PDA

View Full Version : Setting up dual monitors with a g5

dornoforpyros
Feb 3, 2005, 08:23 PM
Hey folks, can anyone point me to a general how-to for setting up dual monitors with a g5 and the NVIDIA 5200 video card?
I've never actually set up a dual monitor machine before but I've got an old 15" acer with a vga output laying around and I'm planning a picking up a 17" crt for my new PM.
It's not essential that I get both monitors running but i figured with the extra 15" what the hell.

yes I've searched the forums all ready and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Bear
Feb 3, 2005, 08:25 PM
Do you have a PowerMac G5 or an iMac G5?

On a PowerMac, it's plug the monitor in and it's fairly automatic.

On an iMac, Apple only supports video mirroring. There are hacks to enable the dual monitors, but it's not guaranteed to work on all iMacs (or iBooks).

tech4all
Feb 3, 2005, 08:26 PM
Hey folks, can anyone point me to a general how-to for setting up dual monitors with a g5 and the NVIDIA 5200 video card?
I've never actually set up a dual monitor machine before but I've got an old 15" acer with a vga output laying around and I'm planning a picking up a 17" crt for my new PM.
It's not essential that I get both monitors running but i figured with the extra 15" what the hell.

yes I've searched the forums all ready and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

The 5200 has DVI and ADC connections. One monitor needs to be DVI while the other ADC or VGA w/ the ADC to VGA adapter. What kind of connections are your monitors? And I assume you have a PowerMac G5?

I had the same card and have a DVI Cinema Display and ADC Apple Cinema Display.

dornoforpyros
Feb 3, 2005, 08:27 PM
I'v got a powermac on the way. I'm just wondering if I need to pick up any extra adapters and such?
I know the powermac ships with a DVI to VGA adapter but I thinks that would only plug in one of the monitors.

Bear
Feb 3, 2005, 08:35 PM
I'v got a powermac on the way. I'm just wondering if I need to pick up any extra adapters and such?
I know the powermac ships with a DVI to VGA adapter but I thinks that would only plug in one of the monitors.If you're attaching two VGA monitors, you would need an ADC to VGA adapter for the second monitor.

dornoforpyros
Feb 3, 2005, 08:39 PM
If you're attaching two VGA monitors, you would need an ADC to VGA adapter for the second monitor.

Ahh thank ya! So it IS possible to connect 2 VGA monitors than?

tech4all
Feb 3, 2005, 09:07 PM
Ahh thank ya! So it IS possible to connect 2 VGA monitors than?

If you have a DVI to VGA and ADC to VGA adapters, then yes it should work.

dornoforpyros
Feb 3, 2005, 09:13 PM
If you have a DVI to VGA and ADC to VGA adapters, then yes it should work.

cool! thanks for the help everyone.