PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreakers: Anyone get upnp media servers to work yet with Apple TV 2

djrobsd
Jan 18, 2011, 01:46 PM
Curious if there are any solutions yet for the new Apple TV unit after jailbreaking to be able to see content on a media server (such as Twonky - which is built right into my NAS or TVersity on my PC).. Both of those products transcode so they should be able to transcode any content to a compatible format with Apple TV, but who knows, maybe there are some other technical limitations..

I love the simplicity and form factor of the Apple TV, but loading all my content onto itunes onto my Mac is not going to work for me because I have 2TB of content in other formats on my NAS server and I don't want to have to convert it all and also leave a itunes computer on all the time! Maybe I should look at some other products on the market?

Tracebuzta
Jan 18, 2011, 04:02 PM
How about ATV Flash? Im using it on both my ATV 1s, and it works great.
I play my media from my home server by accessing hared folders :)

www.atvflash.com

djrobsd
Jan 19, 2011, 12:54 AM
Looks very promising, not yet available but coming soon. I'm curious, you say browsing via shared folders, so I guess it doesn't support the UPNP media center protocol then? Media Centers are so much nicer because they provide a way to organize all your stuff into playlists, categories, etc.

Tracebuzta
Jan 19, 2011, 02:14 AM
Yes, its a bit more basic, but it works great.

If you buy ATV Flash for the new ATV, you get instant access to the beta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyHVe48UMzc

djrobsd
Jan 21, 2011, 05:27 PM
Guess I got my wish! Right on the main page today of Macrumors, XBMC is live for AppleTV2. ;)