Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1984dc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Hello everyone here on the forums!

I was wondering if anyone had installed Leopard onto a Power mac G5 2.3ghz PPC (early 2005)?

If so how was the instalation? Did it work straight out of the box? Where there any instalalation tricks or anything i need to know/do before installing?

I would like to move over to Leopard but i would like to get someones confirmation that the leapord works on this particular model before forking out £30.oo on the os cds.

many thanks in advance

dc :apple:

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Leopard works great on G5 machines. If you really can find it for 30 quid jump on it. It usually costs us over $100 here in the US. Just remember that the G5 can only run Leopard, not Snow Leopard.

TEG

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Hello everyone here on the forums!

I was wondering if anyone had installed Leopard onto a Power mac G5 2.3ghz PPC (early 2005)?

If so how was the instalation? Did it work straight out of the box? Where there any instalalation tricks or anything i need to know/do before installing?

I would like to move over to Leopard but i would like to get someones confirmation that the leapord works on this particular model before forking out £30.oo on the os cds.

many thanks in advance

dc :apple:
It also needs to be said you cant purchase 10.5 Leopard from Apple. (The 10.6 discs for 29.95 that Apple currently sells wont work on your G5 - they are Intel only).

slanted

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
I have a late 2005 2.0. I bought 10.5 from Apple a couple of weeks ago for $129 and then grabbed the 10.5.8 combo update from the Apple site. Just call their 800 number, whatever it is in the UK.

Installation was a breeze off the disk then ran the update from a hard drive. You could probably just grab the update after loading Leopard.

The software runs great, I think it's faster than Tiger and definitely has more features. I'm new to macs and this is a great forum.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.