PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 vs iMac G4 for iMovie and iDVD

sigamy
Feb 3, 2005, 09:40 AM
I'm itching to speed up my home movie editing (rendering effects, etc) and DVD encoding. I currently have a 1Ghz iMac G4 with 1.25GB RAM.

I'm wondering if I'd see a nice jump in performance from the 1.8Ghz 20" iMac. I actually like the style of my G4 iMac better, but the 20" screen and the G5 make me want to upgrade.

It probably takes a good 3-4 hours to encode a 1hr DVD on my G4. Any idea how long it would take a the G5 iMac?

Is this a worthy upgrade?

Bear
Feb 3, 2005, 09:58 AM
At best you'll see about a 50% performance improvement. And that's if the iMac G5 has the same amount of memory. Get more memory and tings should improve a bit. Especially if you have other applications you're using at the same time. Right now, you're CPU bound, but with a faster system you might become disk I/O bound so it's a it difficult to figure out the exact improvement.

And I'm keeping my iLamp until it dies or becomes totally useless. Although I do have to use my PowerMac for most of my daily stuff, the iLamp does make a nice library computer and music player.