Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

162531-app_store_twitter.jpg

Apple today launched an official Twitter account for the App Store, marking yet another potential way for users to keep updated on the latest news about the company's popular marketplace for iOS applications. The account's debut Tweet simply welcomes users to the account, which is up to over 4,000 followers at the present time and rapidly growing.
Welcome to App Store on Twitter! Follow us to discover new apps, get exclusive offers, and share with friends. #appstore
The @AppStore account is not yet verified by Twitter as being a legitimate Apple account, but the initial Tweet was retweet by the company's iTunesTV account, suggesting that it is indeed legitimate.

We don't yet know exactly what Apple plans to highlight with the new AppStore Twitter account, although the company's existing iTunes Twitter accounts offer announcements of new and sale releases on a fairly regular basis, so a similar model might be expected for the @AppStore account.

Article Link: Apple Opens App Store Twitter Account

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Hmm. That's quite nice but just feels kinda odd to me. Feels very un-apple to do so, they don't normally reach out to the consumer like that, but rather use iconography (and ofc brand status) to simply reel them in. And Appshopper is good enough!

Last edited by a moderator:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Is MR going to just re-post all of the Twits coming from @AppStore? Really?

Er, no...and I'm not sure why you'd think we'd do that. We simply updated with the second tweet as an example of what to expect Apple to do with it.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I've never really figured out this twitter thing. I just don't get it.

Well if you care about this appstore stuff, just bookmark this and check it from time to time:

http://twitter.com/appstore

Boom. Done. That's really all you need to know.

I mean, there are many, many other ways to use Twitter, but the most basic way is still "find 1 thing I like, bookmark it and treat it like an RSS feed."

I'll probably follow this 'cause it's likely they'll feature apps that are free for the first day or things like that. Could be interesting. If it's not stuff like that, I probably won't stick around.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
My guess is this is not done by Apple ... is there any reference to this on iTunes?

so the question stands ... is this really done by Apple?

Suspended
Jan 6, 2009
My guess is this is not done by Apple ... is there any reference to this on iTunes?

so the question stands ... is this really done by Apple?

The iTunes twitter accounts (that are verified, as in Twitter has verified that it really is Apple) are following @appstore. So yeah, it's Apple.

Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; GT-P1000 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Is this for mobile apps only or the desktop app store too?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Is MR going to just re-post all of the Twits coming from @AppStore? Really?

This is MacRumors, reporting everything Apple does, so yeah; if Arn feels like retweeting everything they say, yes he will.

Also, this is an Apple based news story, so yes, it is also great to have it covered.

Last edited by a moderator:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Apple + Twitter

Further evidence that Apple and Twitter are cozying up. Is Facebook going to blink? If they're not careful, Apple will expand their social networking efforts in partnership with Twitter and considering the powerhouse that is Apple, Facebook would have some real competition. Time for Zuckerberg to go over to Steve's for dinner again.

kollejboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
Tim Cook's doing?

Hate to speculate but given that Tim is on Nike's board and the first promotion is for the Nike App, one has to wonder if this is more his decision than Steve's...

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Hate to speculate but given that Tim is on Nike's board and the first promotion is for the Nike App, one has to wonder if this is more his decision than Steve's...

My thoughts exactly. This is a collusion perfect storm.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
A reaction to the recent law suit filed by MS regarding the use of 'App Store'?

Has it turned into a lawsuit? I thought they just filed an objection to the name being too generic.

Regarding Twitter.. I burnt out on Twitter.. I think the only way I could get back into it is if I unfollowed everyone and started over.. I only follow a small number but even that small number became too much info... plus many of them are similar and do nothing but retweet what the other previously tweeted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.