Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Anyone have a problem with their MBA not recognising 2nd displays?
I plug my adapter into the mini display port and the screen on my air flashes/ turns blue for a second than back to the desktop and all my displays just say no signal

Tried 2 different dvi cables I'm returning my mdp to dvi adapter

Last edited:

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
no it does not

Have you tried powering down the MBA with the new display connected and restarting...that worked for me with the Samsung P2770FH that my new 27" ACD just replaced and a Moshie MDP>HDMI adapter...no problems with the ACD as it was recognized immediately (obviously, no adapter necessary)

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Have you checked Displays section in System Preferences? Does the 2nd display appear there?

Have you tried powering down the MBA with the new display connected and restarting...that worked for me with the Samsung P2770FH that my new 27" ACD just replaced and a Moshie MDP>HDMI adapter...no problems with the ACD as it was recognized immediately (obviously, no adapter necessary)

ya tried that as well no go....
im getting the adapter replaced right now....i guess ill be calling apple if this doesnt work

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
apparently it is a problem with the port i called apple because it still didnt work with a new adapter.

need to get the port looked at

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
What I also read was a lot of people are having problems with mdp to dvi, maybe it is because I'm converting it to VGA? I bought a mdp to VGA going to try this. If I can get this to work I'll wait till my warranty is almost over to get a new air

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
What I also read was a lot of people are having problems with mdp to dvi, maybe it is because I'm converting it to VGA? I bought a mdp to VGA going to try this. If I can get this to work I'll wait till my warranty is almost over to get a new air

I've only used MDP>VGA (Apple brand) and MDP>HDMI (Moshie) and both worked well, but I did try using a HDMI to DVI cable to connect to my Samsung's DVI port and it worked fine (that was with the Moshie MDP>HDMI adapter)...

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I've only used MDP>VGA (Apple brand) and MDP>HDMI (Moshie) and both worked well, but I did try using a HDMI to DVI cable to connect to my Samsung's DVI port and it worked fine (that was with the Moshie MDP>HDMI adapter)...

Maybe it's just fussy, I'll try this and report back

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
So were you using mDP to DVI + DVI to VGA adapter? That might not work as IIRC the Apple's mDP to DVI adapter is DVI-D, meaning that it cannot carry analog signal that VGA uses.

Jamie37211

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
So were you using mDP to DVI + DVI to VGA adapter? That might not work as IIRC the Apple's mDP to DVI adapter is DVI-D, meaning that it cannot carry analog signal that VGA uses.

You are correct. That is why they also sell a miniDP-to-vga adapter. Chaining them together that way is never a good idea...to many points at which something might go pear shaped. Simpler is better.

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
You are correct. That is why they also sell a miniDP-to-vga adapter. Chaining them together that way is never a good idea...to many points at which something might go pear shaped. Simpler is better.

hmm..i dont know why i missed that well thanks for the explanation guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.