PDA

View Full Version : Connecting an outdoor speaker to my Apple TV

Branchapmana
Jan 28, 2011, 11:31 PM
How easy is it to connect an outdoor speaker to my apple tv ? I'm wanting to be able to listen to my music whilst outside my back garden. My apple tv is situated in my living room. What equipment would I need ?

Gee
Feb 1, 2011, 05:13 AM
How easy is it to connect an outdoor speaker to my apple tv ? I'm wanting to be able to listen to my music whilst outside my back garden. My apple tv is situated in my living room. What equipment would I need ?

A really long digital optical cable that reaches to your garden, or more practically an Airport Express and a power cable extension so you can stream music via Airplay

Hammie
Feb 1, 2011, 09:28 AM

Depending on the distance from your house and quality of sound you want, you could just get a wireless speaker like this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AQ30T0) and control the Apple TV or iTunes with the Apple iPhone/iPad Remote app.

Lumpy05
Feb 2, 2011, 11:04 AM

I have speakers on my deck that I run airplay music to via my living room A/V receiver's second zone and an airport express. The apple TV wont work in my situation because I need analog inputs to the second zone and the ATV only has digital output.

So to use the apple tv you will need a receiver/amplifier to take the digital signal and convert to amplified speaker output, and a set of outdoor speakers. You would need to run outdoor rated speaker wire from the receiver/amp to the speakers.

tommylotto
Feb 2, 2011, 11:24 AM
I have an electrical outlet in the BBQ island next to my back yard. In a waterproof box in the island I have an airport express to which I wirelessly stream music from my iMac or my AppleTV libraries inside the house. The airport express is connected to a marine amplifier (basically, a waterproof stereo amp designed for boats). The marine amplifier is connected to outdoor rock shaped speakers with speaker wires which are buried in the dirt.

For music, all you need to do is switch on the marine amp. With the iPhone you can select the music source, speaker output, and volume.

This equipment has been outside for two and a half years now and still works like a charm.

paulrbeers
Feb 2, 2011, 11:40 AM
I have outdoor speakers on my deck. Inside the house I have a cheap stereo amplifier with the speaker wires running thru a small hole in the house to the speakers. Connected to the cheap stereo amplifier is an Airport Express.

You can get a current generation refurbed Airport express for 69.99 thru the apple store (check periodically because they go in and out of stock). In the house, I also have my two appletv's hooked to my two home theater receivers so I can plan the same song all thru out the house using my ipad to control it all.