PDA

View Full Version : MBA cannot recognize displays

Psilocybin
Jan 29, 2011, 01:58 PM
Anyone have a problem with their MBA not recognising 2nd displays?
I plug my adapter into the mini display port and the screen on my air flashes/ turns blue for a second than back to the desktop and all my displays just say no signal

Tried 2 different dvi cables I'm returning my mdp to dvi adapter

Hellhammer
Jan 29, 2011, 02:04 PM
Have you checked Displays section in System Preferences? Does the 2nd display appear there?

Psilocybin
Jan 29, 2011, 02:07 PM
Have you checked Displays section in System Preferences? Does the 2nd display appear there?

no it does not

Ronnoco
Jan 29, 2011, 02:57 PM
no it does not

Have you tried powering down the MBA with the new display connected and restarting...that worked for me with the Samsung P2770FH that my new 27" ACD just replaced and a Moshie MDP>HDMI adapter...no problems with the ACD as it was recognized immediately (obviously, no adapter necessary)

Psilocybin
Jan 29, 2011, 03:24 PM

Have you tried powering down the MBA with the new display connected and restarting...that worked for me with the Samsung P2770FH that my new 27" ACD just replaced and a Moshie MDP>HDMI adapter...no problems with the ACD as it was recognized immediately (obviously, no adapter necessary)

ya tried that as well no go....
im getting the adapter replaced right now....i guess ill be calling apple if this doesnt work

Ronnoco
Jan 29, 2011, 03:25 PM
ya tried that as well no go....
im getting the adapter replaced right now....i guess ill be calling apple if this doesnt work

Indeed...although it very well could be the adapter...good luck and report back!

Psilocybin
Jan 29, 2011, 03:28 PM
Indeed...although it very well could be the adapter...good luck and report back!

the screen flashes on my MBA when i plug the adapter in, meaning its adding another display so i dont think its the port. We shall see

Psilocybin
Jan 29, 2011, 04:45 PM
apparently it is a problem with the port i called apple because it still didnt work with a new adapter.

need to get the port looked at

Ronnoco
Jan 29, 2011, 06:23 PM
apparently it is a problem with the port i called apple because it still didnt work with a new adapter.

need to get the port looked at

bummer...:mad:
Get'er fixed up!

Psilocybin
Jan 29, 2011, 06:29 PM
What I also read was a lot of people are having problems with mdp to dvi, maybe it is because I'm converting it to VGA? I bought a mdp to VGA going to try this. If I can get this to work I'll wait till my warranty is almost over to get a new air

Ronnoco
Jan 29, 2011, 06:34 PM
What I also read was a lot of people are having problems with mdp to dvi, maybe it is because I'm converting it to VGA? I bought a mdp to VGA going to try this. If I can get this to work I'll wait till my warranty is almost over to get a new air

I've only used MDP>VGA (Apple brand) and MDP>HDMI (Moshie) and both worked well, but I did try using a HDMI to DVI cable to connect to my Samsung's DVI port and it worked fine (that was with the Moshie MDP>HDMI adapter)...

Psilocybin
Jan 29, 2011, 06:46 PM
I've only used MDP>VGA (Apple brand) and MDP>HDMI (Moshie) and both worked well, but I did try using a HDMI to DVI cable to connect to my Samsung's DVI port and it worked fine (that was with the Moshie MDP>HDMI adapter)...

Maybe it's just fussy, I'll try this and report back

Psilocybin
Jan 29, 2011, 07:47 PM
Well it appears the MBA's have a problem with converting the dvi to VGA. The mdp to VGA works great

Hellhammer
Jan 30, 2011, 02:39 AM
So were you using mDP to DVI + DVI to VGA adapter? That might not work as IIRC the Apple's mDP to DVI adapter is DVI-D, meaning that it cannot carry analog signal that VGA uses.

Ronnoco
Jan 30, 2011, 02:44 AM
Well it appears the MBA's have a problem with converting the dvi to VGA. The mdp to VGA works great

interesting...

Jamie37211
Jan 30, 2011, 08:05 AM
So were you using mDP to DVI + DVI to VGA adapter? That might not work as IIRC the Apple's mDP to DVI adapter is DVI-D, meaning that it cannot carry analog signal that VGA uses.

You are correct. That is why they also sell a miniDP-to-vga adapter. Chaining them together that way is never a good idea...to many points at which something might go pear shaped. Simpler is better.

Psilocybin
Jan 30, 2011, 08:51 AM
You are correct. That is why they also sell a miniDP-to-vga adapter. Chaining them together that way is never a good idea...to many points at which something might go pear shaped. Simpler is better.

hmm..i dont know why i missed that well thanks for the explanation guys