 components in the PMG5 case.

Would it not have been wiser to sell the PMG5 and buy a similar looking as as such, and remember this individual is a PC geek, he knew what he was doing. :p :)

Lord Blackadder
Jan 28, 2005, 12:54 PM
At first I thought it had casters, then I noticed the big goofy axles. What is that all about? It looks like a Tonka truck. :p

munkle
Jan 28, 2005, 01:03 PM
If this was true when why was there a PC geek who received a PMG5 for christmas in 2003 when the PMG5 was released, he gutted the PM and put a x86 components in the PMG5 case.

Would it not have been wiser to sell the PMG5 and buy a similar looking as as such, and remember this individual is a PC geek, he knew what he was doing. :p :)

The whole thing was just a big hoax (http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,62157,00.html)!

I'm sure there were cases similar to the G5 around but it doesn't change the fact that this is a pretty obvious copy of Apple's design and that they made it a heck of a lot uglier in the process.

maya
Jan 28, 2005, 01:07 PM
The whole thing was just a big hoax (http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,62157,00.html)!

Was it, shows how much I keep up with the news. :o :(

I'm sure there were cases similar to the G5 around but it doesn't change the fact that this is a pretty obvious copy of Apple's design and that they made it a heck of a lot uglier in the process.

I am surprised there is NO WINDOW on the side of this case. :p :)

Jo-Kun
Jan 28, 2005, 01:24 PM
Old news, they sell this case allready a while and there has been posts about it when they came out...

jimsowden
Jan 28, 2005, 01:35 PM
can you say repost?

nylon
Jan 28, 2005, 02:02 PM
Actually, if you see the inside of that case the design is actually brilliant. Too many people with elitist closed attitudes here. Come on grow up people. We all know Apple has brilliant design and aesthetic sense but there is no need to constantly railroad anything that has to with PC's.

Timelessblur
Jan 28, 2005, 04:18 PM
Actually, if you see the inside of that case the design is actually brilliant. Too many people with elitist closed attitudes here. Come on grow up people. We all know Apple has brilliant design and aesthetic sense but there is no need to constantly railroad anything that has to with PC's.

You right. there is a reason why the Apple Zelots are consider the worse of the zelots. THey think they know what they are talking about. They act like they know they are talking about but in reality most of the time they know almost noughting about what they are talking about. Even if some else comes out with it first they will claim apple did.

There where cases like the powerG5 case that could be gotten before the powermac g5 came out. not exactly the same but a lot like it enough to where the zelots would cry foal.

Peyote
Jan 28, 2005, 04:39 PM
I thought the best looking PowerMac was the Quicksilver model. I also liked the look of the B&W PowerMac G3. The MDD design was a little sketch, as was the original graphite PowerMac G4. I think the PowerMac G5 falls just behind the Quicksilver design--I definitely like it, but this rip-off is pretty ugly by any standard (although PC modders can hardly be said to have good taste :p).

I agree....the Quicksilver was the best looking Powermac. Even though I love the industrial look of the G5, that design lacks the emotion of the QS design, which was much friendlier to look at. The MDD powermac is the Pontiac Aztec of Powermacs, imho.

Sounds like we should have a poll about the best looking powermac.

Littleodie914
Jan 28, 2005, 04:40 PM
It has wheels. :eek: :)Haha... Anyone looking for a 64-bit skateboard? ;) :rolleyes:

ACED
Jan 28, 2005, 05:18 PM
I came across the "Codgen CS6097 Military Deluxe Chassis"... available in black, silver, and gun metal!

maya
Jan 28, 2005, 05:23 PM
I came across the "Codgen CS6097 Military Deluxe Chassis"... available in black, silver, and gun metal!

Someone posted something similar looking to that case.

Looks ugly.

erroneous
Jan 28, 2005, 06:23 PM
Actually, if you see the inside of that case the design is actually brilliant. Too many people with elitist closed attitudes here.

What you said. ;)

A colleague in work has one of these Lian Li cases (the PC-V1000) and he's very happy with it. Rail-mounted hard drive slots in a separate section of the case, just like the G5, but six of them. Unless you want the larger V2000 version which has twelve. There's even a non-cheese grater version with a sealing front door and anti-noise panelling.

It misses a few bells and whistles - doesn't have a removeable motherboard tray - but it seems pretty well made. If I ever build the Linux NAS/LVM/MD raid 5/SATA storage box I've been thinking about since last autumn, it'll be in one of these.

brap
Jan 28, 2005, 06:31 PM
...where the zelots would cry foal.My kingdom for a horse!

lbodnar
Jan 28, 2005, 06:48 PM
I have bought one of these G5 look-alike cases to put PC guts that were lying on the floor for a year. The reason they were lying on the floor is because I refused to buy anything that had fins, spikes, horns, lights, etc on it. Took me the whole evening to assemble and costed me a cut finger. I don't care too much because I don't use it more than once every few months to use my film scanner with SCSI interface. It also has no screen as it gave it to an eMac. You can go and kill me now.

Zealots is spelt with an "a"... Let me guess... no system-wide spell-check, eh? ;)

Regards from my eMac / PB17" / mini

dsharits
Jan 28, 2005, 07:00 PM
there is no need to constantly railroad anything that has to with PC's.

Sure there is. What else am I supposed to do all day? ;)

Daniel

mark88
Mar 5, 2006, 06:54 AM
http://65.119.30.141/Productimage/11-112-051-06.jpg

In addition to the looks, its also called the M5.

It touts being the only Windows-Compatible 64-bit processor.

http://65.119.30.141/Productimage/11-112-051-10.jpg

Made by http://abspc.com/

I have one of these cases and they simply rock! Yea, it looks alot like the G5 PM but the quality is top notch. It's actually called the Lian Li V1000, NOT the M5.

6 3.5" bays, 5 5.25" bays. You don't get that in a G5. :-)

If you have to use a PC, and also have a mac this case seems the obvious choice. I also have a coolermaster wavemaster which is equally as classy.

---

If you don't wanna buy a mac inspired product you can always get something like this.

http://www.scan.co.uk/images/products/124118-A.jpg

dsharits
Mar 5, 2006, 08:14 AM
If you don't wanna buy a mac inspired product you can always get something like this.

http://www.scan.co.uk/images/products/124118-A.jpg
Now that's just plain sick. :eek:

MacSyn
Mar 5, 2006, 08:32 AM
Sick photos! I almost puke!