Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

112551-verizon_att_iphones_bgr_500.jpg

While it appears that at least one lucky customer was able to obtain his Verizon iPhone over the weekend, the initial wave of pre-orders for existing Verizon customers is now making its way to their doorsteps in significant quantities.

BGR has already received its order and has put together a small gallery of photos showing the device, packaging, and included materials from Verizon.

Obviously the Verizon iPhone is extremely similar to the GSM iPhone used on AT&T and other carriers around the world, and some of the minor differences between the two versions have been covered in the early reviews, but we'll be keeping our eyes out for any significant observations about the new CDMA-based iPhone as more users begin to get their hands on it.

The Verizon iPhone marked the fastest debut in the carrier's history, despite launching in the middle of the night and being limited to existing Verizon customers. The carrier sold through its initial allotment of iPhones within 17 hours and stopped taking pre-orders at that point. Customers still looking to obtain a Verizon iPhone will need to wait until this Thursday, although Apple has announced that it will begin taking orders and reservations on Wednesday.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone Pre-Orders Now Arriving in Quantity

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Cue the "Why would any want a Verizon iPhone? You can't get simultaneous voice + data and the data's slower!" and the "Why would you want simultaneous voice + data anyways? At least I get coverage in my area!" posts.

Amazing how people think that everyone else is just like them in both their needs & environment. Seems like these people can't imagine that there may be people with, dare I say it? Different needs? I know, blasphemy!

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Imagine that:

You order something , it gets shipped, AND it arrives
and it gets news coverage on MacRumors.

Wow! What a country.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Glad to see they didn't hold them up until the official release date like they have done with AT&T iPhones in the past!

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I'm very happy for the Verizon folks who could not or would not switch to AT&T and had to wait for this day. I've been an AT&T customer for a decade, but where I live there is fantastic coverage. I've travelled places that have had horrible coverage and I don't know how some iPhone owners in those areas were able to bear it for so long.

I will acknowledge that AT&T has been improving and will likely improve even more in the worst areas as many subscribers jump ship. For me, data speeds and simultaneous voice/data are important enough to keep me with AT&T especially since my home town has great coverage and I rarely travel. But finally having an option in the U.S. that does not involve handing in my iPhone feels really good.

I would imagine that many of the AT&T customers in my situation are really interested to see when the first LTE iPhone will arrive and whether Verizon is going to beat AT&T to that.

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Imagine that:

You order something , it gets shipped, AND it arrives
and it gets news coverage on MacRumors.

Wow! What a country.

If this was about a new Apple notebook that got shipped and received or Mac OS X Tiger, AT&T fanboys like you wouldn't be saying things like this. Nuff said.

macjunkie33

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
OH
Just activated my 32GB iPhone. No lines, no customer support, no stores. THIS WAS THE WAY TO DO IT!!! Well worth staying up till 3am for. So pumped right now.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I would imagine that many of the AT&T customers in my situation are really interested to see when the first LTE iPhone will arrive and whether Verizon is going to beat AT&T to that.

I would imagine all future updates will be for Verizon and AT&T at the same time.

My best guess is this summer's iPhone will not be a major hardware improvement over the iPhone 4. Maybe a little faster, more G.B's, but pretty much the same thing as the iPhone 4. Apple will focus on software this time around giving iPhone users much needed features and frankly they'll play some catching up.

In summer of 2012 we'll see the next major hardware revision and it'll have LTE. By then Verizon will have the vast majority of their network using LTE and AT&T will have lit up their first three markets.

CopyPaste

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
Oh God

Here we go, iTunes got into an infinite loop during activation of Agreeing to TOS. I unplugged it, everything appeared fine, and then my phone can't activate. Verizon will "call me back in 30 minutes" with a solution, but my ESN didnt get transferred over....

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
Lucky?

While it appears that at least one lucky customer* was able to obtain his Verizon iPhone over the weekend.......

* causing over 200 posts to be removed from MacRumors due to excessive snarkieness.

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
I would imagine all future updates will be for Verizon and AT&T at the same time.

My best guess is this summer's iPhone will not be a major hardware improvement over the iPhone 4. Maybe a little faster, more G.B's, but pretty much the same thing as the iPhone 4. Apple will focus on software this time around giving iPhone users much needed features and frankly they'll play some catching up.

In summer of 2012 we'll see the next major hardware revision and it'll have LTE. By then Verizon will have the vast majority of their network using LTE and AT&T will have lit up their first three markets.
I still say January 2012 for next release, focusing on iOS and Mac OS X this year, releasing new device nearly a 12 months after launch on verizon and 18 months after launch on AT&T, ignoring the whole June iPhone phenom altogether.

aimeeinohio

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
My friend got hers today. I can't order for me and hubby till the end of the week. I told friend I expected a full report on her iPhone by the end of the day. LOL

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I'm very happy for the Verizon folks who could not or would not switch to AT&T and had to wait for this day. I've been an AT&T customer for a decade, but where I live there is fantastic coverage. I've travelled places that have had horrible coverage and I don't know how some iPhone owners in those areas were able to bear it for so long.

I will acknowledge that AT&T has been improving and will likely improve even more in the worst areas as many subscribers jump ship. For me, data speeds and simultaneous voice/data are important enough to keep me with AT&T especially since my home town has great coverage and I rarely travel. But finally having an option in the U.S. that does not involve handing in my iPhone feels really good.

LTE=iPhone 2012

iPhone 5 June 6th. Same antenna as Verizon but different innards. Will have NFC.

Apple avoids recall of at&t phone by "discovering by chance" a better GSM antenna as well.

Not clear on Verizon 5 yet. Depends if the 5 is truly Dual Band or not. Good chance it will be a "World Phone".

Definitely no LTE till 2012. It simply is not ready for prime time yet.:apple:

ma5ter5

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Outside
FedEx Tracking Delays

"Package deliveries are proceeding as normal; however, tracking updates are temporarily being delayed. Please try back later. Thank you."

Keep getting this message at the top of the FedEx tracking page. I hope they're right and the phone comes today. Anyone else see this message?

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
While it appears that at least one lucky customer* was able to obtain his Verizon iPhone over the weekend.......

* causing over 200 posts to be removed from MacRumors due to excessive snarkieness.

I was wondering what happened to my post! i guess cuz it had something to do with rabies...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.