PDA

View Full Version : How long do you think your MBA will last?

Bakari45
Jan 19, 2011, 03:37 AM
I was just wondering how long do you think the current models of MBAs will last before they start having problems?

1-3 yrs?
4-6 yrs?
10 yrs?

I hope to keep mine at five years, but Id probably consider upgrading in a year or two and passing the current one down to one of my kids if they promised to take care of it.

Xil3
Jan 19, 2011, 03:53 AM
I was just wondering how long do you think the current models of MBAs will last before they start having problems?

1-3 yrs?
4-6 yrs?
10 yrs?

I hope to keep mine at five years, but Id probably consider upgrading in a year or two and passing the current one down to one of my kids if they promised to take care of it.

Probably less than a year before I sell it.

I'm quite a gadget freak, so like to have the top models.

MultiBat
Jan 19, 2011, 04:09 AM
I haven't bought it yet, but when I get it I hope it will last more than 3 years.

I have never owned a mac, but based what I have heard of apple build quality I think it physically should last at least 5 years (if taken care of).

Power wise (processor, RAM, SSD, screen resolution etc) it should last me at least 3 years, but hopefully 5 years.
I say this, because I will use it for simple tasks like writing, web, photo & music management. Occationally I will use handbrake and probably edit a video or two.
User with more needs (gaming, more serious photo & video editing) will have a shorter life span in my opinion.

So what I think it boils down to is whether I will want (not need) a new laptop after 3 years... :p

Hellhammer
Jan 19, 2011, 04:13 AM
I'm expecting/hoping 3-5 years. I find it relatively hard to predict because even 3 years is a very long time and one's usage may dramatically change during that period.

Xeperu
Jan 19, 2011, 06:03 AM
2 years before resale.

I will skip the next generation, but will get the one after that. I would prefer a higher res by then, 1600*900, 1920*1200 preferably. Hopefully also 512GB SSD and 8gb ram option.

telemark948
Jan 19, 2011, 10:04 AM
It depends if I still want a marriage or not.. MBA 13" was a XMAS present, it's going to last a few years so I've been told:D...possibly 5. When I wanted a new phone, I "accidentally" stepped on it when I got out of bed. This is a little drastic if I want a new computer.. :eek:

In reality:
Its for travelling with on the road with work...At the moment they provide me a lump of a machine or a crap netbook that doesn't fit all my needs...Once this current MBA doesn't fullfil those requirements anymore then I will get a new one....or I keep working on them to buy me an appropriate machine to travel with like.....MBA Version ??? when the time is suitable (fat chance)

shootingstar64
Jan 19, 2011, 10:39 AM
as for this time, i went the complete other route and opted for a "base" model mba 11",... i will definately upgrade to the upcoming or next generation "ultimate".

not that the "base" isn't capable for my needs, but this is my only workstation for the time being and i do want something with a little more spark to it :D

well, and i think upcoming osx releases and other software will dictate the pace of adjusting the hardware

mcdonaldtosh
Jan 19, 2011, 11:40 AM
Until your guarantee expires and Apple Store tells you to buy a new one.

philxor
Jan 19, 2011, 12:22 PM
I bought the 13.3 2.13/4GB and I'm hoping this machine lasts me about 3 years as my main computer. I used an original 1.83GHz MBP for 4.5 years.

Bakari45
Jan 19, 2011, 01:22 PM
as for this time, i went the complete other route and opted for a "base" model mba 11",... i will definately upgrade to the upcoming or next generation "ultimate".

I bought the base model as well, for the same reason. The MBA is not my main computer, and unless I make heavy use of it, I probably wont upgrade for a while unless Apple adds some productivity updates that inspire me to upgrade. Taking care of and maintaining my Air for five years though will be a challenge simply because my kids will eventually be getting their hands on it.

baller1308
Jan 19, 2011, 02:14 PM
I would upgrade to a new computer after 3-4 years anyways. Out with the old, in with the new.

If you saved one dollar a day once you make your purchase, after 3 years you can buy a new 11" MBA:D.

Kachadurian
Jan 19, 2011, 03:54 PM

1-3 yrs?
4-6 yrs?
10 yrs?

There was a time when I kept all my macs 3 years replacing laptop and desktop on alternating 18month cycles.

When I bought an original MacBook (black) after applecare ran out I was still using it and it was still doing everything I needed it to. On a whim I hacked a Dell Mini 9 and was sold on the small form factor, so I used that for the last year.

In short my MBA is the first Mac notebook I'm bought in almost 5 years. Unless something happens to change the OS and the processor won't handle it, or the way we work radically changes I could see keeping this for 4-5 years easy. My wife is still using the Black MacBook and loves it.

10 or more years ago Mac advancements happened so fast that 3 year-old hardware was almost worthless. Since OSX, not so much.

So I think the MBA is a Keeper, as long as I can hide it from my 16 year-old daughter.

Tom

jns2001
Jan 19, 2011, 04:48 PM
Bought mine in July 2009, going for 2 years, my peeve is if I get a new one the processor is the same C2D 2.3 GHz

wordoflife
Jan 19, 2011, 05:17 PM
I think the SSD would start to go before the rest of the computer.

AMDGAMER
Jan 19, 2011, 05:23 PM
Ill keep it for years probably. I buy a new computer every 3 years or so, but i usually keep the older ones or give them to family. Nothing worth buying a whole new macbook air is coming out anytime soon.

bobobenobi
Jan 19, 2011, 08:45 PM
Mine will last for thirty-seven years, two months, three weeks, five days, eleven hours, twenty-two minutes, and nine seconds.

KPOM
Jan 19, 2011, 09:18 PM
Mine will last for thirty-seven years, two months, three weeks, five days, eleven hours, twenty-two minutes, and nine seconds.

1,172,488,929 seconds, to be precise.

Is that something related to 32 or 64 bits, or just a completely made-up number (or something else, like your age when you posted)?

fs454
Jan 19, 2011, 09:26 PM
It'll do me perfect until Apple releases a quad core MBP with no optical drive, and no option for one internal whatsoever.

firewood
Jan 19, 2011, 09:55 PM
The cat destroyed my first iBook when it was only a few months old, due to it not having a magsafe power connector. But the replacement iBook G3, now over 7 years old, is still running strong, with less battery life, but useful for getting data off of a few of my ancient Mac Classic apps. The Mac 512Ke still booted when it was over 20 years old, but I haven't tried lately.

Last week, the cat tried to destroy my new MBA 11, but all he got was the end of a magsafe cable. Thank you Apple.

MultiFinder17
Jan 19, 2011, 09:57 PM
My Air has been going strong for a bit over a year now, and I expect to get at least another one, hopefully two out of it. The new OWC SSD that's coming for it later this week should help a bit :D

2IS
Jan 20, 2011, 12:49 AM
I plan on running my MBA 13 to the ground before I upgrade. I use this machine a lot, but my usage isn't very demanding. I leave all the heavy lifting to my desktop PC so I really shouldn't need an upgrade anytime soon. Realistically, i'll probably keep this thing around until the battery no longer holds a long enough charge.

darknite38
Jan 20, 2011, 01:02 AM
Then simply buy a new battery?

wisty
Jan 20, 2011, 01:03 AM
There was a time when I kept all my macs 3 years replacing laptop and desktop on alternating 18month cycles.

When I bought an original MacBook (black) after applecare ran out I was still using it and it was still doing everything I needed it to. On a whim I hacked a Dell Mini 9 and was sold on the small form factor, so I used that for the last year.

In short my MBA is the first Mac notebook I'm bought in almost 5 years. Unless something happens to change the OS and the processor won't handle it, or the way we work radically changes I could see keeping this for 4-5 years easy. My wife is still using the Black MacBook and loves it.

10 or more years ago Mac advancements happened so fast that 3 year-old hardware was almost worthless. Since OSX, not so much.

So I think the MBA is a Keeper, as long as I can hide it from my 16 year-old daughter.

Tom
Very true. There's been slight increases in performance/clock speed since Pentium 4. RAM has gone up about 4X. HDD is a lot bigger, and is going to SSD. But really, it's nothing dramatic. More and more cores, but not everyone cares.

There was a time when 5 year old hardware was only good as a paperweight. Now the MBA is slower than 5 year old hardware (in all respects except HDD) and it's still seen as snappy.

2IS
Jan 20, 2011, 01:13 AM
Then simply buy a new battery?

That's certainly an option. However I typically take good care of my laptop batteries so they tend to last a while, by the time it goes bad i'll probably be ready for a new laptop anyway. If however it's still meeting my needs and I can get a new pack for around $100 or less, I may do just that.

darknite38
Jan 20, 2011, 01:27 AM
Here is the thing for me. I have a 2009 13" macbook pro. I'm a high school student who only needs the internet, youtube, facebook, runescape, word processing, and minimal video editing. This laptop is perfect for me, and I plan to use it until it doesn't work anymore. How ever long that is it should be fine. 2.53 ghz core 2 duo is perfect for my needs. What else could I possibly need? I dont need a i7 8gb of ram or the newest video card.

1rottenapple
Jan 20, 2011, 02:01 AM
Ok Im an admitted apple gadget freak and I've had a new every 1 yr. I REALLY REALLT REALLY wanna break that habit so I'm aiming to keep this for 3 yrs, and possible getting a use mini in the future for dvd/movie serving duties. But yeah aiming to keep this for a while to prove to myself.

double329
Jan 20, 2011, 06:41 AM
I think, the MBA will last as long as you want it to last. In most cases, the owner determine how long the system will last over the actual system itself.:D

aneftp
Jan 20, 2011, 07:19 AM
Honestly, no matter how Apple markets how efficient OSX is, you will eventually kick yourself if you brought the bare 2GB RAM.

Here's my take:
11.6 MBA 1.4/1.6 2GB (2 years max is probably what most of us macrumors people will get out of the people).

11.6 MBA 1.4/1.6 4GB (you could stretch it out to 3 years).

13.3 MBA 1.83/2.13 2GB (again probably closely to 2 years maybe 2.5 years)

13.3 MBA 1.83/2.13 4GB (3 years, maybe stretch it to 4 years).

Not sure those with 2GB RAM will be able to smoothly support OSX 10.7 (Lion)

I have the 13.3 MBA 1.83/4GB and honestly am looking at 2 years use for my own use. Maybe I will hand me down to a family member. But that's how long I plan on using my MBA.

I don't keep computers that long. My 2007 24 inch intel core 2 duo iMac lasted me 2 years before I resold it. My 2008 Macbook 2.4 intel core 2 duo penryn lasted 1 year before I resold it.

I still have my 2009 iMac 27 inch core i7. I will probably end up keeping that 3 years and give it to my mom as a hand me down.

I kept my 32GB iPad 3g for about 7 months.

Bakari45
Jan 20, 2011, 11:11 AM
Honestly, no matter how Apple markets how efficient OSX is, you will eventually kick yourself if you brought the bare 2GB RAM.
Not sure those with 2GB RAM will be able to smoothly support OSX 10.7 (Lion)

This is disappointing to hear, for based on my past experiences with Apple computers, it sounds plausible. Sort of like planned obsolescence. Its not that Apple computers are built to break down, but they are certainly not built to keep up with future operating system upgrades, so youre compelled to shell out another couple of thousand for a new computer like every two years. The great Apple tax.

I still would like to hang on to my Air for at least five years. Or maybe I should keep it in shape and be prepared to sell it in a year or so.

Boston007
Jan 20, 2011, 11:15 AM
This is disappointing to hear, for based on my past experiences with Apple computers, it sounds plausible. Sort of like planned obsolescence. Its not that Apple computers are built to break down, but they are certainly not built to keep up with future operating system upgrades, so youre compelled to shell out another couple of thousand for a new computer like every two years. The great Apple tax.

I still would like to hang on to my Air for at least five years. Or maybe I should keep it in shape and be prepared to sell it in a year or so.

Unless you're doing heavy stuff on your MBA, your 2G of ram will suffice for Lion. Obviously don't upgrade right away. Research and see if it can handle it with the apps you will using it on.

If not and you want Lion, trade in your MBA 11". The great thing about Apple computers is they retain their value MUCH more than a windows PC.

Ronnoco
Jan 20, 2011, 01:30 PM
Ok Im an admitted apple gadget freak and I've had a new every 1 yr. I REALLY REALLT REALLY wanna break that habit so I'm aiming to keep this for 3 yrs, and possible getting a use mini in the future for dvd/movie serving duties. But yeah aiming to keep this for a while to prove to myself.

Good luck with dat...:D

aneftp
Jan 21, 2011, 06:42 AM
Unless you're doing heavy stuff on your MBA, your 2G of ram will suffice for Lion. Obviously don't upgrade right away. Research and see if it can handle it with the apps you will using it on.

If not and you want Lion, trade in your MBA 11". The great thing about Apple computers is they retain their value MUCH more than a windows PC.

The issue with RAM in the MBA is that's it's not upgradable (at least by legal/void your warranty means) Apple soldiers the RAM onto the computer. It's near impossible to upgrade the RAM yourself.

You have to plan ahead. You just can't get 2GB of RAM and install your own software (say Virtual Windows program like Parallels) and than 2 months down the road feel you need to upgrade to 4GB RAM. You just can't take that chance with RAM.

The hard drive you could get away with because either you have an SD card for the 13.3 inch to store more movies/music on the SD card or for the 11.6 inch you can use your portable hard drive or store things in the "cloud"

The thing that bugs me about Apple's 2GB of RAM is RAM is dirt cheap. Almost every single notebook manufactuer ships with 4GB RAM as standard, even on cheap $500-600 real notebooks (not netbooks).

hsl
Jan 21, 2011, 06:57 AM
The only thing I know I'm going to sell it and buy a new model long before it dies,.. ;-) or atleast, I hope it won't die before that. :)

leowyatt
Jan 21, 2011, 07:26 AM
I expect to be using my 13" Air for the next 4-5 years unless my circumstances really change and I need something more powerful. When it does come time to upgrade I'll sell this one on and put the difference towards the newer machine.